Union City Golden Tornadoes End Spring Drills

Not too bad for a single A team against a 5A team. Good old physical spring football helps set the tone for the rest of the offseason workouts. Also lets us know where we need to work on (new quarterbacks) Up and coming freshmen should hopefully provide some depth to our small numbers.

If your qbs need work where did you guys excel? Did you give your wings more speed sweeps, or what? What's the answer in the veer when the qb isn't playing very well? Does your qb run well? Can't run like speed I would imagine, but how well in general?

As the article stated, the QB's didn't separate themselves....Didn't say they played particularly bad....In the 6 years Bowling has been in West Tennessee he hasn't had a QB execute his offense the way Speed did..Or should I say he hasn't had a QB with the breakaway burst that Speed had...He has had QB's that executed the veer better...

I shudder to think how good Speed could have been in this offense for four years....

The QB's that Bowling has to work with next Fall will have to execute extremely well to offset the athletic ability Speed had...

I would say they will be fine by the time the season starts...

I would say most UC people are drinking the Kool Aid too much. Especially that reporter Hutchens or whatever. Nobody loses a Mr. Football finalist and gets better. That doesn't happen. I think UC will have problems scoring against good teams. Now they do get to play the sisters of the poor most of the time, but they better be really good on defense or they will be pounded against the better teams and the bigger out of district teams like Westview and Obion.

I would say most UC people are drinking the Kool Aid too much. Especially that reporter Hutchens or whatever. Nobody loses a Mr. Football finalist and gets better. That doesn't happen. I think UC will have problems scoring against good teams. Now they do get to play the sisters of the poor most of the time, but they better be really good on defense or they will be pounded against the better teams and the bigger out of district teams like Westview and Obion.

Enlighten us all on the Kool Aid....

I didn't see in the article where it was stated or implied that UC would be better without Colton Speed...Everyone associated with the UC program knows replacing Speed with Caveness or Bowling, either one, is going to be pretty close to impossible simply because they are completely different types of athletes...

I think the goal of any coach is to get better...If the Tornadoes can make the same amount of improvement as they did last year they will be tough to handle....

BTW..The Tornadoes don't play Westview this season and Obion Central is on a 20 game losing streak....

Since you didn't know the schedule..Here it is....

2009 Schedule

August 21 Trigg Co (KY) Home

August 28 OPEN DATE

September 4 Trenton* Home

September 11 Huntingdon Home

September 18 Obion Co. Away

September 25 TCA Away

October 2 Greenfield* Away

October 9 Humboldt * Home

October 16 Halls* Away

October 23 Lake Co.* Home

October 30 South Fulton* Away

I do not see too many "sisters of the poor" in that schedule. TCA, Humboldt, Trenton, Lake County, & Huntingdon are all pretty decent teams. Hutchens is a pretty good newspaper sports reporter and has been doing it for 25+years. And like P&G said, we do not play Westview this year and OC hasn't won a game in 2 years ("...pounded against better and bigger teams....")

Bigorangefan, maybe you need to come over and drink some of our Kool Aid, because you must have been drinking from the toilet bowl with those comments.

I do not see too many "sisters of the poor" in that schedule. TCA, Humboldt, Trenton, Lake County, & Huntingdon are all pretty decent teams. Hutchens is a pretty good newspaper sports reporter and has been doing it for 25+years. And like P&G said, we do not play Westview this year and OC hasn't won a game in 2 years ("...pounded against better and bigger teams....")

Bigorangefan, maybe you need to come over and drink some of our Kool Aid, because you must have been drinking from the toilet bowl with those comments.

Hey Atlas...BOF must have forgotten had it not been been for two very costly turnovers inside the Westview 5 yard line the "much bigger and better" Chargers would have limped away from War Memorial with an opening season loss last season....

Trigg County is good as well....

Trigg County since 2000 ...

2000 -- 10-2 Class AA Playoffs 2nd Round

2001 -- 10-3 Class AA Playoffs quarterfinals

2002 -- 8-3 Class AA Playoffs 1st Round

2003 -- 9-3 Class AA Playoffs 2nd Round

2004 -- 10-2 Class AA Playoffs 2nd Round

2005 -- 9-3 Class AA Playoffs 2nd Round

2006 -- 10-3 Class AA Playoffs quarterfinals

2007 -- 9-4 Class AA Playoffs quarterfinals

2008 -- 6-5 Class 2A Playoffs 2nd Round

81-29 for the decade, 11-9 in the playoffs