The Prevention of Sports Injuries

lilc3

Here is a great article I saved from ESPN.COM 3 years ago.

Proper training can reduce ACL risks in female athletesEmail Print By Anna Gramling

ESPN.com

Archive

It's the three-letter acronym that is every athlete's nightmare.

Yet a torn ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is an injury that can't be ignored, especially by female athletes.

What is the anterior cruciate ligament?

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of four knee ligaments that connect the upper leg bone (femur) with the lower leg bone (tibia). The ACL stabilizes knee movement by:

??? Preventing the lower leg bone from sliding forward or turning inward when the leg is straight.

??? Preventing the knee from being stretched or straightened beyond its normal limits (hyperextended).

??? Supporting the knee ligaments that keep the knee from bending sideways.

Source: WebMD

According to The Houston Chronicle, one in every 10 female college athletes will suffer a torn ACL each year.

Recent statistics show the chances for a major knee injury are four to eight times higher for females than males.

Why such a large discrepancy between men and women? The answer to that question remains unresolved, but there are numerous theories. Some link the higher injury rate in females to environmental, anatomic, hormonal and biomechanical factors, while others claim that differences in training (coaching and strength techniques) lead to the devastating injury.

"I think that being in great shape physically can help in preventing an ACL tear, but I honestly believe that an ACL injury can happen to anyone at any time," Baylor softball player Kelly Osburn told ESPN.com. The outfielder tore the ACL in her right knee in 2005 before making a comeback last season.

"When my injury occurred, I feel like I was in very good shape, and that is why it came as a huge shock to me. Now that I have had some time off, I am just starting to feel pain free. I still do not feel like I have all of the strength back in my right leg."

MVP Sports Media Training

North Carolina State guard Billie McDowell spent the summer rehabbing from a torn ACL.Some NCAA schools emphasize proper training and exercise, including a strong strength and conditioning program, in hopes of reducing the risks for their athletes.

Sara Wiley, the strength and conditioning coach at Minnesota, says her players utilize a multidimensional approach to prevention.

"First, we teach athletes to decelerate with proper mechanics either from a jump or a sprint. This way, we reinforce proper mechanics of landing and deceleration, as well as strengthen around the joint. It also contributes to the development of explosiveness, quickness and agility. We also move in multiple planes [i.e. forward-backward, side-to-side, etc.] In addition, we include simple drills that teach the nervous system to fire rapidly, as well as promote stability around the knee joint."

Wiley also has her athletes participate in preventive exercises that she says set the stage for further development of performance (speed, power, quickness and agility).

"We do activities prior to strength training or conditioning that can be consider 'prehab' type exercises that fit nicely in the warm up -- single and double leg line hops, catching and throwing while the athlete is squatting, single leg hamstring work, etc., to activate the hamstrings prior to beginning training. These vary daily, but [they] reinforce the mechanics, balance, coordination and muscle activation we are training more aggressively in the actual workout."

In the case of the women's basketball team at Tennessee, it's about wearing the right shoes.

Jenny Moshak, the Vols' assistant athletics director for sports medicine who works primarily with Pat Summitt's team, said she talked with adidas about redesigning their shoes a few years ago.

Moshak requested several characteristics in a shoe:

1. A neutral last -- which is the bottom base of the shoe around which the rest of the shoe is constructed -- as opposed to a curved last. This was to start with a neutral base.

2. A high and deep heel counter, which is the portion of the shoe that stabilizes the heel of the foot once it hits the ground. A shoe will not be able to control how [or in what position] an athlete's heel hits the ground. However, once it does hit, the heel should not move, slide or rotate.

3. A stable forefoot -- not flimsy. The movement in a foot/shoe should occur at the midfoot and not the forefoot.

4. Proportions suitable for narrow feet. Just because a foot gets longer, it does not necessarily get incrementally wider.

"The relationship between the shoe construction and ACL prevention is that we do a lot with foot orthosis," Moshak said. "If our athletes' feet do not hit the ground in a neutral position, we will bring the ground up to their foot with orthotics and correct biomechanical issues. Therefore, we want stable, neutral, movement-correct, properly fitting shoes so that the orthotic works optimally."

The Lady Vols have been wearing shoes with these characteristics since 1999, according to Moshak. Although they do not keep statistics on whether or not the shoes prevent injuries, Moshak is convinced that they help in alleviating a number of injuries.

How do you avoid another ACL injury?

If you have already had an ACL injury, you can avoid another ACL injury by:

??? Strengthening the injured knee through rehabilitation exercises.

??? Changing your sports techniques to avoid motions that might stress the injured knee.

??? Changing your lifestyle to avoid sports that have a high risk of injuring your knee further, such as skiing, football, soccer or basketball.

??? Wearing a knee brace during high-risk activities. However, braces should be used only if rehabilitation is also being done. Wearing a brace alone may be of little benefit and may give you a false sense of security.

Source: WebMD

Another popular and rigorous program that helps reduce ACL injuries and enhance performance is Sportsmetrics, which was founded by renowned Cincinnati surgeon Dr. Frank Noyes.

The U.S. Naval Academy, Kentucky, North Carolina, Washington, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Kansas and Baylor are just a few of the Division I schools that have used Sportsmetrics, administrative director Tommy Campbell said.

The principle element of Sportsmetrics teaches female athletes the benefits of proper jumping and landing techniques.

Sportsmetrics is a six-week rehabilitation program that consists of three one-hour sessions per week. It incorporates stretches, jump/plyometric training, and strength and coordination exercises. The landing techniques emphasized by Sportsmetrics allow for more controlled knee joint actions while providing stability at the same time.

Participating in one or all of these methods isn't foolproof and an ACL injury can still occur. But the earlier a female athlete begins a preventive program, the better off she may be in the long run.

"I can tell you that in the last five years we have trained and/or tested over 1,000 female athletes," Campbell said. "Our program is geared for high school athletes and in our attempt to train as many athletes as possible, we feel comfortable that the athletes that decide to continue their sporting careers are trained in the areas of injury prevention. The goal is to train younger athletes in order to give them the chance to continue their career and not to be out of their sport due to a preventable injury."

thank you so much knighttime. im "copy and pasting" this one to my email.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To shift the subject a little: I recently took a cont ed course on anterior knee pain (jumpers knee, patello-femoral maltracking syndrome, etc) Pain in the front of the knee is very common in female athletes, especially with jumping sports.

Course was 3 days, and one of the things emphasized was hip strength, especially in the abductors (muscles that swing your leg out to the side) and extensors (glutes - -- a muscular butt is a good thing, and referred to as your "big house").

One check or screening for hip strength, is to do a single leg dip while standing sideways on a step. Watch your knee. Does it stay over the center of your foot, or does it pull to the inside? If it pulls to the inside, you are at high risk for knee injury or a pain syndrome.

Strengthen those hips!!!!

this is something i've struggled with for a year or two now.... when i land from juming my knees turn in. my athletic trainer this summer noticed and we tried to break the habit, but i guess that might have aided to the ACL tear shortly after. You info makes sense.

Strength and conditioning has gotten out of hand at most levels, including pro sports. Statistical studies show a shift in the types of injuries athletes are suffering. The once so-called freak injuries are common place. ACL used to be rare 25 years ago when everybody was popping medials or laterals in the knee. Once shoulders were separated. Now, NFL linemen and junior high basketball players are tearing soft tissue at an alarming rate.

STOP OVERDEVELOPING THE BODY TO A POINT BEYOND THE CAPACITY OF THE SOFT TISSUE TO HANDLE THE FORCES THEY ARE SUBJECTED TO. The good Lord knew how to design a human body. We're overloading his design. It's that simple. We need to build more endurance not muscle mass.

To shift the subject a little: I recently took a cont ed course on anterior knee pain (jumpers knee, patello-femoral maltracking syndrome, etc) Pain in the front of the knee is very common in female athletes, especially with jumping sports.

Course was 3 days, and one of the things emphasized was hip strength, especially in the abductors (muscles that swing your leg out to the side) and extensors (glutes - -- a muscular butt is a good thing, and referred to as your "big house").

One check or screening for hip strength, is to do a single leg dip while standing sideways on a step. Watch your knee. Does it stay over the center of your foot, or does it pull to the inside? If it pulls to the inside, you are at high risk for knee injury or a pain syndrome.

Strengthen those hips!!!!

Interesting you say that, many warmups i see schools doing have quite a few exercises swinging legs out to the side and started heavily at the first of last year.

Strength and conditioning has gotten out of hand at most levels, including pro sports. Statistical studies show a shift in the types of injuries athletes are suffering. The once so-called freak injuries are common place. ACL used to be rare 25 years ago when everybody was popping medials or laterals in the knee. Once shoulders were separated. Now, NFL linemen and junior high basketball players are tearing soft tissue at an alarming rate.

STOP OVERDEVELOPING THE BODY TO A POINT BEYOND THE CAPACITY OF THE SOFT TISSUE TO HANDLE THE FORCES THEY ARE SUBJECTED TO. The good Lord knew how to design a human body. We're overloading his design. It's that simple. We need to build more endurance not muscle mass.

Good point Wave80. are you just spreaking of the young athletes who over trainer their bodies in the developmental phases of the body, or everyone? And also, do you think that weight training at an early age such as 10 11 and 12 stunts growth?

Good point Wave80. are you just spreaking of the young athletes who over trainer their bodies in the developmental phases of the body, or everyone? And also, do you think that weight training at an early age such as 10 11 and 12 stunts growth?

3, ask your trainer, PT and Dr and come backand give us their reaction to your question. SometimesI have heard that tht age is too early but no one with credentials. Always best to ask someone tih credentials.

East Tennessee State University in Johnson City is addressing this problem with a new program. It was developed in conjunction with the US Olympic Committee, and is targeted at teaching the coaches and others that teach our children. I cannot recall the exact name of the program, which is bad since my daughter will be a part of it, but it was announced in October of last year.

Part of the problem is that many coaches, phys ed teachers, and others are taught to have the kids "work out" in order to become better athletes. Unfortunately, many are not physical therapists, physiologists, or other trained professionals. This program is aimed at teaching them age and gender appropriate exercise techniques, and how they can become better coaches. It will also look at sports performance in athletes. It is the first program of its type in the United States, and I really feel like it will be a huge asset to the East Tennessee sports community at all levels.

The Johnson City Press had an article on it if you feel like searching, or you can go the the ETSU website I'm sure.

The Highlander

East Tennessee State University in Johnson City is addressing this problem with a new program. It was developed in conjunction with the US Olympic Committee, and is targeted at teaching the coaches and others that teach our children. I cannot recall the exact name of the program, which is bad since my daughter will be a part of it, but it was announced in October of last year.

Part of the problem is that many coaches, phys ed teachers, and others are taught to have the kids "work out" in order to become better athletes. Unfortunately, many are not physical therapists, physiologists, or other trained professionals. This program is aimed at teaching them age and gender appropriate exercise techniques, and how they can become better coaches. It will also look at sports performance in athletes. It is the first program of its type in the United States, and I really feel like it will be a huge asset to the East Tennessee sports community at all levels.

The Johnson City Press had an article on it if you feel like searching, or you can go the the ETSU website I'm sure.

The Highlander

High, by your post, I have emailed ETSU Sports information and have told them of this site and given them the Name of its Originator LILC3 and asked them to have someone get on here and post and answer questions any might have on prevention. This sounds like something that would be valuable. No one has answered my email but if anyone on this site sees an ETSU name associated or if you Lilc3 see it, try to start a dialogue concerning those questions you might have and likely others will start asking also and all can give their appreciation to the Highlander, if this works, for the help. I believe someone will start posting a reply.

High, by your post, I have emailed ETSU Sports information and have told them of this site and given them the Name of its Originator LILC3 and asked them to have someone get on here and post and answer questions any might have on prevention. This sounds like something that would be valuable. No one has answered my email but if anyone on this site sees an ETSU name associated or if you Lilc3 see it, try to start a dialogue concerning those questions you might have and likely others will start asking also and all can give their appreciation to the Highlander, if this works, for the help. I believe someone will start posting a reply.

This was a great idea PHargis. greatlty appriciated. Mabe they'll see it and post some answers.

Just for the info, i am not 11 or anything... but i did lift heavily at that age, many people believe that made me shorter. sorry that's besides the matter though.

I'll keep on the lookout for the ETSU people.

I'm talking about weight training for athletes in general, mostly high school up. I'm not a big fan of weight training for young athletes. I find it better to develop other skills such as bunting, defense, throwing technique, how to catch -- the basics of the various sports. Then when puberty has done its wonders, weight training done CORRECTLY is OK. And difference sports have difference weight training routines (football vastly different from basketball and baseballf or instance) and that can get a HS athlete in trouble.

There are others who are going thru rehab now that should take advantage of this site. It appears there are some practices in ones life that could inadvertantly cause an injury without one realizing it. Maybe someof these things can be asked about as qualified PT's or Trainers, etc, post on this site. Just so you would know what to expect, no one will get on this site and try to give information about a specific instance anyone one here is having trouble with. That's between the player and her attendants but the Peeps posting might go as far as they feel comfortable with the general information. Prevention techniques may keep someone from being on this thread.

All,

Here is a link (I hope) to today's edition of the Johnson City Press. The article gives a little more information on the program I mentioned in my post above. I am excited that the program exists, and even better, it is in East Tennessee.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php...TS&ID=67133

I met the Director of the program this morning and had a brief conversation with her, primarily centered around my daughter's entrance into the program. I didn't have time to mention this website and thread, but we will be meeting with her again in the near future, and if the opportunity presents itself, I will give her directions to the CoachT website.

Regards,

The Highlander