South Greene vs. Elizabethton Round #3

coachh17

Does anyone know how Coach Ricker is doing? Haven't heard or seen him in a while. Know his whole ordeal has been tough on him. But I do bet he is pretty proud of his niece. I also bet he would be proud of this team. They have the same intensity and play with that aire about them that many of his teams had. Should be a great game. If South Greene shoots the ball like they did the other night against CD might be a long night for the Cyclones. Do believe the foul situation will help determine the outcome. Neither team seems to go very deep on the bench. Hope both teams have a great night and it turns out to be as close as it should be.

As weird as it might sound i'm pretty sure he is helping with Greeneville Girls team this year. Ever game i've been 2 he is always sitting down next to the opening close to the Greeneville bench and is dressed up. He seems to be doing pretty good for everything he has been through

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Elizabethton to win, Powell must stay out of foul trouble. EHS needs her on the court to help handle the SG press. SG needs Dye to stay out of foul trouble for them to win. If EHS can keep this a half court type game, they win. If its a run and gun affair, that favors SG.

While tonights game is big......its for a District title; next weeks likely Regional championship game is bigger.

Good luck Lady Cyclones.

Elizabethton had SG on the ropes in regulation but just could not knock down the free throws. EHS missed 9 of 10 FTs in the last minute of regulation, allowing SG to hang around long enough to get the game to OT. EHS led by five at the half, 25-20, I think. SG came out hard in the third, and forged a lead heading into the fourth. EHS fought back and had a 5 point lead inside the last minute of regulation. That last minute must have took 20 minutes to play. Both teams left it all on the floor. Refs were controversial, but to be fair, they had a hard job tonight. Very physical play on both sides.

A technical on a SG player gave EHS a chance to retake the lead at the foul line with 15 seconds to play. EHS missed but still had possession, and Jefferson got fouled on a shot attempt with 5 seconds left, but missed both FTs. SG didnt get a shot off so OT here we come, tied at 55. In OT SG took control early and never let up.

Fouls played a huge role. Pietrowski fouled out in regulation. Before it was over four of the lady cyclones six starters (I consider Bowling a starter) exited via fouls (Powell, Fritz, Bowling and Mariah). Dye for SG must have scored 30 points. A bright spot for the Lady Cyclones' was sophomore Erin Kiser who had a career night with about 18 points.

EHS is getting closer to SG. I hope these two get a rematch next week with a home substate game on the line.

For the Cyclone faithful, this game would hurt alot more if it was a season ender. But its not. Im confident the Clones will learn from this near-win experience and draw on it next week. I'd say Len will have them shooting some extra FTs at the end of practice this week.

Outstanding effort by both teams.

Go Cyclones!

Congratulations to South Greene on winning the District Title. I believe it breaks a five year run of titles for Elizabethton, but the Cyclones did everything but win to maintain the streak. They were 1-10 in the last minute and a half and 1-6 in the last fifteen seconds of regulation from the line. South Greene played their usual physical brand of basketball and tried to hand the title to Elizabethton with the late technical, but the Cyclones could not close the deal. Both games went in to overtime tonight and it was heated, but everyone seemed to stay pretty calm. We may get a round four in this rivalry next week. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Congratulations to South Greene on winning the District Title. I believe it breaks a five year run of titles for Elizabethton, but the Cyclones did everything but win to maintain the streak. They were 1-10 in the last minute and a half and 1-6 in the last fifteen seconds of regulation from the line. South Greene played their usual physical brand of basketball and tried to hand the title to Elizabethton with the late technical, but the Cyclones could not close the deal. Both games went in to overtime tonight and it was heated, but everyone seemed to stay pretty calm. We may get a round four in this rivalry next week. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Free-throws don't seem so FREE while standing there with the game, and of course, in this case, the title - literally - on the line. Especially when you get those technical freebies: The whole world watching; palms sweating. Anyhow, the region will likely come down to those same teams.

I could be wrong (usually am), but I believe that Unicoi County actually won the District Tournament a couple seasons back. Then, the Lady Blue Devils and Lady Cyclones squared off in the Region One-AA semi-finals the next week at Chuckey Doak, in the game that Hannah Fritz hit the huge corner shot that nearly took the roof off; part of that amazing, something like fourteen-to-two finish... won by Elizabethton.

Good luck to Elizabethton

Congratz to SG they are definitley a tough team!

Elizabethton had the opportunity in their hands but just could not come through on the Free Throws...

This had to be one of the worst called games i have ever seen for a championship game. The last foul on Pietrowski was a charge but called a block, the technical on the SG girl (Crump I believe ??) didn't seem called for but i'm not sure IF she said anything or just smacked the floor. It took half a game before the female Ref even blew her whistle but when she started woooo she didn't let up.... Hopefully these three will retire for the season and not be allowed to call any regional action for ANY team...

I believe one of the credentials when becoming a ref is you actually played the game at some point in your life it seems to be as easy to become one as it is to bash bad refs on a internet forum / message board /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

All in all two very good games last night! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Free-throws don't seem so FREE while standing there with the game, and of course, in this case, the title - literally - on the line. Especially when you get those technical freebies: The whole world watching; palms sweating. Anyhow, the region will likely come down to those same teams.

I could be wrong (usually am), but I believe that Unicoi County actually won the District Tournament a couple seasons back. Then, the Lady Blue Devils and Lady Cyclones squared off in the Region One-AA semi-finals the next week at Chuckey Doak, in the game that Hannah Fritz hit the huge corner shot that nearly took the roof off; part of that amazing, something like fourteen-to-two finish... won by Elizabethton.

You may be right. I was in Nashville that season. We can call it four of five. CycloneFan will know for sure.

actually krich, i believe that unicoi has won the title the last two years in a row???? i could be wrong about that but think that is right. then in both years lost to betsy in the region semi-final. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />