Hampton v/s District 1 (A)

To coin this game in one word, Classic comes to mine. A little old, a little new, but without a doubt a classic. Hughes is an amazing player and also a good person and has a great family supporting him. Best of luck to him. In my opinion the best guard in the area. Not just because he has the potential to be a prolific scorer on any given night, but because of the leadership he provides to a very young and talented team which deperately need him to lean on.

As far as Unaka goes, Im am very pleased to finally see something is back which has defined the program over the past couple decades. Something that just makes peoples stomachs quiver. Something so easy but powerful enough to make teams ultimately dread playing against it. Is it magical? no... Can it be coached? emphasized at best.... Does it take an exceptional athlete to do? not at all... I have been thoroughly refreshed tonight. THIS IS UNAKA RANGER BASKETBALL!!!-Effort, Determination, Hardwork, PRIDE, and alot of heart. Anything else is unacceptable.

Good Luck to both teams the remainder of the season and throughout the tournaments.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't want anyone to take this too bad, because i bleed blue and go to almost all sporting events etc. but last night during the boys game i set behind the boys and observed the worst thing i have ever seen in a ballgame from a coach at hampton no names are going to be mentioned but afterr seeing how one of the coachs jumped in one of the boys faces and degraded him and told him how bad he was (in so many words) right in is ear as loud as he could

then after that one of the fans try to take up for the boy (a Woman) he told her off too. As for me if i had a child that could play high school basketball it would not be for him also this bulldog team has alot of talent and could go along way with a little ENCOURAGMENT not downing and cusing!!!

RangerCountry, good call on the "classic" game last night. Both teams played well and Unaka did play with more heart. It seems as if they are doing that more and more each night. The guards from Hampton played well, too and it made for one of those matchups between two teams that are big-time rivals. It should be intersting to see how things play out in the tournament, especially when these two teams meet again.

I saw the player-coach exchange on the bench as well last night. Both coaching staffs are were coaching their teams hard, as they should. I didn't hear what was said on the Hampton bench, but I could see what was going on. Some of the things that happen on the floor and on the bench (who knows when they are off the floor) with this particular "coach" has to be pretty embarrasing. From the games I have seen (and last night), Coach Minton from Unaka is tough on the players but he is encouraging at the same time and it shows in how hard the players play. It's just a matter of time before that team gets a big win, and it will probably come during the tournament.

Congratulations to both teams in a hard-fought battle last night that could have ended either way. However, when something like what happened on the bench stands out in a big home conference victory, it takes focus off of what the players accomplish and puts it on the coaching staff..... pretty selfish.

RangerCountry, good call on the "classic" game last night. Both teams played well and Unaka did play with more heart. It seems as if they are doing that more and more each night. The guards from Hampton played well, too and it made for one of those matchups between two teams that are big-time rivals. It should be intersting to see how things play out in the tournament, especially when these two teams meet again.

I saw the player-coach exchange on the bench as well last night. Both coaching staffs are were coaching their teams hard, as they should. I didn't hear what was said on the Hampton bench, but I could see what was going on. Some of the things that happen on the floor and on the bench (who knows when they are off the floor) with this particular "coach" has to be pretty embarrasing. From the games I have seen (and last night), Coach Minton from Unaka is tough on the players but he is encouraging at the same time and it shows in how hard the players play. It's just a matter of time before that team gets a big win, and it will probably come during the tournament.

Congratulations to both teams in a hard-fought battle last night that could have ended either way. However, when something like what happened on the bench stands out in a big home conference victory, it takes focus off of what the players accomplish and puts it on the coaching staff..... pretty selfish.

i agree that you can be tuff and you have to be to high school kids but they way he acted and the things he said like "great job all american" , "stupid shooting", and "you can rot on the bench for all i care" with a few choice words in there is not a great confidence builder! Minton did do a good job looks like if he stays in there he will be a fine coach

i don't want anyone to take this too bad, because i bleed blue and go to almost all sporting events etc. but last night during the boys game i set behind the boys and observed the worst thing i have ever seen in a ballgame from a coach at hampton no names are going to be mentioned but afterr seeing how one of the coachs jumped in one of the boys faces and degraded him and told him how bad he was (in so many words) right in is ear as loud as he could

then after that one of the fans try to take up for the boy (a Woman) he told her off too. As for me if i had a child that could play high school basketball it would not be for him also this bulldog team has alot of talent and could go along way with a little ENCOURAGMENT not downing and cusing!!!

This is something that has been going on ALL year. Yes we won, and that's good for the boys, but at what cost? There is no "I" in team or coaching staff. At times I can't help but wonder who is running the show. I'm afraid this is a bad situation getting covered up by W's. Is this something that could cost us players in the future? Is this something that could cause players that are in the program to go to another school?

This is something that has been going on ALL year. Yes we won, and that's good for the boys, but at what cost? There is no "I" in team or coaching staff. At times I can't help but wonder who is running the show. I'm afraid this is a bad situation getting covered up by W's. Is this something that could cost us players in the future? Is this something that could cause players that are in the program to go to another school?

i tell you if that was me he did that to last night i would have handed him my jersey and i hated it for the boys they are a talented bunch of kids! and as good as they are doing now just think how good they could be doing!

i agree that you can be tuff and you have to be to high school kids but they way he acted and the things he said like "great job all american" , "stupid shooting", and "you can rot on the bench for all i care" with a few choice words in there is not a great confidence builder! Minton did do a good job looks like if he stays in there he will be a fine coach

So let me get this sraight. You are mad at a coach for saying HORRIBLE things like "great job all-american," "stupid shooting," and "you can rot on the bench for all I care?" Give me a break. Have you not ever played a sport? Much, much, much worse things are said to players than that crap. If a player is taking stupid shots, what do you want him to say to him? The other things that are said are for motivation and there was nothing degrading with what he said. That player had not scored at that point. Did you notice what he player did after this? He came alive. After the game the player was saying that he needed someone to jump down his throat at that point in the game, and that he was playing "deadheaded" until the coach got on him. And the coach did not say one single cuss word. So if you are hinting that he cussed the player, you are mistaken. I am also purty sure that the players like the coach. I mean, they are gonna get mad and hate his guts at times, but they generally like him I think. As long as the Dawgs keep winning and the players and coaches are fine (which they are), I could care less if the fans are crying about a kid getting called an "all-american."

On a lighter note, I would like to congratulate the Hampton freshmen team on goin undefeated this season with the overtime win over Unaka this morning. That makes only 1 loss in the past 2 years for Hampton's freshmen team. Tyler Trusler finished his solid freshmen season with 31 points today. It's also nice to see James Hasslett wearing the Bulldog uniform. It looks as if Trusler, Hasslett, and Scalf could see alot of playing time next year on the Dawgs varsity and be a big part of this Hampton team over the next couple of years...

i tell you if that was me he did that to last night i would have handed him my jersey and i hated it for the boys they are a talented bunch of kids! and as good as they are doing now just think how good they could be doing!

Please name a team that the Dawgs have lost to that before the season began you HONESTLY expected Hampton to beat... The Hampton coaching staff is doing a great job with this team. They have not lost a conference game or a game against a 1A opponent and they have a legitimate shot at going to the state tourney. If horrible coaching leads to results like this, thats fine with me...

The only thing wrong with Hampton basketball right now is our fans. People get on here and complain rather we win by fifty or lose by fifty and that??™s ridiculous. This isn??™t youth club basketball and our coaches are going to say some things to motivate a player from time to time and they should. People need to grow up and find something else to complain about. Even if you have a problem with our coaches personally that??™s no reason to bash them when they are winning games. We are having a great season and our coaches deserve a great deal of credit.

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

There are many people who simply can't be pleases, one way or another. Many coaches will light up a player from time to to (1)get a players head right, and (2) to get all the players to realize they are the coach. I've seen all sorts of coaches all over the area go into all sorts of tirades at games, this is nothing new. There have been times I've wanted to go into locker rooms and bless out players myself, but I know the coaches will do what they do to get the kids to respond. It would be wonderful if it wasn't necessary, but there are times a player needs to see they aren't all that, or that they just aren't giving it what they should. We as fans don't see all that happens or is said at practice or on the sidelines, and we are probably happier for it. I've heaard that at one time or another, every player has heard that they are the worst player to ever wear their school's jersey. It's called "tough love", and every coach uses it. Ever see Pat Summitt and her "stare"? Yikes. I think people need to calm down on the coaches, rally behind the team, ( who by the way is in first place in case they hadn't noticed) and stop all this bickering about playing time, hurt feelings, etc. Let the coaches do their job, and just enjoy the results, because the results are starting to show!

There are many people who simply can't be pleases, one way or another. Many coaches will light up a player from time to to (1)get a players head right, and (2) to get all the players to realize they are the coach. I've seen all sorts of coaches all over the area go into all sorts of tirades at games, this is nothing new. There have been times I've wanted to go into locker rooms and bless out players myself, but I know the coaches will do what they do to get the kids to respond. It would be wonderful if it wasn't necessary, but there are times a player needs to see they aren't all that, or that they just aren't giving it what they should. We as fans don't see all that happens or is said at practice or on the sidelines, and we are probably happier for it. I've heaard that at one time or another, every player has heard that they are the worst player to ever wear their school's jersey. It's called "tough love", and every coach uses it. Ever see Pat Summitt and her "stare"? Yikes. I think people need to calm down on the coaches, rally behind the team, ( who by the way is in first place in case they hadn't noticed) and stop all this bickering about playing time, hurt feelings, etc. Let the coaches do their job, and just enjoy the results, because the results are starting to show!

To be honest, it's the language that the coaches are using. Personally, I don't think it's right. It's not just basketball at Hampton that has this problem, it's all three boys' teams. If it's wrong it's wrong, winning or losing. My point is, I don't know if I ,as a parent, can let my son play for people or coaches like this.