High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

So, again, I pose the question. As a spectator what would you rather see? A slow down game with the chance of a blowout or a game that is over before its begun? It'll be one or the other and either way it won't be that exciting for a random spectator.

Unless, of course, you're a fan of the better squad and you're REALLY going for your team /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Either way, something should be done so they just can't stand there with the ball endlessly. It's not fair, entertaining and does not promote good manners. After all, it's about teaching the little boys and girls life lessons isn't it? Now everyone go brush your teeth, hug your parents or children and go to bed! School or work day tomorrow.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, something should be done so they just can't stand there with the ball endlessly. It's not fair, entertaining and does not promote good manners. After all, it's about teaching the little boys and girls life lessons isn't it? Now everyone go brush your teeth, hug your parents or children and go to bed! School or work day tomorrow.

Come on, Not fair ? The defense can come out and guard. If you're really so bad that you're whole scheme is to hold the ball to win games you won't win many anyway. The whole entertainment argument just doesn't hold water. If the weaker team is on defense they'll get carved up like a christmas turkey. If the weaker team is the offensive team they most likely won't be able to handle pressure and turn the ball over. In either case you're not going to see anything that'll ever appear on ESPN Classic with or without the shot clock

The handshake line after the game promotes good manners. The inability to stall the basketball will do very little to aid in that area

( and be sure not to squeeze the toothpaste tube from the middle )

Come on, Not fair ? The defense can come out and guard. If you're really so bad that you're whole scheme is to hold the ball to win games you won't win many anyway. The whole entertainment argument just doesn't hold water. If the weaker team is on defense they'll get carved up like a christmas turkey. If the weaker team is the offensive team they most likely won't be able to handle pressure and turn the ball over. In either case you're not going to see anything that'll ever appear on ESPN Classic with or without the shot clock

The handshake line after the game promotes good manners. The inability to stall the basketball will do very little to aid in that area

yea but if you have a kid on your team that could go to colleage and play ball

this would make them used to hurrying up

Haha Jvaughn but stalling never works that early in the game...too many poor ball handlers. Kind of goes back to playing to win or playing not to lose the lead....

You obviously don't go watch a lot of basketball if you think it "never works". Does it come back and bite teams in the butt, yes. But that is with the poor ball handling teams, like you said. But there are plenty of teams that can handle the ball. I have gone into a continuity "lay up" only offense a handful of times when I was up late. Haven't lost one of yet. (knock on wood)

To a boring basketball fan it would be.

Or a person who REALLY going for their team.

Not a spectator.

And it just makes the game to easy for teams that really arent that good.

"Boring" basketball is often time smart basketball. If I have 5 unathletic, slow, short kids, I don't need to run and gun. The smart thing to would be to slow it down.

And your last statment just makes me laugh. "It makes it easy for teams that aren't that good" So I guess if you are outmaned you should play to the other teams strengths and just take the whooping?

Scrapman, If it is about teaching the kids life lessons, wouldn't it be that life isn't always "fair."

Bulldog, how many high school players are going to go to college and play? Not sure what the exact number but you would be benefitting the 3-8% of kids who are going to. AAU uses a shot clock, I believe. Use that to get ready because the majority of those players are going to go or really trying to go to college to play ball.

If a player is has talent enough to play at the next level the shot clock adjustment will be the least of their concerns in the jump to the college game

im just saying. some poeple would like a shot clock others wouldnt. thats how it is

jvaughan you are right on the number of kids playing colleage ball.

im just saying. some poeple would like a shot clock others wouldnt. thats how it is

jvaughan you are right on the number of kids playing colleage ball.

I know. What I'm doing is trying to get people to realize that the common reasons stated for wanting one really are not very good reasons to so change the high school game. What I'm NOT doing is questioning any person's passion for the game neither am I attempting to insult anyone's intelligence.

I know. What I'm doing is trying to get people to realize that the common reasons stated for wanting one really are not very good reasons to so change the high school game. What I'm NOT doing is questioning any person's passion for the game neither am I attempting to insult anyone's intelligence.

Well put.

So, again, I pose the question. As a spectator what would you rather see? A slow down game with the chance of a blowout or a game that is over before its begun? It'll be one or the other and either way it won't be that exciting for a random spectator.

Unless, of course, you're a fan of the better squad and you're REALLY going for your team /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If the teams are evenly matched then it wont matter if there is a shot clock or not. I wouldnt go see two vastly unevely matched teams as a random spectator wether there was a 10 second shot clock, 2 min. shot clock, or no shot clock at all.

Not if the teams main scheme on defense is a two-three zone. Then the less talented team can just hold the ball.

You obviously don't go watch a lot of basketball if you think it "never works". Does it come back and bite teams in the butt, yes. But that is with the poor ball handling teams, like you said. But there are plenty of teams that can handle the ball. I have gone into a continuity "lay up" only offense a handful of times when I was up late. Haven't lost one of yet. (knock on wood)

"Boring" basketball is often time smart basketball. If I have 5 unathletic, slow, short kids, I don't need to run and gun. The smart thing to would be to slow it down.

And your last statment just makes me laugh. "It makes it easy for teams that aren't that good" So I guess if you are outmaned you should play to the other teams strengths and just take the whooping?

Scrapman, If it is about teaching the kids life lessons, wouldn't it be that life isn't always "fair."

Bulldog, how many high school players are going to go to college and play? Not sure what the exact number but you would be benefitting the 3-8% of kids who are going to. AAU uses a shot clock, I believe. Use that to get ready because the majority of those players are going to go or really trying to go to college to play ball.

No not play to the other teams strengths and take a whoopin. Like I said it makes it to easy. Shot clock would show you who is better. And it doesnt even have to be a 40 second shot clock. Just SOMETHING that keeps the other team from holding the ball for 5 min. I seen it TOO many times.