Middle School Thread

comets16

If it is ok with moderators I would like to start a Middle School thread...Anyone?

Top programs or feeder programs, top upcoming athletes, etc?

I know good bit about the Middle schools of Richland program (DD School) and Cornersville program..

Anyone else on here attending the CA Middle tournament on March 6th & 7th???

Thanks

MrNoitAll and I would certainly appreciate a little Middle School love... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

CASCADE11 - Would love to hear about your team.. Pitching, Hitting, Defense number of travel ball players that make up your team, etc

Richland

I will go first - Pitching - Quiet possibly best 12U pitcher (7th Grader) in the state. (Plays for Huntsville Comets, now Frost Comets '96 that has been to ASA Nationals past two years. The other best pitcher in the state also plays for our travel team but goes to school in Dekalb). We also have another 7th grader pitcher..

Catching- (My DD so a little bias, one of the best if not the best 12U catcher (7th Grader) in the state. Controls the game with very good arm. Also plays for Huntsville Comets, now Frost Comets '96 that has been to ASA Nationals past two years.

Defense I haven't got to see much of practice on the dirt but have coached several of the girls previous years in Pulaski Rec Ball.. Should be ok, with a decent outfield.. Pretty strong at SS, 2nd, CF and 1st

Offense- Top 5 or 6 or so should be able to hit

Mental - Where I am worried. A lot of these girls have never played but rec ball, and my passion for softball and the passion from rec ball is usually a little different. lol I am Worried about, leads, base running, game knowledge, bunting, etc

Speed - Ok, a few fast runners but not a lot of blazing speed or team speed

CASCADE11 - Would love to hear about your team.. Pitching, Hitting, Defense number of travel ball players that make up your team, etc

Richland

I will go first - Pitching - Quiet possibly best 12U pitcher (7th Grader) in the state. (Plays for Huntsville Comets, now Frost Comets '96 that has been to ASA Nationals past two years. The other best pitcher in the state also plays for our travel team but goes to school in Dekalb). We also have another 7th grader pitcher..

Catching- (My DD so a little bias, one of the best if not the best 12U catcher (7th Grader) in the state. Controls the game with very good arm. Also plays for Huntsville Comets, now Frost Comets '96 that has been to ASA Nationals past two years.

Defense I haven't got to see much of practice on the dirt but have coached several of the girls previous years in Pulaski Rec Ball.. Should be ok, with a decent outfield.. Pretty strong at SS, 2nd, CF and 1st

Offense- Top 5 or 6 or so should be able to hit

Mental - Where I am worried. A lot of these girls have never played but rec ball, and my passion for softball and the passion from rec ball is usually a little different. lol I am Worried about, leads, base running, game knowledge, bunting, etc

Speed - Ok, a few fast runners but not a lot of blazing speed or team speed

Well, sounds like you guys are probably out of our league. We had no pitching last year, but were pretty solid on defense and behind the plate. Good hitting team overall. This year, we should be better in the circle I hope. We have a girl coming up who is suppose to be pretty solid. (Sister pitches for high school team). Cascade has been fortunate if they have one solid pitcher in years past and that will take awhile to change. Slowpitch has dominated Bedford County for years, and only recently has some of the girls in our area taken fastpitch seriously enough to put some time in with a pitching coach. My understanding from Coach Edmondson (the Head Coach) is we have 27 girls going out for this middle school team and only 7 or 8 are 8th graders, so we'll be very young I'd assume. We begin practice (try-outs) tommorrow so I'll have a better idea in a couple of days as to where we are from a talent standpoint.

E O Coffman (Lawrence Co) should be pretty good this season. They have a pretty solid pitching rotation with, I believe, 5 travel ball players. They should be able to hit pretty well in the top 5 or 6,but not sure about the rest. Defense will need some shoring up from what i have seen. They lost a great leadoff hitter with blazing speed from last year and 1 other good bat, but thats all. They were pretty solid last year only losing to Summertown,who was stacked with a lot of 8th grd talent. They will definitely need some help from the 7th graders this year. They only had 14 or 15 tryout. WOW!!! But they still should be the strongest team in Lawrence Co.

As far as travel vs league or school ball, I believe not only are your travel ball players getting a lot more reps, but the coaching is a lot more experienced and organized than school or league. The practices at most travel teams, like the Comets, Worth,etc., are a lot more intense,organized,planned and detail oriented in instruction and teaching the game than most, not all, school and league practices.