High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the jump ball rule to what they have in the NBA wouldn't be a good idea. It wouldn't work out fair for when a hustling 5'5 guard ties up a 6'4 post player. Not everybody has the vertical of a Nate Robinson. If anything changing it to rewarding the defense would be the only way to change it semi-fairly but there would still be unfair elements to that rule as well, and isn't the rules supposed to be made to make the game as fair for both teams as possible.

As for the jump ball rule- give every jumpball to the defense- reward the hustle or reward the pressure on the ball because the offense can't handle the ball.

Just my opinion- I think the game would be better.

That is a great idea. Someone said it would be semi-fair...I think it would be totally fair. As you said, reward the D for hustle.

I like the idea of shot clocks and 16-minute halves.

Shot clock however is costly to install and where do you place them? In the NCAA, they are on top of the basket and are wired with the red lights on the backboard. A lot of gyms I have been too, it wouldn't be feasable to place these on top of the basket for whatever reasoning (very few gyms have the portable goals, most are connected to the ceiling).

It would also be another cost incurred by the host school, whether the state required a fourth official to keep this or had the school hire another timer (of course, I think most schools play one or two JV contests before the varsity games, as a possibility...they could have one of these officials then assigned to keep the shot clock).

While it really isnt feasable to have a shot clock, it becomes increasingly frustrating to see these postseason games, where a team gets up by 8-10 in the fourth quarter and pulls the air out of it. You can't blame the coaches of the teams with the lead, because they are playing by the rules of the system. This was more of an issue in the girls state finals last year.... a 31-30 game in Class A, a 44-35 game in AA, and a 37-33 OT game in AAA.

Sixteen minute halves also prepare the players for the NCAA level of competition, much like AAU. They also take into account a portion of strategy of substitution for coaches without the quarter break. A lot of coaches sub kids out at the 2 minute mark to the 1 minute mark of the 1st quarter, then they get the quarter break of 1-2 minutes, then sit the 1st one or two minutes of the 2nd quarter for a long break. Take out a quarter break, and you install a portion of strategy, but also may favor teams that are deeper.

Yeah let's all go for the shot clock. We can raise the gate price up from about 5 dollars a game to around 8 dollars a game to pay for this. That would only be about 62 dollars a week for a family of four with a child playing. Not to mention if he has one playing Middle school also. All we need is an extra official and the clocks mounted with lights and horn. And don't forget. TV monitors so if we have a disputed call we can all huddle around the monitor to see if he got the shot off in time. While we're at it, why don't we use the monitor to see if Johnny's foot was on the line on that last 3 attempt. Seriously, where is all this money coming from.

That is a great idea. Someone said it would be semi-fair...I think it would be totally fair. As you said, reward the D for hustle.

The reason I stated it would be semi-fair was that not all situations are the same. Like if there is a mad dash for the ball with possession changing multiple times, the decision on who was the offense and defense becomes a judgement call and we all know how some refs do with such calls. It would put an even bigger load on the refs to get the call right.

No, its semi-fair. Not EVERY time their is a jump ball does it mean that the defense did something impressive or worth reward. It could be just to guys goin after a loose ball.

Then stay at home..........

Winning is entertaining to me.

To a boring basketball fan it would be.

Or a person who REALLY going for their team.

Not a spectator.

And it just makes the game to easy for teams that really arent that good.

No, its semi-fair. Not EVERY time their is a jump ball does it mean that the defense did something impressive or worth reward. It could be just to guys goin after a loose ball.

To a boring basketball fan it would be.

Or a person who REALLY going for their team.

Not a spectator.

And it just makes the game to easy for teams that really arent that good.

So, again, I pose the question. As a spectator what would you rather see? A slow down game with the chance of a blowout or a game that is over before its begun? It'll be one or the other and either way it won't be that exciting for a random spectator.

Unless, of course, you're a fan of the better squad and you're REALLY going for your team /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />