High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

Not if the teams main scheme on defense is a two-three zone. Then the less talented team can just hold the ball.

Right but if the other team is so weak that their only recourse is to hold the ball then I would believe the stronger team can chance some pressure defense. If they can't then they really must not be that much better. I understand having a primary defensive/ offensive schemes but you need to be able to adjust that scheme to fit the situation. If all team can do is play a 2-3 zone all day they can't be that much better of a team than their " weaker" opponent. To come out of that zone would....................expose a weakness.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but if the other team is so weak that their only recourse is to hold the ball then I would believe the stronger team can chance some pressure defense. If they can't then they really must not be that much better. I understand having a primary defensive/ offensive schemes but you need to be able to adjust that scheme to fit the situation. If all team can do is play a 2-3 zone all day they can't be that much better of a team than their " weaker" opponent. To come out of that zone would....................expose a weakness.

Very true...VERY true.

I say no shot clock, but a rule could be put into place where the offense has to advance the ball within a certain amount of time. This would be like the 5 second rule, but make it 10 second call if they are just standing at 1/2 court. You could put in an extra set of lines like hockey has those blue line things. Once the team gets across 1/2 court they can only hold the ball for 10 seconds at a time in that area. Most Gyms have a volleyball line that would work fine for it. This would help against those teams that wont play against a Zone defense and will hold the ball until someone comes out to guard them.

I say jump it up. I hate the possession arrow. Who cares if 1 person is smaller, it makes it more exciting.

I say no shot clock,but a rule could be put into place where the offense has to advance the ball within a certain amount of time. This would be like the 5 second rule, but make it 10 second call if they are just standing at 1/2 court. You could put in an extra set of lines like hockey has those blue line things. Once the team gets across 1/2 court they can only hold the ball for 10 seconds at a time in that area. Most Gyms have a volleyball line that would work fine for it. This would help against those teams that wont play against a Zone defense and will hold the ball until someone comes out to guard them.

I say jump it up. I hate the possession arrow. Who cares if 1 person is smaller, it makes it more exciting.

It's the same basic principle.

Putting more on the officials isn't the best thing to do. These guys have enough to worry about.

Bottom line is the burden of the game is on the defense. If you cannot stop the other team from scoring you do not deserve to win the game. People complain so much about how unfair it is because it to come out of a zone would expose their own deficiencies. If a team should over the zone and you can't stop them should we begin discussion on a ban of long-range shots ?

Putting more on the officials isn't the best thing to do. These guys have enough to worry about.

Actually you always have that 3rd wheel on the officials crew that doesn't call anything, now he could have something to do. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> WONDER HOW EXCITING THERE BALL GAMES ARE

How boring are the ones here?

Really. I'm curious as to how many times you've seen a team just hold the ball this season. Just wondering

Actually you always have that 3rd wheel on the officials crew that doesn't call anything, now he could have something to do. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Now, now.....let's play nice

This year I have seen more teams hold the ball outside then ever. This is in large part to everybody and their brother running a variation of the Dribble Drive. So most teams will just play a 2-3 or 3-2 to cut down on the penetration. If you want a number, I would say around 6 games this year. In fact I watched a Region Tourney game last night where the team had a 6 point lead, and started holding the ball in the 3rd quarter. It was quite boring.

No not play to the other teams strengths and take a whoopin. Like I said it makes it to easy. Shot clock would show you who is better. And it doesnt even have to be a 40 second shot clock. Just SOMETHING that keeps the other team from holding the ball for 5 min. I seen it TOO many times.

Why does it have to be easy for one team? I'm a big believer that you do things to make it as hard for the other team. If that means slowing it down and working the ball around til you get the shot you want, then so be it.

If your looking for entertainment in basketball, go watch the NBA. It's all about the show.

The only team I've seen that has actually played the stall ball game (Holding it with 6+ to go in the fourth quarter) is Gleason girls. But that is just the way Coach Frazier plays all 4 quarters. He is thrilled if the score is in the low 30's. And he's only won 3 gold balls with it.

I've come to the conclusion that most people who don't like the stall ball game are for teams that have had the stall game done to them while they are down. If you win with the stall game, you are thrilled to death with it, if someone beats you with it, then lets change something so we don't get beat.