High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes we need a shot clock and yes we need to change the jump ball and i think that the 3 point line needs to be sanded up. if there was no 3 point line then there would be a lot more d-fence played games were a lot better when there was no 3 point line.

Getting rid of the 3 point line is not going to make teams better defensively. If they stunk at defense beforehand, they will stink afterwards............

yes we need a shot clock and yes we need to change the jump ball and i think that the 3 point line needs to be sanded up. if there was no 3 point line then there would be a lot more d-fence played games were a lot better when there was no 3 point line.

Whoa! whoa! whoa!, If there was not a three point line I don't think we would of won tonight. We hit two of them back to back to pull within two. I understand your point though. I say take it back a foot and you would not have so many. Coach's would not aloow as much.

I wouldn't mind seeing high school go to two 16 minute halves with a 35 second shot clock. You got to have 10 seconds because some teams try to press and force these calls. The three point line is perfect. I still don't think it was a good idea to move it back in the college game.

IMO they don't need a shot clock, but if one was to be put in then it should only be whenever the game is less than 5 points and under 2 minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarter. High school basketball (especially in West TN) is just a run and gun game. The shot clock really wouldn't affect the game until the end of the 1st half or game.

Same thread was started on the girls board a few weeks back. And same result. People saying it would make the game more exciting and there was more of getting them ready for college on the girls thread, but I believe I saw it once at least.

High school does not need a shot clock. You have to think of the whole population of players if you are going to make such a massive rule change. Not every kid is going to be able to play at the level the shot clock would demand. (by "level" I mean the college level) Would it mean more points? If you believe that more shots means more points, then yes. But I am a believer that it wouldn't mean more points for a lot of teams because they wouldn't be able to get a quality shot without having the time to work the ball for the shot they want. Also I think there is nothing more beautiful in basketball than a good ball handling team running a continuity offense. All a shot clock would do is make the high school a one on one clear out game. As for getting them ready for the college game, how many of these kids are going to play ball in college? You would be benefitting an extremely small group. Also if getting the ready is your arguement, then are you going to put one at the middle/Jr High school level to get them ready for high school?

As for getting rid the three point line to make for better defense, if you do that teams will sit back in a zone and give you a 20 foot two pointer instead of a 3 foot two pointer. They would just back off of you and let you shoot a lower percentage shot. If that's good defense, please call Coach K at Duke and tell him that whatever he is doing teaching on the ball defense is wrong.

I don't like the jump ball rule in college, but I do at the high school level.

I totally agree. To sit out there on top and hold the ball is just infuriating and just plain poor sportmanship. I go to watch basketball and I pay to watch it and expect to be entertained. Watching some dolt sitting on a 10 point lead and holding the ball is not my idea of a good game. And even worse is the coach on the other side saying fine, if they just want to hold it? we will not challenge. Stupiest thing I ever saw. Do away with the jump ball rule while your at it. If it's going to be called a jump ball, then jump it! Some of these ref's call it a millasecond into the wrap up. Not that you ask me but, just my 2 cents...

I agree with and share your opinion on the jump ball rule. As a matter of fact, I believe that should be changed at the NCAA level as well.

Now, here's my thing on the shot clock. Number one, a shot clock has nothing to do with quality of the game or for the experience of players and coaches. It's all about spectators experience. Secondly, the burden here is on the defense. You don't want someone to hold the ball then come out and guard. Finally, if you're a coaching a team that is down by 10 and you don't challenge then you're an idiot and deserve to lose the game anyway. Most often these are games where you see someone holding the ball in order to stall are games in which one team is much weaker or less athletic then their opponent and they're attempting to keep the score and flow of the game low and slow in attempt to even the odds. So here are our options: Keep things as they are and hope it's not a rout or put in a shot clock and assure yourself seeing of a rout. Either way, you're not going to witness a " good game ". There are instances of coaches stalling the ball in a bit of " chest thumping" contest with a rival coach or in order to protest a bad official but most often the above scenario is the norm.

All that aside here is my biggest issue with a shot clock. The responsibility of those charged with keeping it. Think about the scoreboard operator for a moment for example. This will be a bit long-winded but I'm going some where with it. When you're keeping the scoreboard you have a lot on your plate. Some scoreboards keep up with individual player numbers, points, and fouls ( and if you do that then my hat is off to you ) but most just keep the score and team fouls. You make sure subs get in if refs don't notice and keep time on time-outs but at the end of the day the scoreboard operator has one key mandate. Keep the game time correctly. Even the score on that board is not what ultimately matters. The score in the official score book is. So, when doing this job you must pay attention and not get caught up in the game. You must at all times be listening for the whistle. You need someone one that can be trusted not to be fan or a homer but ,in fact, an official. I'm sure you've been to games where the clock operator wasn't paying attention for one reason or another, be a tight game or not. It's a problem and source of controversy but one we have to deal with because, well, we can't live without the clock....... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Now, with the shot clock. You have pay as much attention to the actual game. The difference is that timekeepers are not required to make judgment calls. A shot clock operator does. I speak from experience having done so in Division-II men's and women's games. Now, it's not always so complex. Many times, a shot taken clearly hits the rim and , boom, reset the shot clock. Ok, but let's assume it's on the far side of the goal from where you sit. Did it hot the rim or not? You have to make the call. On a lose ball, did a team have possession and warrant a fresh shot clock or not ? Situations like these are more common than you'd like to think. In the end, the officials themselves can always correct you but that's just one more thing for them to worry about. It's just another potential source of controversy and game interruption which is ironic sense the key argument for the shot clock is to make the game more " fan friendly ". Bottom line, I don't trust John Q. to do that job correctly and it isn't something we just have to include. The game can go on without it.

This is all aside from the fact that you'd have to pay the extra person and pay to have the clock installed. ( which would cost well over $1,000 per school or gym). What happens when it malfunctions? ( aside from the cost to fix it ) In the NCAA, such cases are resolved by the shot clock time being kept at the score's table on a stopwatch and the final 10 seconds are announced over the PA. Well, not every school has PA announcer either.

I know this is long and drawn out but I just wanted to be thorough. It's more trouble than it's worth at this level.