High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

I think we need one in the state game. because you dont have unskilled players there

The only problem with having a shot clock just for the state tournament would be that it would change the complexion of the game in a way that would give an advantage to teams that continuously push the ball. If this is done, a more traditional set based offensive team would be at a tremendous disadvantage because it would force them to stray away from the game plan that got them to state in the first place. Granted its usually the high flying, fast paced teams that win state anyway, but adding a shot clock would just add to the disadvantage for teams that play at a slower pace.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the argument that it gets them ready for the next level is no valid. How many possessions actually would be affected by a shot clock. Some teams might have a problem, ball management is a huge portion of the game and is strategery ( as our last president says it) that allows some teams to play with others. not no but heck no...

If you added one in the state tournament then that would put you at playing 25-30 games without one and then all of sudden having to change up what you do and adapt to a different style of play. To me that would lead to a lot of ugly basketball.

yea some cream puff teams like humbolt couldnt handle it

Yea but some coaches just dont know what to do about stall ball(or are ignorant) cause I was at a USN vs. SAS game in the Regions for DII-A and SAS was down by 5 in the 3rd quarter,they were playing the 2-3, and USN had the ball but yet the coach told them to stay in the 2-3. And they lost by like 10 after USN scored with 1 min. left in the quarter and SAS couldnt score. I asked the players wat was up and they said "if they wasnt gunna play offense we werent gunna guard em"...WAT!!?? I guess he was trying to prove a point??? Or maybe its just horrible coaching.

yea some cream puff teams like humbolt couldnt handle it

Keep it up...If you're mediocre team even makes it out of region, then you might have a little room to talk...Humboldt might have a weak schedule, but to think that they are a cupcake is a big mistake...

We run and gun over here...The shot clock wouldn't change a thing...Actually it would be to Humboldt's advantage because then teams that can't keep up like the Hampton Bulldogs for example wouldn't be able to just hold the ball and try to keep it close...

I'm starting to wonder if you're a freshmen on the cheerleading squad...that's about the only way I could understand your comments.. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Keep it up...If you're mediocre team even makes it out of region, then you might have a little room to talk...Humboldt might have a weak schedule, but to think that they are a cupcake is a big mistake...

We run and gun over here...The shot clock wouldn't change a thing...Actually it would be to Humboldt's advantage because then teams that can't keep up like the Hampton Bulldogs for example wouldn't be able to just hold the ball and try to keep it close...

I'm starting to wonder if you're a freshmen on the cheerleading squad...that's about the only way I could understand your comments.. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

red16, dont worry about Manassas!!! lol!! looks like you need to worry about Hampton!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

red16, dont worry about Manassas!!! lol!! looks like you need to worry about Hampton!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You know Legend, I thought that you were crazy but this guy (or girl) takes the cake /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yea but some coaches just dont know what to do about stall ball(or are ignorant) cause I was at a USN vs. SAS game in the Regions for DII-A and SAS was down by 5 in the 3rd quarter,they were playing the 2-3, and USN had the ball but yet the coach told them to stay in the 2-3. And they lost by like 10 after USN scored with 1 min. left in the quarter and SAS couldnt score. I asked the players wat was up and they said "if they wasnt gunna play offense we werent gunna guard em"...WAT!!?? I guess he was trying to prove a point??? Or maybe its just horrible coaching.

I just don't get that. They could at the very least attempt a match-up 2-3 ( or attack 1-3-1)

While we're at the task of changing rules we should change the foul limit from 5 to 6 in order to prepare players for the NBA

If you added one in the state tournament then that would put you at playing 25-30 games without one and then all of sudden having to change up what you do and adapt to a different style of play. To me that would lead to a lot of ugly basketball.

Exactly, putting a shot clock in for just the State tournament would just take away more from the enjoyment of the game for fans than not having one. Some teams aren't equipped personel wise to push the ball every possession, some teams have to play a slower pace so that they have semi decent legs at the end of the game. So to say that adding a shot clock for the state tournament is a good idea is a real stretch. It would pretty much be punishing the teams that earned their spots in the tournament by playing slower paced offenses.