The Prevention of Sports Injuries

lilc3

Certainly, there are things that people say you can do to help prevent injuries and it may help if only mentally, but a top orthopedic surgeon known to many once talked about it like this to me. He said that girls are simply not physically made to play sports. He went on to say this does not mean that they are not gifted athletes and will continue to be, he was speaking from a purely physiological standpoint. The ratio of knee injuries is two to five times (ACL) higher rate girls than boys. The good doctor went on to say that in all probability this will continue. An example Vicki Baugh of the Lady Vols, a truly gifted athlete with unlimited potential. She tore her ACL for the second time in less than a year last Tuesday. This player was bull strong athletic as they come and her future as one of the Lady Vol greats would have surprised no one. But now, she will be very fortunate indeed to regain her former playing status due to devastating knee injuries. She is only nineteen or twenty year old. This is a women's sports fact of life. I am all for any safe prevention exercises and drills that may help to slow down the occurence of injuries. But it won't change the physiological realities of being female and playing hard physical sports, there are going to be injuries at a much higher rate than male athletes. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i heard about Viki Baugh, well i was watching the game and i saw it happen. I thought it looked like ACL to me. really stinks for her.

I know alot of injuries like stress fractures and things of the such are definately over-use things that are often the coach's or player's fault from not giving their body a break from intense conditioning. so i know that can be prevented. But breaks and things... diet can be argued. But you can only do so much.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard about Viki Baugh, well i was watching the game and i saw it happen. I thought it looked like ACL to me. really stinks for her.

I know alot of injuries like stress fractures and things of the such are definately over-use things that are often the coach's or player's fault from not giving their body a break from intense conditioning. so i know that can be prevented. But breaks and things... diet can be argued. But you can only do so much.

[/qu lilc3, good points have been made so far. A question. Is it worth it to you and for any other female athletes to stop playing athletics. Should you consult with your Dr. the chances of injuries occuring? And is the reason you started this thread was to see any precautionary measures athletes could take to reduce the incidence of female injuries in athletics. One side mention consideration of just stopping any activity but does that stop anyone from ever having an ankle sprain or one or two or even 3 acls in a lifetime? There are trainers, therapists and even Doctors that frequent this site that might recommend or not recommend ankle braces for an athlete who has a lot of ankle sprains. Some schools require their athletes to wear them and if you might look at teams participating and count how many have them on, it could give one some thought. Are they 100% failsafe? I would think not but might they cut down severity, someone else who deals with this might want to answer. The poster who posted on running until one would almost drop or pass out is obvious to me and is really one of my pet peaves. If I'm not mistaken, KnightTimes is a trainer around the Hendersonville area and there oare others that are in and out of this thread that can give suggestions how not to totally prevent but to cut down incidence of injuries if you are inclined to want to be active. Stats of programs entered by schools and how many injuries were reduced over a period of time would be helpful to active females still wanting to play. Those people who had some of that information used to be on these threads. Is the incidence of injuries greater with females than males? Every year this subject has been on this site, the answer is yes but dispair not? It may not be inevitable. As some of the things mentioned already have been reported to be of help and some can give this site periodicals to go to that gives some evidence. hopefully a trainer in Knoxville, a Trainer in Chattanooga, a Physician in lebanon, a Physical Thearapist in Murfreesboro. a trainer in Memphis and a orthapedic medical person in nashvillle might make their way on this site and share some information you are looking for and many other young athletes. One precaution though, visiblely looking at the athletes at a school and seeing how many are having incidences that cause them to be on crutches or for that matter other injuriesi can give you a clue of how good their program is. yes I've been to games, matches at many schools over the years and have been dismayed at how many players are on crutches, etc, at some schools and other schools there are none and have tried to see the differences. Some schools have athletic trainers and some don't. Some have the time it takes to warm up and stretch and some don't. There is a myrid of other differences but thats what , I think, you are asking for and there are posters on this thread that have thoughts and you have already had some of them start showing up. This is a serious matter and while there are more females that have injuries, there are many ways to cut down the incidence without just destroying things you like to do in your life. Revealing is a fact that is significant. Only one in ten athletes have acl problems which means 9 don't. If one takes care of themselves and has access to proper techniques which I hope are brought out here, it drops the incidence. Lets bring on some suggestions to lower the anxiety level of players. However some of the damage may have already occured before the preventive techniques are done. Which mean likely every Middle School athlete need to be aware along with their parents. There is no guarantee though and information provided should be run by ones Dr or trainer.

Luv, appreciate your heart felt, down to earth post and DL, you may have posted in past years, your suggested readings are appreciated and Lilac3, your help on this and the other thread is invaluable and keep them both going while you are recouping. You are helping and the ones helping you to bring these subjects to the forefront where they should be so that many can be made aware of the physical and phycological effects of sports injuries and how to avoid them.

Luv, appreciate your heart felt, down to earth post and DL, you may have posted in past years, your suggested readings are appreciated and Lilac3, your help on this and the other thread is invaluable and keep them both going while you are recouping. You are helping and the ones helping you to bring these subjects to the forefront where they should be so that many can be made aware of the physical and phycological effects of sports injuries and how to avoid them.

Here is a great article I saved from ESPN.COM 3 years ago.

Proper training can reduce ACL risks in female athletesEmail Print By Anna Gramling

ESPN.com

Archive

It's the three-letter acronym that is every athlete's nightmare.

Yet a torn ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is an injury that can't be ignored, especially by female athletes.

What is the anterior cruciate ligament?

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of four knee ligaments that connect the upper leg bone (femur) with the lower leg bone (tibia). The ACL stabilizes knee movement by:

??? Preventing the lower leg bone from sliding forward or turning inward when the leg is straight.

??? Preventing the knee from being stretched or straightened beyond its normal limits (hyperextended).

??? Supporting the knee ligaments that keep the knee from bending sideways.

Source: WebMD

According to The Houston Chronicle, one in every 10 female college athletes will suffer a torn ACL each year.

Recent statistics show the chances for a major knee injury are four to eight times higher for females than males.

Why such a large discrepancy between men and women? The answer to that question remains unresolved, but there are numerous theories. Some link the higher injury rate in females to environmental, anatomic, hormonal and biomechanical factors, while others claim that differences in training (coaching and strength techniques) lead to the devastating injury.

"I think that being in great shape physically can help in preventing an ACL tear, but I honestly believe that an ACL injury can happen to anyone at any time," Baylor softball player Kelly Osburn told ESPN.com. The outfielder tore the ACL in her right knee in 2005 before making a comeback last season.

"When my injury occurred, I feel like I was in very good shape, and that is why it came as a huge shock to me. Now that I have had some time off, I am just starting to feel pain free. I still do not feel like I have all of the strength back in my right leg."

MVP Sports Media Training

North Carolina State guard Billie McDowell spent the summer rehabbing from a torn ACL.Some NCAA schools emphasize proper training and exercise, including a strong strength and conditioning program, in hopes of reducing the risks for their athletes.

Sara Wiley, the strength and conditioning coach at Minnesota, says her players utilize a multidimensional approach to prevention.

"First, we teach athletes to decelerate with proper mechanics either from a jump or a sprint. This way, we reinforce proper mechanics of landing and deceleration, as well as strengthen around the joint. It also contributes to the development of explosiveness, quickness and agility. We also move in multiple planes [i.e. forward-backward, side-to-side, etc.] In addition, we include simple drills that teach the nervous system to fire rapidly, as well as promote stability around the knee joint."

Wiley also has her athletes participate in preventive exercises that she says set the stage for further development of performance (speed, power, quickness and agility).

"We do activities prior to strength training or conditioning that can be consider 'prehab' type exercises that fit nicely in the warm up -- single and double leg line hops, catching and throwing while the athlete is squatting, single leg hamstring work, etc., to activate the hamstrings prior to beginning training. These vary daily, but [they] reinforce the mechanics, balance, coordination and muscle activation we are training more aggressively in the actual workout."

In the case of the women's basketball team at Tennessee, it's about wearing the right shoes.

Jenny Moshak, the Vols' assistant athletics director for sports medicine who works primarily with Pat Summitt's team, said she talked with adidas about redesigning their shoes a few years ago.

Moshak requested several characteristics in a shoe:

1. A neutral last -- which is the bottom base of the shoe around which the rest of the shoe is constructed -- as opposed to a curved last. This was to start with a neutral base.

2. A high and deep heel counter, which is the portion of the shoe that stabilizes the heel of the foot once it hits the ground. A shoe will not be able to control how [or in what position] an athlete's heel hits the ground. However, once it does hit, the heel should not move, slide or rotate.

3. A stable forefoot -- not flimsy. The movement in a foot/shoe should occur at the midfoot and not the forefoot.

4. Proportions suitable for narrow feet. Just because a foot gets longer, it does not necessarily get incrementally wider.

"The relationship between the shoe construction and ACL prevention is that we do a lot with foot orthosis," Moshak said. "If our athletes' feet do not hit the ground in a neutral position, we will bring the ground up to their foot with orthotics and correct biomechanical issues. Therefore, we want stable, neutral, movement-correct, properly fitting shoes so that the orthotic works optimally."

The Lady Vols have been wearing shoes with these characteristics since 1999, according to Moshak. Although they do not keep statistics on whether or not the shoes prevent injuries, Moshak is convinced that they help in alleviating a number of injuries.

How do you avoid another ACL injury?

If you have already had an ACL injury, you can avoid another ACL injury by:

??? Strengthening the injured knee through rehabilitation exercises.

??? Changing your sports techniques to avoid motions that might stress the injured knee.

??? Changing your lifestyle to avoid sports that have a high risk of injuring your knee further, such as skiing, football, soccer or basketball.

??? Wearing a knee brace during high-risk activities. However, braces should be used only if rehabilitation is also being done. Wearing a brace alone may be of little benefit and may give you a false sense of security.

Another popular and rigorous program that helps reduce ACL injuries and enhance performance is Sportsmetrics, which was founded by renowned Cincinnati surgeon Dr. Frank Noyes.

The U.S. Naval Academy, Kentucky, North Carolina, Washington, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Kansas and Baylor are just a few of the Division I schools that have used Sportsmetrics, administrative director Tommy Campbell said.

The principle element of Sportsmetrics teaches female athletes the benefits of proper jumping and landing techniques.

Sportsmetrics is a six-week rehabilitation program that consists of three one-hour sessions per week. It incorporates stretches, jump/plyometric training, and strength and coordination exercises. The landing techniques emphasized by Sportsmetrics allow for more controlled knee joint actions while providing stability at the same time.

Participating in one or all of these methods isn't foolproof and an ACL injury can still occur. But the earlier a female athlete begins a preventive program, the better off she may be in the long run.

"I can tell you that in the last five years we have trained and/or tested over 1,000 female athletes," Campbell said. "Our program is geared for high school athletes and in our attempt to train as many athletes as possible, we feel comfortable that the athletes that decide to continue their sporting careers are trained in the areas of injury prevention. The goal is to train younger athletes in order to give them the chance to continue their career and not to be out of their sport due to a preventable injury."

Here is a great article I saved from ESPN.COM 3 years ago.

Proper training can reduce ACL risks in female athletesEmail Print By Anna Gramling

ESPN.com

Archive

It's the three-letter acronym that is every athlete's nightmare.

Yet a torn ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is an injury that can't be ignored, especially by female athletes.

What is the anterior cruciate ligament?

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of four knee ligaments that connect the upper leg bone (femur) with the lower leg bone (tibia). The ACL stabilizes knee movement by:

??? Preventing the lower leg bone from sliding forward or turning inward when the leg is straight.

??? Preventing the knee from being stretched or straightened beyond its normal limits (hyperextended).

??? Supporting the knee ligaments that keep the knee from bending sideways.

According to The Houston Chronicle, one in every 10 female college athletes will suffer a torn ACL each year.

Recent statistics show the chances for a major knee injury are four to eight times higher for females than males.

Why such a large discrepancy between men and women? The answer to that question remains unresolved, but there are numerous theories. Some link the higher injury rate in females to environmental, anatomic, hormonal and biomechanical factors, while others claim that differences in training (coaching and strength techniques) lead to the devastating injury.

"I think that being in great shape physically can help in preventing an ACL tear, but I honestly believe that an ACL injury can happen to anyone at any time," Baylor softball player Kelly Osburn told ESPN.com. The outfielder tore the ACL in her right knee in 2005 before making a comeback last season.

"When my injury occurred, I feel like I was in very good shape, and that is why it came as a huge shock to me. Now that I have had some time off, I am just starting to feel pain free. I still do not feel like I have all of the strength back in my right leg."

MVP Sports Media Training

North Carolina State guard Billie McDowell spent the summer rehabbing from a torn ACL.Some NCAA schools emphasize proper training and exercise, including a strong strength and conditioning program, in hopes of reducing the risks for their athletes.

Sara Wiley, the strength and conditioning coach at Minnesota, says her players utilize a multidimensional approach to prevention.

"First, we teach athletes to decelerate with proper mechanics either from a jump or a sprint. This way, we reinforce proper mechanics of landing and deceleration, as well as strengthen around the joint. It also contributes to the development of explosiveness, quickness and agility. We also move in multiple planes [i.e. forward-backward, side-to-side, etc.] In addition, we include simple drills that teach the nervous system to fire rapidly, as well as promote stability around the knee joint."

Wiley also has her athletes participate in preventive exercises that she says set the stage for further development of performance (speed, power, quickness and agility).

"We do activities prior to strength training or conditioning that can be consider 'prehab' type exercises that fit nicely in the warm up -- single and double leg line hops, catching and throwing while the athlete is squatting, single leg hamstring work, etc., to activate the hamstrings prior to beginning training. These vary daily, but [they] reinforce the mechanics, balance, coordination and muscle activation we are training more aggressively in the actual workout."

In the case of the women's basketball team at Tennessee, it's about wearing the right shoes.

Jenny Moshak, the Vols' assistant athletics director for sports medicine who works primarily with Pat Summitt's team, said she talked with adidas about redesigning their shoes a few years ago.

Moshak requested several characteristics in a shoe:

1. A neutral last -- which is the bottom base of the shoe around which the rest of the shoe is constructed -- as opposed to a curved last. This was to start with a neutral base.

2. A high and deep heel counter, which is the portion of the shoe that stabilizes the heel of the foot once it hits the ground. A shoe will not be able to control how [or in what position] an athlete's heel hits the ground. However, once it does hit, the heel should not move, slide or rotate.

3. A stable forefoot -- not flimsy. The movement in a foot/shoe should occur at the midfoot and not the forefoot.

4. Proportions suitable for narrow feet. Just because a foot gets longer, it does not necessarily get incrementally wider.

"The relationship between the shoe construction and ACL prevention is that we do a lot with foot orthosis," Moshak said. "If our athletes' feet do not hit the ground in a neutral position, we will bring the ground up to their foot with orthotics and correct biomechanical issues. Therefore, we want stable, neutral, movement-correct, properly fitting shoes so that the orthotic works optimally."

The Lady Vols have been wearing shoes with these characteristics since 1999, according to Moshak. Although they do not keep statistics on whether or not the shoes prevent injuries, Moshak is convinced that they help in alleviating a number of injuries.

How do you avoid another ACL injury?

If you have already had an ACL injury, you can avoid another ACL injury by:

??? Strengthening the injured knee through rehabilitation exercises.

??? Changing your sports techniques to avoid motions that might stress the injured knee.

??? Changing your lifestyle to avoid sports that have a high risk of injuring your knee further, such as skiing, football, soccer or basketball.

??? Wearing a knee brace during high-risk activities. However, braces should be used only if rehabilitation is also being done. Wearing a brace alone may be of little benefit and may give you a false sense of security.

Another popular and rigorous program that helps reduce ACL injuries and enhance performance is Sportsmetrics, which was founded by renowned Cincinnati surgeon Dr. Frank Noyes.

The U.S. Naval Academy, Kentucky, North Carolina, Washington, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Kansas and Baylor are just a few of the Division I schools that have used Sportsmetrics, administrative director Tommy Campbell said.

The principle element of Sportsmetrics teaches female athletes the benefits of proper jumping and landing techniques.

Sportsmetrics is a six-week rehabilitation program that consists of three one-hour sessions per week. It incorporates stretches, jump/plyometric training, and strength and coordination exercises. The landing techniques emphasized by Sportsmetrics allow for more controlled knee joint actions while providing stability at the same time.

Participating in one or all of these methods isn't foolproof and an ACL injury can still occur. But the earlier a female athlete begins a preventive program, the better off she may be in the long run.

"I can tell you that in the last five years we have trained and/or tested over 1,000 female athletes," Campbell said. "Our program is geared for high school athletes and in our attempt to train as many athletes as possible, we feel comfortable that the athletes that decide to continue their sporting careers are trained in the areas of injury prevention. The goal is to train younger athletes in order to give them the chance to continue their career and not to be out of their sport due to a preventable injury."

Never heard of Sportsmetrics program before this post. Has anyone used their services? Sounds like a good proactive overall athletic program from their website and just looking for some honest input about Sportsmetrics.

Never heard of Sportsmetrics program before this post. Has anyone used their services? Sounds like a good proactive overall athletic program from their website and just looking for some honest input about Sportsmetrics.

part of this is from WEBMD a very good site that some physicians use at times. WebMD.com Ask your trainer about Sportsmetrics. look on the internet. The trainer who posted it might have some suggestions but just because something is on an internet site does not mean it does not need investigation and it does. Anything anybody posts on this site is everytime a first step to investigating and not something that should be tried without consultation with your Doctor, surgeon, PT therapist or Trainer. Sportsmetrics can be found on the internet and have locations in very state. Investigating those therapists or therapists in your area might be of help but likely there are others. No guarantee, noknowledge of, jusst a post about something that could help.

To shift the subject a little: I recently took a cont ed course on anterior knee pain (jumpers knee, patello-femoral maltracking syndrome, etc) Pain in the front of the knee is very common in female athletes, especially with jumping sports.

Course was 3 days, and one of the things emphasized was hip strength, especially in the abductors (muscles that swing your leg out to the side) and extensors (glutes - -- a muscular butt is a good thing, and referred to as your "big house").

One check or screening for hip strength, is to do a single leg dip while standing sideways on a step. Watch your knee. Does it stay over the center of your foot, or does it pull to the inside? If it pulls to the inside, you are at high risk for knee injury or a pain syndrome.

Strengthen those hips!!!!

I believe this discussion has centered around two areas - overtraining and acute injuries. In regards to overtraining, it is possible to push the body too hard and cause it to breakdown. Of course, training involves breaking down the body to stimluate it to grow bigger / faster / stronger. However, if training resumes before proper recovery, a downward spiral begins which can end in stress fractures, chronic tendonitis, or overall fatigue. The key to avoiding overtraining is evaluating your body regularly and recognizing that nagging problems can grow into serious issues.

As far as acute injuries - ACL, ankle sprains, shoulder dislocations and others - there is nothing that can absolutely avoid these in competition. Proper preperation can decrease these. Before play, the area needs to be safe - floor swept, obstacles removed. The athlete should not be overly fatigued as injuries increase when fatigued. The verdict is mixed on training programs such as Sportmetrics (or other pylometric programs) and the use of orthotics or knee braces. There is ongoing research into these interventions. While, they seem to have a positive effect in some populations, they are ineffective in others. As in all things, there is a cost involvled - not just $$$ - but time as well. For example, retraining your jumping style takes a great deal of time and effort. This decreases the time available for other training (weights, shooting, team play). One area of little cost and potential great benefit is ankle braces. These are recommended especially if quality taping is not available. Some concern arises that oversupport of the ankle can lead to increase stress on the knee.

Working together, the sports medicine team at your school should be able to provide insight to particular concerns in regards to prevention of injuries and what specific interventions can help individual sports. While no one can guarantee injury free sport participation, educating yourself on proper mechanics, proper rest and training can be your best asset in this fight.

I believe this discussion has centered around two areas - overtraining and acute injuries. In regards to overtraining, it is possible to push the body too hard and cause it to breakdown. Of course, training involves breaking down the body to stimluate it to grow bigger / faster / stronger. However, if training resumes before proper recovery, a downward spiral begins which can end in stress fractures, chronic tendonitis, or overall fatigue. The key to avoiding overtraining is evaluating your body regularly and recognizing that nagging problems can grow into serious issues.

As far as acute injuries - ACL, ankle sprains, shoulder dislocations and others - there is nothing that can absolutely avoid these in competition. Proper preperation can decrease these. Before play, the area needs to be safe - floor swept, obstacles removed. The athlete should not be overly fatigued as injuries increase when fatigued. The verdict is mixed on training programs such as Sportmetrics (or other pylometric programs) and the use of orthotics or knee braces. There is ongoing research into these interventions. While, they seem to have a positive effect in some populations, they are ineffective in others. As in all things, there is a cost involvled - not just $$$ - but time as well. For example, retraining your jumping style takes a great deal of time and effort. This decreases the time available for other training (weights, shooting, team play). One area of little cost and potential great benefit is ankle braces. These are recommended especially if quality taping is not available. Some concern arises that oversupport of the ankle can lead to increase stress on the knee.

Working together, the sports medicine team at your school should be able to provide insight to particular concerns in regards to prevention of injuries and what specific interventions can help individual sports. While no one can guarantee injury free sport participation, educating yourself on proper mechanics, proper rest and training can be your best asset in this fight.

I'm not sure the field you are in but your post is sure reasonable and like advise given by some experts in the past years. Do you know articles that can be read that would suggest a selection of ankle braces available now or do you suggest the sports medicine team at a school. Also, generally, are there any artlcles which would address ways to strengthen knees, ankles or in the case of consant use of the limbs of the body such as Tennis, Volleyball that would put some strain on the arm socket, elbow or lower back that would help young female athletes.

PHargis, in reply to your long post, the reason i started this was because i know alot of girls who are sitting on the bench right now with ACL's, Ankle sprains and back problems. Girls with d1 potential, who had their who season ahead of them before the point of their own injury. And i cant help but hink theres gotta be some way to prevent these? so thats why i started this.