LaVergne upsets Wilson Central

sportsjunkie

any details on the game?

I saw LaVergne play Wilson Central last week in the district semis and I thought LaVergne gave that game away.

Just a thought here.... BUT do you think its fair to have to perhaps beat the same team as many as 3 times in the tournaments to win a State Championship?

I know its happened a couple of times. Most recently last year Jackson County beat Clarkrange to win the Class A Championship.

Several years ago Jackson County had beaten Livingston 3 of 4 times only to lose the Class AA State Championship game.

Its my opinion that only the TOP 2 teams should advance out of the districts and I believe only the Champion of the Region should advance and eliminate the Sub-State (Sectionals) and just take the 8 Region Champions to the State Tournament.

The Tennessean has an article online if you would like details to the game....

I think the main detail of this game is LaVergne's post stepped up and did an awesome job defending Jasmine and rebounding. The girls also played with alot of heart and determination the entire 32 minutes of the ball game and decided NOT to give Wilson Central the game like they did the other three times they played them...

It's unfortunate and I hate to see the Seniors at Wilson Central end their Sr year like this and I'm glad I'm not one of the parents as I know the feeling from last year when we were ousted in the district quarterfinal against Beech. It's really hard to see your child upset after a tough loss...

I will say this LaVergne's girls have worked hard & humbled themselves in order to get this far this year, so congrats are in order vs. trying to find something now wrong with the playoff system..

What better way for LaVergne & Smyrna both to leave 9AAA by playing for the regional championship against each other.....now that's what I call a new beginning...

Let's go "Lady Rines and Bulldogs!!!

It was a great game for the first 3 quarters, 2 - 9AAA heavyweights battling it out, for the 4th TIME, up and down the court as a Region tournament game should be. I'll try my best to forget the last quarter of stall-ball, no-call, basketball however. But you also have to hit free throws to win. Good Luck to LaVergne and Smyna. Try to keep the Gold Ball in the Mid State!

Congrats to the defending State Champs on a great season! Congrats to the seniors Hassell, McGee, Christopher and Wasson for a great career at Wilson Central. We'll miss each of you and your unique contributions you brought to the team and to the game of basketball. There are too many accolades you saw while at WC, to mention at this time. You girls represented your school with class on and off the court. Look forward to watching you play at the next level. Looking forward to Wilson Central basketball in the future. There are a fine group of girls waiting to carry the torch next year /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />