High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

Everybody in college don't run and gun. Just because you have a shot clock doesnt mean you cant pass the ball around to limit possessions and play team ball. Instead of taking the first open shot you still can use the strategy of passing and cutting and not jacking up the first three you see.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make some games more exciting in high school but Then the school with the best players would prob win 90% of the time. The coaching strategy would not play as great of a role in the outcome although there still would be stratigy involved just a different kind. In college and at all levels good players have made some coaches look really good and not having players have made good coaches look bad. If the same coach that went 2-20 one year and then 20-2 next year suddenly becomes a great coach. Alot of times its because he has better players. I do believe that teams with less talented players and good coaches would find it tough to compete at the high school level. Just my thoughts

It would make some games more exciting in high school but Then the school with the best players would prob win 90% of the time. The coaching strategy would not play as great of a role in the outcome although there still would be stratigy involved just a different kind. In college and at all levels good players have made some coaches look really good and not having players have made good coaches look bad. If the same coach that went 2-20 one year and then 20-2 next year suddenly becomes a great coach. Alot of times its because he has better players. I do believe that teams with less talented players and good coaches would find it tough to compete at the high school level. Just my thoughts

With college basketball most players on a team were the best player on their respective high school teams. The collection of talent and level of play is greatly elevated.

Also, college coaches keep or lose their jobs on how well they recruit....something this isn't "supposed" to happen in high school basketball......................................................................

With college basketball most players on a team were the best player on their respective high school teams. The collection of talent and level of play is greatly elevated.

Also, college coaches keep or lose their jobs on how well they recruit....something this isn't "supposed" to happen in high school basketball......................................................................

PB,

If I come back in 3 montrhs will this post still be going? Certainetly generated some enthusiasim didn't it.

I stand by my comments earlier......I get you point about coming out and pressuring, but what happens is that the officials are then on the spot.

Perfect example

Let's say, you have an athletic, inner-city school like a Memphis Mitchell or a Nashville Maplewood who play in a more "liberally" officiated District/Region where it is understood that there will be more physicality allowed in those games against District/Regional competition (i.e. more hand checking).

They play a school like, say, Macon County, who plays in a more deliberate District where teams value possession more and the officials probably call it a little tighter.

Those two teams play each other.......................If Macon County has two kids that can handle the ball decently and has the right refs................................might be a LONG night for the city team.

Plus, if you can't get a good shot in 35 seconds running some sort of Continuity motion offense, you shouldn't be playing high school basketball anyways.

Those two teams play each other.......................If Macon County has two kids that can handle the ball decently and has the right refs................................might be a LONG night for the city team.

Plus, if you can't get a good shot in 35 seconds running some sort of Continuity motion offense, you shouldn't be playing high school basketball anyways.

And what is wrong with that team being able to compete with their style of play?

People think refs have a lot to do with the outcome of the game. The more and more I am around the game I find out that 99.9% of the time the officials don't have anything to with the outcome of the game. Yes you have the occasional game where the officiating is so lopsided it can't be ignored, but they don't miss shots, turn the ball over, miss box outs, sub the wrong player in at the wrong time, etc.

So if you aren't athletic enough to run and gun you shouldn't be playing?

WOW! The thread actually fell to the second page, lol. But back to topic, adding a shot clock would also change the strategy of coaches in the final 2 minutes of the game when most coaches want to slow down the pace and grind out as much clock as possible, which brings me back to one of my original points. If you are dumb enough not to guard the offense for extended periods of time then you don't deserve to win and you especially don't have any room to whine about the other team doing whatever it takes to win the game.