Night pictures

So it sounds like I need to take the extender off at night and I need to manually get the camera's iso to 3200 and work down from there. I think I have only had the iso to 1600 but I can manually raise it. Yes, I have the expensive lens and they were out of the lens with the built in stabilizer and I didn't want to wait-wish I would have now. I'll let you know how it works out. The Germantown Baseball pictures on Coach T's site are taken by me and you can see the difference in the day and night pictures. Thanks for all the advice!!

The extender is the prob. ISO above 1600 will not work. 1200 if the lighting is pretty good. The lower you can get it the better results you'll have. I usually snap a few pictures and preview them under the conditions, till I get the settings right for that particular venue.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been shooting girl soccer for about 10+ years now. Yes, the biggest difference between getting good shots at night is the 2.8 lens (don't confuse that with a 1.5x converter.....like spark plugs and tires for a car).

Shoot like crazy during the day, you will likely miss it at night.

On some rare occasions you may get lucky if the field you are visiting has ample ambient light, but this is generally a 1:50 shot.

Try shooting at the ends of the field, rather than the sides. Panning with your camera will add to the blur. If you are in the far end of the field, put some duct tape over your mouth so you remain quiet. Once you encourage a team, or discourage the ref, you are back on the sidelines....trust me...I am a slow learner.

Lastly, you have heard about all these $$$ lenses. Well, you can actually rent any of these in order to sure up your purchase.

See you on the pitch.

• 6 months later...
Any suggestions on how to get good pictures at night when you can't use your flash? Especially pictures with movement such as batting and/or pitching. I have the Canon 40D camera. My pictures do not look good under the lights and no flash....

thanks

I have foudn that no flash pictures look best at night, atleast from my camera they do. usually when I do have flash on the picture is way to bright and you can see pixaltion.