TOP 10

hounddog

1. The "Jed Clampett" affair should never have happened, was corrected and will not happen again.

2. If I read your post correctly, your idea seems to be that Bradley's success comes from their lusty desire for money? Always thought that teams were successful because of quality kids club programs, tough practice rooms, intensity, character, pride, technique, conditioning, etc..Thanks for clearing it up for me. Forget hard work and dedication coaches....go to the bank, get a loan for $1,400, sit back and watch the State titles roll in! The secret is out.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RZRSOS,

Even though my team is in D2, I applaud Allan Jones (who is a Cleveland alumni, not Bradley County) for funding the broadcast of the D1 state finals. Several people I know who don't follow the sport, told me that they watched the broadcast thinking they would see both divisions. Even though they didn't see the particular match they were expecting, each one commented that they viewed the entire broadcast and found it very exciting. This type of exposure can only help the sport. If you tired of seeing too many black and gold singlets, it was probably because they had a lot of guys in the finals. Build up your program so that more of your guys make the finals. If you want changes, help finance the broadcast and I'm sure they would give you a say in the programing. As for handing out $100 bills, who cares? If he was giving away new cars then maybe that would be an unfair incentive. Nobody would invest the time and effort to be a successful wrestler for $100.

Thank you Allan Jones. Please don't let these petty complaints deter your support of wrestling

This was just a general comment which should have been stated immediately following the tourney. In talking with WTCI during the week following, Mr. Hogstrom (Gen. Mgr) stated they will definately ask for changes if there is another telecast. Numerous complaints from Chattanooga schools about lack of coverage, specifically D2. Which may have the best wrestling coach in the state, Cordon Connell of McCallie.

I applaud Mr. Jones for his efforts, Bradley has great wrestlers, in fact maybe the best HS wrestler ever in TN, but his indiscretion could have cost college scholorships for deserving kids. Had this not come to light, and the money given back, it would have been an NCAA violation.

Hats off to the kids for working their tails off for their school, NOT money. It was not intended to infer that money is the kids motivation.

Thanks Walkenvol and RZRSOS. I too support the State Tournament broadcast and enthusiastic support by Alan Jones. I wish we were talking about the Top 10 Teams PERIOD without the D1/DII split. A combined State Torney is my wish and seemingly most everyone elses (maybe someday). Its a shame to see petty critisism of anyone supporting the sport. Maybe DII can find the funding to broadcast alongside D1 this year. Alan did give DII a chance to fund their finals also. I received a copy of the request sent to DII supporters. How about we all band together and make a comprehensive broadcast happen??? Who says the supporters have to be split??? I have coached boys in DI & DII and I'm happy to see any of them on TV. Remember, this is about them!!!

:D

RZRSOS,

What entitles anyone to complain about the coverage if they didn't help buy the broadcast. It is my understanding that PBS SOLD the airtime and Mr. Jones was willing to pay. Someone told me it was $20,000 but I don't know that for a fact. They didn't televise the D1 finals as a public service. Regardless of your opinion of the broadcast, you must agree that it was better than no coverage at all. As with anything new, the broadcast should improve this year, if it happens again. I hope the petty complaints haven't discouraged Mr. Jones from funding it again.

I think that Gordon Connell is a fine coach also and I'm sure he would appreciate your $20,000 PBS donation to televise the D2 finals. Put a golf tournament together, raise the money, and make it happen instead of complaining. I disagree with Bradley's refusal to wrestle D2 teams because I think it hurts the sport, but throwing stones at them about the PBS broadcast funded by a Cleveland High School supporter is silly

Hey if Bradley Central does not want to wrestle any DII schools, then that is their choice and we have to respect that. But insulting each other by saying one has an unfaire advantage or that one is sceered is not going to help the situation. If we are going to be sperated then lets do it with out animosity and act like grown ups for a change. Remember the sport is for the kids, not the coaches or parents.

A kid transfers to McCallie and its an advantage, a kid transfers from Baylor to Bradley and no one says a word. Hey guys it works both ways and if you say public schools don't recruit you got you head burried in the sand. Now lets just say these kids just wanted to transfer on their own, which is probably the truth, but no it has to be recruiting because he went to a DII school.

[Edited by KCHSCoach on 9-11-02 1:02P]

Posted by KCHSCoach:

Hey if Bradley Central does not want to wrestle any DII schools, then that is their choice and we have to respect that. But insulting each other by saying one has an unfaire advantage or that one is sceered is not going to help the situation. If we are going to be sperated then lets do it with out animosity and act like grown ups for a change. Remember the sport is for the kids, not the coaches or parents.

Coach-

While we must respect the right make a choice, we do not have to respect what we believe is a bad decision. If the sport is for the kids, wouldn't it be best for them to wrestle best competition available? The people that are hurt by these decisions are not the parents or the coaches but the wrestlers and Tennesee wrestling.