UTC wrestlers.....

sly

FYI from Chattanooga Free Press

UTC wrestlers Mays, Weltzin hospitalized

By Sam Woolwine Executive Sports Editor

Two University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestlers who participated in a three-mile run Monday remain hospitalized after suffering from dehydration.

Ryan Mays, a senior from Claremore, Okla., was taken Monday afternoon to Erlanger Medical Center, and Shawn We ltzin, a senior from Pelham, Ala., was taken to Parkridge Medical Center.

Mays collapsed on the lawn of McKenzie Arena and was taken to Erlanger by ambulance. Weltzin was taken to Parkridge by a member of UTC athletic trainer Jeff Allen's staff.

We ltzin was the first to show signs of dehydration. Wrestling coach Terry Brand recognized symptoms and immediately took him to the school's training room located in the arena.

"Both of them are OK, but both will spend another night in the hospital for observation," Allen said. "This is nothing out of the ordinary, other than we have two."

Allen praised Brand's quick reaction to Weltzin's problem.

"Terry did the right thing, getting him to us as quickly as he did," Allen said.

Brand said two wrestlers being dehydrated at the same time was not unusual.

"I was scared when I saw Shawn," Brand said. "I've seen three, four, five kids get dehydrated before at weigh-ins. We take conditioning seriously."

Allen spoke to the wrestling team Tuesday afternoon.

"They had a little break over the weekend (Friday through Sunday), so I'm sure some of the guys weren't watching themselves closely," Allen said. "The problem is you don't realize you're not drinking enough water until you get in trouble. Then it's too late."

Thanks, Sly. Wasn't aware of this. To update though...

http://class.timesfreepress.com/ShowStoryT...&Section=Sports

As reported in the Chattanooga-Times Free Press:

Around the Region Two UTC wrestlers released from hospital

Staff Reports

The two University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestlers who were hospitalized for two days because of dehydration were released Wednesday. Ryan Mays was released from Erlanger and Shawn Weltzin from Parkridge. "They were both feeling much better and should return to class (Thursday)," trainer Jeff Allen said. Allen said they would not return to practice until cleared by team doctor Bill Moore Smith, who will meet with Mays and Weltzin Tuesday.

This story was published Thursday, September 05, 2002.