High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

This year I have seen more teams hold the ball outside then ever. This is in large part to everybody and their brother running a variation of the Dribble Drive. So most teams will just play a 2-3 or 3-2 to cut down on the penetration. If you want a number, I would say around 6 games this year. In fact I watched a Region Tourney game last night where the team had a 6 point lead, and started holding the ball in the 3rd quarter. It was quite boring.

Thanks. I really do appreciate the reply and the number did help. I mainly just wanted to have some idea

I'm aware of the current popularity of the dribble-drive motion offense. Yes, a zone of some kind is often times put in place in an attempt to stop it. It's in those cases you run a zone buster of some kind. Of course, if you can shoot over the zone consistently then there really is no real way to stop a DDM but I doubt there many teams that are so good they are able to do that. So, you attack the gaps in the zone until it a shot opens up....It could be a runner in the lane, a shot on the wing, a cut to the back door....etc

If a coach is holding the ball with a lead ( especially a slim lead like 6 pts ) that says to me he doesn't believe his/her team can keep up the pace and hold the lead. So, they're scared. Go get them!!!!

If the team in the zone won't come out and guard because they know they'll get whipped on the penetration then, I'm sorry, you need to work on more than just a 2-3 or 3-2 zone defense.

If all the above are true in the same game then both teams involved need to leave the gym and let some real teams play

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven

California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Washington, and Rhode Island. Washington and Maryland only use it for girl's ball.

For god sake's if North Dakota can have a shot clock EVERY state should be able too.

LOL /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Why does it have to be easy for one team? I'm a big believer that you do things to make it as hard for the other team. If that means slowing it down and working the ball around til you get the shot you want, then so be it.

If your looking for entertainment in basketball, go watch the NBA. It's all about the show.

But thats the thing. THERE NOT trying to work the ball around for a good shot(not trying to start a fight) they're just holding it.

PERFECT example for this(it wasnt in TN tho) is that there was a 4-2 championship game in New Hampshire one year. Yea i know its New Hampshire but NO ONE is that unskilled, especially in a state championship game.

Thanks. I really do appreciate the reply and the number did help. I mainly just wanted to have some idea

I'm aware of the current popularity of the dribble-drive motion offense. Yes, a zone of some kind is often times put in place in an attempt to stop it. It's in those cases you run a zone buster of some kind. Of course, if you can shoot over the zone consistently then there really is no real way to stop a DDM but I doubt there many teams that are so good they are able to do that. So, you attack the gaps in the zone until it a shot opens up....It could be a runner in the lane, a shot on the wing, a cut to the back door....etc

If a coach is holding the ball with a lead ( especially a slim lead like 6 pts ) that says to me he doesn't believe his/her team can keep up the pace and hold the lead. So, they're scared. Go get them!!!!

If the team in the zone won't come out and guard because they know they'll get whipped on the penetration then, I'm sorry, you need to work on more than just a 2-3 or 3-2 zone defense.

If all the above are true in the same game then both teams involved need to leave the gym and let some real teams play

But all in all it doesnt matter to me whether there is a shot clock or not. Just SOMETHING that prohibits teams from holding the ball for 3-5 min.( and the number for me would be 4, 2 times in the postseason) or just something that makes it REALLY hard for them to hold it that long. Cause I guess if they work there butts off to hold the ball for that long then they should be rewarded.

But all in all it doesnt matter to me whether there is a shot clock or not. Just SOMETHING that prohibits teams from holding the ball for 3-5 min.( and the number for me would be 4, 2 times in the postseason) or just something that makes it REALLY hard for them to hold it that long. Cause I guess if they work there butts off to hold the ball for that long then they should be rewarded.

Agreed and that solution is play defense. If they're holding the ball then it stands to reason they don't believe they can beat you any other way. Either they won't be able to handle you're pressure or you won't be able to stop their penetration.

The better team will emerge.

You obviously don't go watch a lot of basketball if you think it "never works". Does it come back and bite teams in the butt, yes. But that is with the poor ball handling teams, like you said. But there are plenty of teams that can handle the ball. I have gone into a continuity "lay up" only offense a handful of times when I was up late. Haven't lost one of yet. (knock on wood)

"Boring" basketball is often time smart basketball. If I have 5 unathletic, slow, short kids, I don't need to run and gun. The smart thing to would be to slow it down.

And your last statment just makes me laugh. "It makes it easy for teams that aren't that good" So I guess if you are outmaned you should play to the other teams strengths and just take the whooping?

Scrapman, If it is about teaching the kids life lessons, wouldn't it be that life isn't always "fair."

Bulldog, how many high school players are going to go to college and play? Not sure what the exact number but you would be benefitting the 3-8% of kids who are going to. AAU uses a shot clock, I believe. Use that to get ready because the majority of those players are going to go or really trying to go to college to play ball.

Jvaughn first I coach, go to NBA games, college games, NCAA tournaments, two or so high school games a week so I have seen it first hand more than once in my lifetime. Secondly in my playing days I saw it work against my school on a first hand basis and we used it and it didnt work. I truly understand when you up by 4 or 5 points you dont go down the court and jack up 3's...you're against it and I'm for it. Also from your earlier post I do enjoy winning and believe me I've won more games running and attacking than holding the ball stalling.....

Jvaughn first I coach, go to NBA games, college games, NCAA tournaments, two or so high school games a week so I have seen it first hand more than once in my lifetime. Secondly in my playing days I saw it work against my school on a first hand basis and we used it and it didnt work. I truly understand when you up by 4 or 5 points you dont go down the court and jack up 3's...you're against it and I'm for it. Also from your earlier post I do enjoy winning and believe me I've won more games running and attacking than holding the ball stalling.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you..........................................................

Sometimes it's important for folks to remember that being deliberate on offense does not equal stalling the ball. And maybe on that note I haven't been clear. I'm not in favor of stalling the ball. It's just that the solution is already there.

Only situation I have ever ran a stall technique (playing or coaching) was up by a few late just trying to take possesions away from the other team. Never used a slow it down and take huge chunks of clock as a primary offense. If a team is just sitting at half court with one kid dribbling, like pantherbert said, go get him. If their just passing it around and not shooting, take it from them some how. I personally don't believe in it either but if stalling/keeping the ball from the other team the whole game it gives you the best chance to win the game, by all means do it. Of course I am all about the W.......

Like I said earlier, Gleason girls have won 3 gold balls running continuity offenses, taking 2-3 mins per possesion, averaging 35-40 pts a game. And in atleast 2 of those years they had a Ms. Basketball so it wasn't like they were a bunch of scrubs that couldn't score. I know it's girls and this is a boys board, but still......

Southeast, if they are passing the ball around, then use some defensive pressure and take it from them, whether they are looking for a shot or not. And I know you aren't trying to start anything, I appreicate all good basketball discussion. This thread I think has been much better than the one on the girls thread.

How boring are the ones here?

Really. I'm curious as to how many times you've seen a team just hold the ball this season. Just wondering

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

ive seen it alot more than people think.

Im not saying games here are boring but when you hold the ball for 3 min then it gets boring

I view stalling as kind of a double edged sword in my opinion of it. On one hand it takes away from the excitement of the game and lead to lower scores and lower points by some good players. But on the other, my honest opinion is, if the opposing team's coach doesn't have his defense guard against it, then he nor the fans have anything to whine about because it isn't the offense's fault that the defense refuses to guard them. The last time I checked the game was about the TEAM, not Mommy and Daddy's "all star" getting his average and it definatley isnt about pleasing every fan. If that was the case, then there would be no reason to even play the games because it is impossible for both teams to win. Although I can remember in T-ball it seemed like this happened because no matter who won we all got pizza at the end, lol /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I view stalling as kind of a double edged sword in my opinion of it. On one hand it takes away from the excitement of the game and lead to lower scores and lower points by some good players. But on the other, my honest opinion is, if the opposing team's coach doesn't have his defense guard against it, then he nor the fans have anything to whine about because it isn't the offense's fault that the defense refuses to guard them. The last time I checked the game was about the TEAM, not Mommy and Daddy's "all star" getting his average and it definatley isnt about pleasing every fan. If that was the case, then there would be no reason to even play the games because it is impossible for both teams to win. Although I can remember in T-ball it seemed like this happened because no matter who won we all got pizza at the end, lol /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I think we need one in the state game. because you dont have unskilled players there