10-A playoffs

SCRAPMAN

Only other region victory I can think of for HC was in 01-02... the beat the 4 seed ABC school and then lost to DCA with posts standing 7'0'' and 6'8''...

I remember that one well,they almost pulled it out against Boomer Herndon and DCA,they beat Goodpasture in the first round.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,you really come off as a really arrogant jerk with that post,I don't think it matters how long someone has been at a job,if you can't do it as well as you once were then you should step aside.An adequate job is not fair to the kids that are there now,they don't deserve to be short changed.It's my opinion that LC had a really good year 5 or 6 years into his career and took the school to their first state touney and had a great run of athletes for 10 years after-and has been living the fraud of being a good coach since.Actually I can only think of one region victory since the 92 team.Is that even adequate?I am just being OBJECTIVE-just roll the ball out and hope we win.

A jerk? Just because I do not believe that a coach that has been coaching for over 30 years and has 2 state tourney, in a small town that quiete frankly doesnt have the best atheletes in the world.... Also your comment about the no region wins, for years they had the ABC schools that have had some real talent come through as region opponents, many times it was simply and out class of ath. that they have faced in region games. Think about this for a moment... Basketball for the past ten years atleast have consisted of 3 As while football has had 5 As...In football HC has never to my knowledge had a top 8 team in the state...And in football there are alot less teams to go through to reach that point... In basketball over the past 30 years he has reached that summit twice... Also lets look at the only other male sport at the school...Baseball...HC has a traditionally good baseball program....Where is there highest placement in the last 30 years? I think back in 99?? They made the top 16 game(correct me if I am wrong?) ...So again I say that he has done something right with some of his teams...Answer me this, when was Coach Baggetts last losing season? Single A that is not an easy accomplishment since all your non region games usually consist of larger schools....

Need more evidence...Sure....When is the last region win for a girls team at HC? Or a state championship birth? Or a deep run in Softball or Basketball? The 03-04 girls basketball ball team won the district chapmionship only to get beat in the 1st round of the regions, granted it was to one of the ABC school and though they finished fourth in the tourney they didnt have there best player back until the game against the irish...As well as that region probably had 4 of the top 8 teams in single A that year....But still?

Also, since the 92 team how many players have went on ro paly college ball

On to firing... Sometimes you do not always get what you wish for when you get a new coach....Single A in many aspects is a starting point for many coaches..So if they are good they may move on to bigger and badder things...If they are bad, they may be stuck there if they gain there tenure... Also he is the AD...So that would be a tough sell to the AD to fire the mens bb coach, dont you think? Also you have a relatively new administration throughout all of HC... Harvey has just been in office for a few years(an elected office at that) and the principal is in her first year...May be a tough sell to some supporters of LC dont you think? Also more about the school....LC is a tenure teacher, so lets say they do fire him from the coaching position? Then what if decides to stay and teach(which he would never do...but what if?)Then you have have to go find a teacher that doesnt teach PE because LC will still hold that position.... In a small school its hard to create positions, and education comes first you know...These are Student-ath. you know, and the student should come first.....But you should know that, you have a degree, how could I forget../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Are the better coaches out there? Sure...I would go to say that there are some better ones inside the county that no longer coach...Are you one? I highly doubt it...If so why arent you still coaching..(you did say you were a coach correct?) I think you are quite frankly maybe jockey for your own position? Which if that is the case is terribly terribly wrong....

Please think about some of the statement you say before actually writing them please...Firing someone of this stature after winning a District Title would be a nightmare for a new administration.....Also who do u suggest they go after that would want the job?

A jerk? Just because I do not believe that a coach that has been coaching for over 30 years and has 2 state tourney, in a small town that quiete frankly doesnt have the best atheletes in the world.... Also your comment about the no region wins, for years they had the ABC schools that have had some real talent come through as region opponents, many times it was simply and out class of ath. that they have faced in region games. Think about this for a moment... Basketball for the past ten years atleast have consisted of 3 As while football has had 5 As...In football HC has never to my knowledge had a top 8 team in the state...And in football there are alot less teams to go through to reach that point... In basketball over the past 30 years he has reached that summit twice... Also lets look at the only other male sport at the school...Baseball...HC has a traditionally good baseball program....Where is there highest placement in the last 30 years? I think back in 99?? They made the top 16 game(correct me if I am wrong?) ...So again I say that he has done something right with some of his teams...Answer me this, when was Coach Baggetts last losing season? Single A that is not an easy accomplishment since all your non region games usually consist of larger schools....

Need more evidence...Sure....When is the last region win for a girls team at HC? Or a state championship birth? Or a deep run in Softball or Basketball? The 03-04 girls basketball ball team won the district chapmionship only to get beat in the 1st round of the regions, granted it was to one of the ABC school and though they finished fourth in the tourney they didnt have there best player back until the game against the irish...As well as that region probably had 4 of the top 8 teams in single A that year....But still?

Also, since the 92 team how many players have went on ro paly college ball

On to firing... Sometimes you do not always get what you wish for when you get a new coach....Single A in many aspects is a starting point for many coaches..So if they are good they may move on to bigger and badder things...If they are bad, they may be stuck there if they gain there tenure... Also he is the AD...So that would be a tough sell to the AD to fire the mens bb coach, dont you think? Also you have a relatively new administration throughout all of HC... Harvey has just been in office for a few years(an elected office at that) and the principal is in her first year...May be a tough sell to some supporters of LC dont you think? Also more about the school....LC is a tenure teacher, so lets say they do fire him from the coaching position? Then what if decides to stay and teach(which he would never do...but what if?)Then you have have to go find a teacher that doesnt teach PE because LC will still hold that position.... In a small school its hard to create positions, and education comes first you know...These are Student-ath. you know, and the student should come first.....But you should know that, you have a degree, how could I forget../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Are the better coaches out there? Sure...I would go to say that there are some better ones inside the county that no longer coach...Are you one? I highly doubt it...If so why arent you still coaching..(you did say you were a coach correct?) I think you are quite frankly maybe jockey for your own position? Which if that is the case is terribly terribly wrong....

Please think about some of the statement you say before actually writing them please...Firing someone of this stature after winning a District Title would be a nightmare for a new administration.....Also who do u suggest they go after that would want the job?

I NEVER HAVE SAID THAT I WANT HIM TO BE FIRED!I called you an arrogant jerk because you made it a point to tell me about your masters!His last losing season was last year-they went 7-17-and they went 5-19 in 05-06.Football is all about creating tradition,the athletes have been there, they just don't play football-a perfect example is Larry Brown and I could name 20 others that played basketball and not football,and a side note a big reason they don't play is LC discourages it.Houston County didn't even have a baseball program until 1989.Orville Mccullough has done an incredible job,and he is the perfect example of the type of coach the basketball program needs.You ask how many players have went on to play college ball since 92,I can only think of one and that was Andy Ross.I think many were good enough to at least play Junior college ball--Jason Horn,Coby Clark,Brando Averitt,CJ Cooksey,Jon Beechum,Brian Skelton,Chris Norfleet,Jonathan Bell and Ethan Dillard,now for a class A school that is alot of talent-and that talent pales in comparison to the good years of 92 and prior.Don't you also think it's part of a coaches job to help get kids get placed or at least get a look in front of college coaches. He has never done well in this department.He has a 108-105 record this decade,a good district tourney record of 13-6 and a poor region record of 1-5.He is also 0-2 in the state tourney to the same team that had much less talent both times,lack of preparation for either game.Two of those losses were to CPA in region which had a well coached team that had a couple of good football players on the team.East Robertson doesn't have any better athletes than HC but their program is traditionally much better than ours,Mcewen definitely has less athletes than HC but coach Ross always gets the most out of them.I do not want him to be fired but I do want him to realize that he is half of what he used to be,and half of is not fair to the kids,the fans,or the community.

I NEVER HAVE SAID THAT I WANT HIM TO BE FIRED!I called you an arrogant jerk because you made it a point to tell me about your masters!His last losing season was last year-they went 7-17-and they went 5-19 in 05-06.Football is all about creating tradition,the athletes have been there, they just don't play football-a perfect example is Larry Brown and I could name 20 others that played basketball and not football,and a side note a big reason they don't play is LC discourages it.Houston County didn't even have a baseball program until 1989.Orville Mccullough has done an incredible job,and he is the perfect example of the type of coach the basketball program needs.You ask how many players have went on to play college ball since 92,I can only think of one and that was Andy Ross.I think many were good enough to at least play Junior college ball--Jason Horn,Coby Clark,Brando Averitt,CJ Cooksey,Jon Beechum,Brian Skelton,Chris Norfleet,Jonathan Bell and Ethan Dillard,now for a class A school that is alot of talent-and that talent pales in comparison to the good years of 92 and prior.Don't you also think it's part of a coaches job to help get kids get placed or at least get a look in front of college coaches. He has never done well in this department.He has a 108-105 record this decade,a good district tourney record of 13-6 and a poor region record of 1-5.He is also 0-2 in the state tourney to the same team that had much less talent both times,lack of preparation for either game.Two of those losses were to CPA in region which had a well coached team that had a couple of good football players on the team.East Robertson doesn't have any better athletes than HC but their program is traditionally much better than ours,Mcewen definitely has less athletes than HC but coach Ross always gets the most out of them.I do not want him to be fired but I do want him to realize that he is half of what he used to be,and half of is not fair to the kids,the fans,or the community.

First off, I will say that I misunderstood your intentions...I thought that you were suggesting that they fire him, or pressure him to leave. I believe that he should leave when HE wants to leave...And especially not when some person talks about him on CoachT...A former player at that? Andy is the only person that I can think of that has even attended college with the intent to paly college ball...Again chris norfleet.......I think it has already been said that they told him he was too short.....Johnathan bell was told by treveca that he could walk on and redshirt, but he decided not to give that a go....Skelton could of played, if he could of got in....Beechum didnt graduate I dont believe... Horn maybe.....Clark possibly...Brando averitt , thats not suppose to be brad averitt is it? Dillard will paly small college ball.... I agree that Mcewen has not had better talent, but they do have a D1 player in the last 5 years... I meant his last losing seasons besides the prior two....I just forgot to write it...

On to the jerk comment, which was totally uncalled for....I was just making you realize how useless your posting about having a degree was...What exactly does that have to do with anything?

Like I said in my previous post, I do not believe that LC is the best coach in the region, and Phil is one that i find that is better(although i believe that phil better with less talent....LC may be more productive with better talent)

On to football, LC no longer suggests or tries to talk players into not playing football, he does not stop players from lifting weights during the season during there own time.... Yes plenty of players have only played basketball, but in the same boat there are talented football palyers that could of contributed on the basketball court, that havent played either. Take Casey Roby and Trey Mitchell for example...

My only point in even getting into this discussion is LC is a friend of mine, I have no true bearing in Houston county, although I know many people there, along with other local surrounding high schools...Like you I live outside of Nashville and have some connections that date way back to these communities... As an outsider looking in i thinks its quite cowardly that a former player of his gets on here and bashes him personally saying that he needs to step down... I have bashed plenty of coaches on here for not doing the right thing....Running up scores, places hard fouls, and encouraging dirty play.... But in all of 30 years I think it would be a hard stretch for anyone to accuse LC of these things...

I will agree on one thing though Orville is a great guy and does a great job with the baseball program.

Also I asked you before who do you suppose they should go after if LC does call it quits? Like i said its easy to say get a new person, but who?

I have some ideas on people that would be really good canaidates that i think would be interested.....but who knows?

First off, I will say that I misunderstood your intentions...I thought that you were suggesting that they fire him, or pressure him to leave. I believe that he should leave when HE wants to leave...And especially not when some person talks about him on CoachT...A former player at that? Andy is the only person that I can think of that has even attended college with the intent to paly college ball...Again chris norfleet.......I think it has already been said that they told him he was too short.....Johnathan bell was told by treveca that he could walk on and redshirt, but he decided not to give that a go....Skelton could of played, if he could of got in....Beechum didnt graduate I dont believe... Horn maybe.....Clark possibly...Brando averitt , thats not suppose to be brad averitt is it? Dillard will paly small college ball.... I agree that Mcewen has not had better talent, but they do have a D1 player in the last 5 years... I meant his last losing seasons besides the prior two....I just forgot to write it...

On to the jerk comment, which was totally uncalled for....I was just making you realize how useless your posting about having a degree was...What exactly does that have to do with anything?

Like I said in my previous post, I do not believe that LC is the best coach in the region, and Phil is one that i find that is better(although i believe that phil better with less talent....LC may be more productive with better talent)

On to football, LC no longer suggests or tries to talk players into not playing football, he does not stop players from lifting weights during the season during there own time.... Yes plenty of players have only played basketball, but in the same boat there are talented football palyers that could of contributed on the basketball court, that havent played either. Take Casey Roby and Trey Mitchell for example...

My only point in even getting into this discussion is LC is a friend of mine, I have no true bearing in Houston county, although I know many people there, along with other local surrounding high schools...Like you I live outside of Nashville and have some connections that date way back to these communities... As an outsider looking in i thinks its quite cowardly that a former player of his gets on here and bashes him personally saying that he needs to step down... I have bashed plenty of coaches on here for not doing the right thing....Running up scores, places hard fouls, and encouraging dirty play.... But in all of 30 years I think it would be a hard stretch for anyone to accuse LC of these things...

I will agree on one thing though Orville is a great guy and does a great job with the baseball program.

Also I asked you before who do you suppose they should go after if LC does call it quits? Like i said its easy to say get a new person, but who?

I have some ideas on people that would be really good canaidates that i think would be interested.....but who knows?

It was you that told me to get my degree and apply for the job,I was just pointing out that I already have one,and you made it a point to trump me with your masters degree.Brandon Averitt was a 6'6 player that could really score but was pretty bad on defense,he played in the late 90's.I am not LC friend or foe,he was my coach and I have no personal axe to grind.I am an OBJECTIVE OBSERVER that loves my former community.I guess our fundamental disagreemant is that I think if he cannot commit fully to the job and perform at an adequate level according to talent that he should hang it up.You on the other hand think that he has earned him a lifetime achievement award that allows him to coach as long as he wishes no matter his performance.I think this is an incredible disservice to the players that he currently has,they deserve someone to give it everything they have,and it's sad to say he can't do that anymore.I don't know who would be interested or who would come.I do know that the girls coach has been around basketball his entire life and played college ball,but I know he lacks experience.Stewart County made a great hire last year,maybe they could get Tom Mullinicks to come over from Creekwood.I know if Scott Moore would have stuck around and that other stuff hadn't happened,it would have been his job.Did you play at HC?I apologize for calling you a jerk.

It was you that told me to get my degree and apply for the job,I was just pointing out that I already have one,and you made it a point to trump me with your masters degree.Brandon Averitt was a 6'6 player that could really score but was pretty bad on defense,he played in the late 90's.I am not LC friend or foe,he was my coach and I have no personal axe to grind.I am an OBJECTIVE OBSERVER that loves my former community.I guess our fundamental disagreemant is that I think if he cannot commit fully to the job and perform at an adequate level according to talent that he should hang it up.You on the other hand think that he has earned him a lifetime achievement award that allows him to coach as long as he wishes no matter his performance.I think this is an incredible disservice to the players that he currently has,they deserve someone to give it everything they have,and it's sad to say he can't do that anymore.I don't know who would be interested or who would come.I do know that the girls coach has been around basketball his entire life and played college ball,but I know he lacks experience.Stewart County made a great hire last year,maybe they could get Tom Mullinicks to come over from Creekwood.I know if Scott Moore would have stuck around and that other stuff hadn't happened,it would have been his job.Did you play at HC?I apologize for calling you a jerk.

I was the one who said to hurry and get your teaching degree and apply for the job, I was not the one that said to get a degree....that was someone else.... You continue to name the players that "could of played college ball" when in all actuality, they could of maybe got a suit at a juco thats it....Which quiete frankly is not that great of a feat...In all honesty, Skelton and Beechum were the only two players who had the talent to get all of college paid for. Ross and Bell worked hard enough to get to that point, but didn't have the pure talent(and both of them never got offered a full ride...i do not believe...ross maybe with his grades as well).... The rest of the names mentioned, would of struggled getting enough school paid for to be cheaper than paying full price for tution at say Austin Peay. So for a 1a team since the 92 team, they have been above average in talent...yes....But the only really talented team to speak of was Beechum skelton ross....and the following year bell skelton ross(ross and bell were such the same player, which made that team not nearly as good) Also another name to add to the list, if we are stretching for names you would have to consider Gordon and woodcock, if you are going to consider people like clark, norefleet, and brandon averitt...gordon was a solid three year contributor, that lead all three years in rebounds per game(soph. season cut in half...) Woodcock played the number 2 scorer to bell, and was decent in other areas of the game...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about hiring a new coach..Like I said before, you dont always get what you wish for....

Just a honest question really fast....Do you think penn st. should rid themselves of Joe?

The guy from creekwood, I can see both there womens and mens coaches....Is he the womens that coached dickson junior high for a few years?

I think you are wrong about Scoot Moore, I don;t think he could of got the job before the rest of the mess happened either. He and Ms. Harvey werent on the greatest terms before then.

Another person that they would possibly like to get would be peter froden(sp?)..(which i am not sold on is not you), But I doubt he would want to come back....

Sam young would be a possible canidate...

I think if the job would of come up 8 years ago, Phil Ross would of considered it, not sure if he would now..

Johnny Jackson would of been a nice grab, which after the season they had he may want to be grabbed.

Another person that I find that could be very interested and would be interesting is Les trotter ,(son of former Waverly coach gene trotter) ...I know from some of my waverly sources he was very interested in the waverly job a few years back.. May want to move close to home, and has some connection with the program..

Any other Ideas?

No I did not attend HC, and i accept your apology!

I was the one who said to hurry and get your teaching degree and apply for the job, I was not the one that said to get a degree....that was someone else.... You continue to name the players that "could of played college ball" when in all actuality, they could of maybe got a suit at a juco thats it....Which quiete frankly is not that great of a feat...In all honesty, Skelton and Beechum were the only two players who had the talent to get all of college paid for. Ross and Bell worked hard enough to get to that point, but didn't have the pure talent(and both of them never got offered a full ride...i do not believe...ross maybe with his grades as well).... The rest of the names mentioned, would of struggled getting enough school paid for to be cheaper than paying full price for tution at say Austin Peay. So for a 1a team since the 92 team, they have been above average in talent...yes....But the only really talented team to speak of was Beechum skelton ross....and the following year bell skelton ross(ross and bell were such the same player, which made that team not nearly as good) Also another name to add to the list, if we are stretching for names you would have to consider Gordon and woodcock, if you are going to consider people like clark, norefleet, and brandon averitt...gordon was a solid three year contributor, that lead all three years in rebounds per game(soph. season cut in half...) Woodcock played the number 2 scorer to bell, and was decent in other areas of the game...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about hiring a new coach..Like I said before, you dont always get what you wish for....

Just a honest question really fast....Do you think penn st. should rid themselves of Joe?

The guy from creekwood, I can see both there womens and mens coaches....Is he the womens that coached dickson junior high for a few years?

I think you are wrong about Scoot Moore, I don;t think he could of got the job before the rest of the mess happened either. He and Ms. Harvey werent on the greatest terms before then.

Another person that they would possibly like to get would be peter froden(sp?)..(which i am not sold on is not you), But I doubt he would want to come back....

Sam young would be a possible canidate...

I think if the job would of come up 8 years ago, Phil Ross would of considered it, not sure if he would now..

Johnny Jackson would of been a nice grab, which after the season they had he may want to be grabbed.

Another person that I find that could be very interested and would be interesting is Les trotter ,(son of former Waverly coach gene trotter) ...I know from some of my waverly sources he was very interested in the waverly job a few years back.. May want to move close to home, and has some connection with the program..

Any other Ideas?

No I did not attend HC, and i accept your apology!

Gordon and Woodcock would be a huge reach,I was just naming guys that could be on a roster.Mullineks is the girls coach at Creekwood and he is from Mcewen,great coach but I don't know what his interest would be.There is no way Pete Froedden would come back ,he is an assistant at a D1 school and played in college with the athletic director Phillip Hutcheson,so you never know what could happen there.Jonny Jackson would be good and I don't know Trotter.And yes I do do think Penn St should get rid of Joe.

Gordon and Woodcock would be a huge reach,I was just naming guys that could be on a roster.Mullineks is the girls coach at Creekwood and he is from Mcewen,great coach but I don't know what his interest would be.There is no way Pete Froedden would come back ,he is an assistant at a D1 school and played in college with the athletic director Phillip Hutcheson,so you never know what could happen there.Jonny Jackson would be good and I don't know Trotter.And yes I do do think Penn St should get rid of Joe.

I place them above Norfleet...Gordon was a solid player for 3 years, and as a 10th grader saw as much or more PT than bell...A much different type of player, but a great rebounder/defender/tough guy...Again another player that career points are probably as good or better than norfleet, while being a much more valuable defender and rebounder....I am not trying to hate on the kid, I am jsut saying that you have him way over=rated...Only got PT two years, was arguably not even the best player on two bad teams(as u have already mentioned),,,He is just a hard sell for me to say a top 25 player ever at HCHS...Also I know there are some older people i can talk to in erin to get some older names(pre 82), it would eliminate this stretching...

Trotter currently coaches at Summertown(I believe) last I heard, who earned a trip to host a substate game tonight....He had some success while he was there anyhow,,,Also if its the guy that I am thinking of from creekwood, I hope he stays away from Houston County

From what I have heard, LC isn't going anywhere for at least another year, maybe 2. This is heresay, so I could be wrong.

A big congrats to CA for their win tonight. Good job boys. nice to see a 10A team do well.

I have strong evidence that he is really for the first time actually considering retirement. He would like to coach and not teach, but the administration will not allow that, but I think this may be his year to go...

I have strong evidence that he is really for the first time actually considering retirement. He would like to coach and not teach, but the administration will not allow that, but I think this may be his year to go...

This is very simiarlar to what was conveyed to me,if we could get Summertown coach that would be great-if LC retires.IT would be a mixed bag of emotion if he did,I do have respect for the man and I know it must be an incredibly tough decision for him.