"GREENBACK PINS DOWN ANOTHER REGION WRESTLING TITLE"

THEANIMAL

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/feb/15/g...gion-wrestling/

Greenback pins down another region wrestling title

By John Shearer

Sunday, February 15, 2009

To say that Karns High School wrestler Nick Maxwell takes his sport home with him is certainly not stretching the truth.

"We've got a wrestling room at home," the sophomore said. "I've been running on the treadmill every night and it has kept me in top physical form. It has been tough, but it has been worth it."

Saturday night in the Region 2 finals of the 103-pound class at Gibbs, Maxwell looked very much at home with a 20-3 technical fall over Logan Young of Gibbs.

With a fifth-place finish last year in the state tournament in the same weight class, Maxwell said he is hoping for an even higher finish at this year's state tournament beginning Wednesday in Chattanooga.

Greenback, which won the team region title for the third consecutive year with 174.5 points, also is hoping to do well at the state tournament.

"I am proud of the kids," said Greenback coach Justin Ridge, who was voted best coach. "If we can get three or four in the medal rounds, we can get a top-five (finish)."

Following the Cherokees were Halls (148), Maryville, (147.5), Seymour (145), Gibbs (122.5), William Blount, (101.5), Farragut (100.5), Karns (92.5), Pigeon Forge (77), and Heritage. (76.5).

Also winning easily was sophomore Jeremy Miller at 135. Although he is wrestling more than 30 pounds heavier than when he won the state two years ago at 103, the competition has not necessarily been tougher for him.

He pinned Tyler Adams of Kingston in the last three seconds of the third round at 135 pounds to move to 43-4 on the year.

However, Miller, who also kicks and plays safety on the Greenback football team, knows plenty of competition awaits at the state, including two-time state champion David Graham from Bradley Central.

"There's a bunch of good ones at 135, I guess we will see," he said.

Other region winners included Jared Browning (112), Gary Sluder (119) and Jackie Miller (189) of Greenback, Devan Teaster of Heritage (125), Alex Holley of William Blount (130), Edward Holand of Pigeon Forge (140), Isaac Legg of Seymour (145), Blake Ridenour of Maryville (152), Cody Davis of Pigeon Forge (160), Greg Grieco of Farragut (171), Kyle Stuff of Gibbs (215) and Caleb Leonard of Halls (285).

Sluder's 9-7 win over Trent LaRue of Halls was voted Best Match, while Sluder, Teaster and Ridenour were named Best Wrestlers.

Other runner-up finishers included Luke Hall of Seymour (112), Jacob Holley of William Blount (125), Jess Hooper of Greenback (130), Michael Raimondi of Seymour (140), Lucas Farmer of Gibbs (145), Micah Bolden of Halls (152), Adam Keylon of Karns (160), Zac Veum of Catholic (171), John Davis of Seymour (189), Matt Ladish of Halls (215), and Tyler Dailey of Greenback (285).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GREENBACK IS A JOKE THEY ALL WERE ACTING LIKE IDIOTS THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true.

They only acted like idiots at the very end. A couple of the less mature types used a pie to mimic the gatorade bath on their unsuspecting coach when the team scores were announced. The coach was not amused either, I suspect there may be a couple of unhappy pranksters at practice.

"GREENBACK IS A JOKE THEY ALL WERE ACTING LIKE IDIOTS THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!"

someone sounds a little butt hurt that they diddnt win......

Congrats you deserve it from your hard work.

However, I don't think you will catch the Admirals 7 yr straight. It's a nice target to shoot for.

I don't understand how your little School doesn??™t get more press. School of a few hundred defeating schools of 1 & 2 thousand students.

I still think your story of success is the best story in TN Sports.

Farragut placed as high as 4th so make Region history and surpass it.

Just keep on knocking down the big boys. I know how fustrated some of your parents use to get when facing Maryville. I guess that is gone now /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good Luck at state I will cheer for the Nation!

Greenback will no longer be in region II. I believe their region will include Bradley, Cleveland, Walker Valley McMinn County, McMinn Central, Maryville, Alcoa, William Blount, Heritage. There may be more. So, another school will have to try and break Farragut's record.

I did see Sluder hold up 4 fingers on each hand after he won his finals match. 4 time Region Champion. I did not see anything wrong with that.

Good Luck to all the Region II State Qualifiers!

On another note, Thank You to the following people or groups of people who did a wonderful job at the Region II Tournament:

To Tim Pittman, all Gibbs Wrestlers, and Gibbs Wrestling Club and supporters. GREAT JOB! All the successful wrestling programs across the state have an outstanding support staff and Gibbs HS has a tremendous support staff.

The Gibbs HS Administartion who allowed the event to be hosted in thier school. Not only did their Principal allow them to host it, he, Lynn Hill, was there on Friday and Saturday supporting his schools wrestlers and coaching staff.

David Floyd and his wife did a tremendous job! They are a very good team and if there is anyone that is looking for someone to be their official pairer at their event, these two are very good. They take a great deal of pride in their work and things went very smoothly.

The people who spent their time keeping score and the clock thank you very much. Your efforts were very instrumental in the success of the event.

The folks who worked and set up the Hospitality room are owed a BIG THANK YOU! Wow what an effort. Lunch on Saturday: Grilled Trout, Grilled pork Chops and Chicken Breast,, with all the fixens! I know that no coach went thirsty or hungary during their 2 days there.

And to those former state Medalists from Region II who returned to the event to hand out the medals. Thank You all very much! Alot of those wrestlers who you awarded medals to have heard of you and your accomplishments! Who knows, you may have inspired some of these wrestlers to committ and push themselves in this great sport.

Thank You very much too all the Wrestling Coaches for their hard work and dedication!

This will be the new region 3 from 2009-2013 for individuals

alcoa

bradley central

cleveland

cumberland county

greenback

heritage

kingston

maryville

mcminn central

mcminn county

rhea county

sequoyah

stone memorial

walker valley

william blount

I was trying to find that info on the TSSAA site, Where did you find it?