TOP 10

hounddog

legman,

I was not trying to say anything bad about the Bradley coaches, wrestlers, or program in any way!!! You were making a big assumption that is just not true. In fact I extended a compliment to a former Bradley wrestler as he deserved. The whole purpose of my post was to say that there is no reason that the individual state tournament should be split into 2 divisions. Do you feel that the Bradley coaches are trying to pad their record with several state champions each year? I don't think so, but you seem to be very sensative to the idea!!!!

If your intentions were to rally the troops and keep the propaganda flying between the 2 divisions, then you are well on your way to being a success. Maybe if you worked as hard at bringing the 2 divisions back together as you do at keeping them seperated the wrestlers and fans in Tennessee would finally be extended the opportunity to see another great state wrestling tournament!!

[Edited by cbg on 9-12-02 1:51P]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by walkenvol:

legman,

If you want to wrestle McEachern and most of the other top teams in the southeast then I invite you to drive just 25 miles down I-75 and compete in the McCallie Inv.

FYI, just one minor detail with this issue is that Bradley's tournament is held the same weekend as the McCallie tournament. For some schools this is a big revenue producer. It is not likely they would give up their event to come to McCallie's event.

Walkenvol,

How ironic that you would invite Bradley just 25 miles down the road.....Sounds familiar. Sort of like when I invited you several weeks ago to travel the same 25 miles or pick up the phone and address Coach Logsdon man to man.

For you to assume that I would take time away from my family and other interests to publically explain my feelings regarding the split is just silly. (and yes, it would take that long) Why?...so that you can sit down with your pen and paper and desperately search for some flaw in my writing? Perhaps so that you can take something out of context or twist words to fit your needs? No thank you. I am completely confident that we are doing what we feel is the right thing. I don't feel any need to convince you or anyone else to come over to our "side". Ask any coach, public or private if we have tried to recruit them to our way of thinking. Again, confidence in your convictions takes away the need to be backed up by others or popular. Want to know anything about the Bradley Wrestling program?? Ask a current or past Bradley wrestler or parent what it meant to them or the lessons they took from it. That is the only feedback that concerns us. Because that is why we do this...to try to help turn these young men into good men. I am only embarrassed that I have taken this time to respond to you...what a waste of time. (Now get your pen and paper out and start on that first draft, because that certainly seems to be your style) As for me, I'm going in the back yard to play with my kids. I don't plan on doing this again with you. Good luck to you, your son and McCallie.

legman, I think you explained your points on this issue very well. I am still waiting for someone to present a plan to bring both divisions back together that both sides would agree on......I think we all know that there is none. So instead of going back and forth on this issue and going nowhere, I think we should enjoy the accomplishments of both divisions and stop the bickering.

Walkenvol, I want to compliment you because you've been doing a great job of getting discussions going on here.....lets move on to another topic....we're all getting pumped for the upcoming season.

QUOTE>Posted by legman:

Walkenvol,

How ironic that you would invite Bradley just 25 miles down the road.....Sounds familiar. Sort of like when I invited you several weeks ago to travel the same 25 miles or pick up the phone and address Coach Logsdon man to man.

For you to assume that I would take time away from my family and other interests to publically explain my feelings regarding the split is just silly. (and yes, it would take that long) Why?...so that you can sit down with your pen and paper and desperately search for some flaw in my writing? Perhaps so that you can take something out of context or twist words to fit your needs? No thank you. I am completely confident that we are doing what we feel is the right thing. I don't feel any need to convince you or anyone else to come over to our "side". Ask any coach, public or private if we have tried to recruit them to our way of thinking. Again, confidence in your convictions takes away the need to be backed up by others or popular. Want to know anything about the Bradley Wrestling program?? Ask a current or past Bradley wrestler or parent what it meant to them or the lessons they took from it. That is the only feedback that concerns us. Because that is why we do this...to try to help turn these young men into good men. I am only embarrassed that I have taken this time to respond to you...what a waste of time. (Now get your pen and paper out and start on that first draft, because that certainly seems to be your style) As for me, I'm going in the back yard to play with my kids. I don't plan on doing this again with you. Good luck to you, your son and McCallie.

Legman, Sorry to hear that your signing off the message board, the interaction was entertaining. I regret that we couldn't discuss the unification topic in a way that wouldn't make you feel like you and your program were under personal attack. Again I will state that I think your an excellent coach, Bradley is the reigning top program in the state, and I think highly of the people I know personally that are associated with your program. I'm still confused why you continue to ask me to call you when I have clearly stated my points on this board for all to see. Like SLY, I am looking for the acceptable reunification plan, but there are many people in the wrestling community who still do not have a clear understanding of your pro-split perspective. Many D1 programs may favor the split because it relieves them from competing with the top D2 programs. With the strength of your team that is obviously not your concern. I don't assume that you will use your valuable time to share your perspective (which is not silly) in this open forum but, even the Israelies and Palestinians make progress when they discuss their differences. Consider this, if the points of contention were clear, then maybe someone on this board would be able to offer up viable compromise for reunification. I thought that there were specific reasons that this wedge was driven between the divisions. If you prefer the current format then obviously no form of compromise will ever be acceptable.

If we are extending invitations, I invite you to accept a dual meet with McCallie. It can be at your home. I promise the atmosphere will be electric, the competition will be outstanding and your gate will be record setting. If your answer is no, what concession do you require of McCallie in order for you to accept?

Open your ears and listen. Teams that stand on their principles to not wrestle DII schools have the right to choose who they wrestle. There are programs that know that private schools that give any kind of aid, be it loans or scholarships, take a kid out of their district that would be going to their school. If a kid lives in County High School's (fictional) district and doesnt't have the money to go to private school, he should go to his districted school. The problem comes when aid is involved. He now has the option to going to a private school with aid. These schools, with their entrance exams and qualifications, accept the elite kids academically. Do they all look at athletics as motivation for getting a kid? Of course not. Some do and some don't. The simple fact is that every private school kid is districted to a public school. That kid belongs in that public school. Elitists such as yourself rip them from their assigned district and school them at the private schools. You have that right. When financial aid is involoved it changes things. Private schools have always had the opportunity to compete on the DI level. Lipscomb has no financial aid. FRA made it's athletes on aid make a choice, pay your way or don't play. The McCallies, Baylors, Ryans, Brothers etc. simply can't have it both ways.

Why should Bradley schedule a meet with McCallie? They don't need to scout them for the state. They don't need to scout them for the region. Just because it would be entertaining is not a good enough reason.

give it up walkenvol

[Edited by DoctorEvil on 9-13-02 10:54A]

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.....I am done with this particular subject. (but thanks for the words, Dr Evil)

If I do ever want to schedule McCallie, I will be sure to contact a member of their coaching staff rather than a parent, but thanks just the same.

I have a great deal of respect for Coach Connell, Coach Newman, Coach Blair and Coach Killian. Even with our disagreements, they have never been anything less than gentlemen toward our program. Outside of the recruiting, financial aid issue, I have only positive things to say about these coaches and their program. This is not and never has been personal. McCallie has a right to be very proud of this wrestling staff.

DoctorEvil, OPEN YOUR EARS, when are you going to understand that public schools do not have a monopoly on kids, this is a free country where people have a choice. The fact is privare schools are doing the publics a favor...PRIVATE school parents are still paying taxes for public schools yet their kids recieve none of the benefits from that tax. Instead they pay tuition to a DII school, therefore freeing funds for cashed straped public schools. Can you imagine the CHAOS if in Hamilton county, Baylor, McCallie, GPS, Notre Dame, Boyd Bucchanon, Chattanooga Christian, Temple, Grace all closed their doors and Hamilton county had to educate them, buy books, build the buildings.

Second point. Monopolies are wasteful, provide a poor product at too high a cost. (basic law of economics). Obviously Baylor, McCallie and all the rest must provide a good product for them to enroll kids and keep them. Competition is good it makes one provide the best product at the lowest possible price. If public schools want to keep the brightest and most talented, or athletic, then provide a good product! Obviously some schools are good some are not.

Third point kids are kids, let them compete, it does not matter if they are rich, or have more talent, or are more athletic, they are kids. Believe it or not in real life after graduation they all will be competting for jobs and scholarships. We have athletics in high schools to teach our kids lessons about life, hard work, discipline, commitment, time management, how to win and how to loose. This DI and DII split is so un-natural..it is so political to appese some big schools' coaches that came up short a year or two and got mad....and they were not even wrestling coaches but football coaches (biggest cry babbies in the world)

Lets do what is right for the sport, one state, one sport, one champion! Lets not water it all down

kchscoach,

I made the same statement to a member of the Davidson County School Board about the public schools receiving tax money from the private school students that was not being used. At first he did not agree with me but after about two weeks we had lunch and this is what he would say off the record:

1. There is no way that the public schools could educate all of the private school students if the private schools decided to close their doors.

2. Many public school systems do not use their funds wisely.

3. Mainstreaming students is not successful and actualy hurts many students with academic learning.

4. Most private school parents are very demanding and would create problems for many public school educators that have had the luxury of not having to answer to parents.

5. Both public schools and private schools are good for one another. They both have their strong points and weak points but neither would be as strong without the other one.