Really a great showing the newbies

Impact

31st 18 open

not sure how the Impact 17's or 18-2's did

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No excuses but 182 had only 5 players this weekend and brought 3 up from other teams. Many played out of position and, as expected, didn't do as well as they might have. Played best on Sunday (when I really just wanted to go home) /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Looking forward to Big South but as we only have 6 on the team now it's difficult to compete with random players every weekend.

It's pretty disheartening when you start out with a decent team only to find out that half the players are quitters. Those that remain (including the coaches) are put in the unenviable position of having made a commitment and making the best of it.

All that being said, it's been fun meeting and playing with a good group of girls and the coaches have worked very hard with them. No regrets.

No excuses but 182 had only 5 players this weekend and brought 3 up from other teams. Many played out of position and, as expected, didn't do as well as they might have. Played best on Sunday (when I really just wanted to go home) /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Looking forward to Big South but as we only have 6 on the team now it's difficult to compete with random players every weekend.

It's pretty disheartening when you start out with a decent team only to find out that half the players are quitters. Those that remain (including the coaches) are put in the unenviable position of having made a commitment and making the best of it.

All that being said, it's been fun meeting and playing with a good group of girls and the coaches have worked very hard with them. No regrets.

P4k, thats a good point you are making and you are coming thru loud and clear. Circumstances make your delima, after a point, critical. Not really fair to other players or trhe coaches and expensive to. One good thing though, makes to look for all around players if they are available and that at least gives some experience at all positions. P4k, you are a trooper and maybe you can pick up some other players. And best of luck to you next Weekend jaunt ,the BIG SOUTH and tell us how you do. The perils of a Club VB Mom.

Quitters? Rather hash words to use on young ladies. Take the politics out of the game and maybe the team would have been decent. 18-2's only had 1 defensive person and she was smart enough to figure out that she would not benefit playing on this team - complete waste of money. The coach made his bed when he started playing girls out of position; that created controversy from the beginning. When you have a player move up from another age bracket because she told the club director that she didn't want to play that specific position, she wants to play another position (completely opposite of what they have played in the past). At that point, it should have been corrected to take the spot you were given or don't play. Instead - the decision on the front end broke the entire spirt of the team.

As you made excuses and bashed the girls for leaving the team; I cannot speak for them, but I will say my daughter is not a quitter - she chose to use her time more effectively that will benefit her next year in college. I will emphasis - it is sad to see parents play the polical card for their kid to play. If parents would leave coaches and the kids alone, it would be a completely different game. I am so over that childish play.

Quitters? Rather hash words to use on young ladies. Take the politics out of the game and maybe the team would have been decent. 18-2's only had 1 defensive person and she was smart enough to figure out that she would not benefit playing on this team - complete waste of money. The coach made his bed when he started playing girls out of position; that created controversy from the beginning. When you have a player move up from another age bracket because she told the club director that she didn't want to play that specific position, she wants to play another position (completely opposite of what they have played in the past). At that point, it should have been corrected to take the spot you were given or don't play. Instead - the decision on the front end broke the entire spirt of the team.

As you made excuses and bashed the girls for leaving the team; I cannot speak for them, but I will say my daughter is not a quitter - she chose to use her time more effectively that will benefit her next year in college. I will emphasis - it is sad to see parents play the polical card for their kid to play. If parents would leave coaches and the kids alone, it would be a completely different game. I am so over that childish play.

I want P4K to answer this but can understand the misunderstanding I think. 18's is the difference. Club, i thought was to work on your game and likely be an all around player. If the coaching is there to do it, its provided.

While an 18 may have selected a position whats wrong with allowing others to work on other positions. I think I can

understand the misunderstanding iand it was in the beginning but thats why if the understanding is one way and is not followed thru, you can expect players to quit. P4K's position might be she was not in on the front end where the agreement was made but as you might guess she is on the back end where the parents, the coaches and some of the players are traveling without a full team and thats expensive. But the director did add three players to the team.

But the kicker is the post before when 18-2 didn't do as well in their tournament as they wanted and you'e heard the reason.

With all deference, and I may be in the minority, players who just think of themselves as front row or back row

are putting a lot of pressure on the other part of the team and likely are Not complete players. They are just players that take up space in a position and if they are off, might just as well be on the bench. For value to a volleyball team, learning all way around is valuable. Irregardless volleyball is a team game and for some reason, players sometimes try to stereotype their skills and not step up or not can step up if needed. If this is the way Volleyball works it's not a team game and the only sport thats that way. It's team, flexible, and if you don't want to do it, don't play it. Learn as much about all positions that you can. Just don't relegate a teammate just because she's great at the position to that position only. She may need some experience in other positions. Travel teams are not easy for many reasons but players who relegate themselves to one position and try nothing else Are likely cutting down their play time and likely having to travel not to have as much. Thats boring.

I want P4K to answer this but can understand the misunderstanding I think. 18's is the difference. Club, i thought was to work on your game and likely be an all around player. If the coaching is there to do it, its provided.

While an 18 may have selected a position whats wrong with allowing others to work on other positions. I think I can

understand the misunderstanding iand it was in the beginning but thats why if the understanding is one way and is not followed thru, you can expect players to quit. P4K's position might be she was not in on the front end where the agreement was made but as you might guess she is on the back end where the parents, the coaches and some of the players are traveling without a full team and thats expensive. But the director did add three players to the team.

But the kicker is the post before when 18-2 didn't do as well in their tournament as they wanted and you'e heard the reason.

With all deference, and I may be in the minority, players who just think of themselves as front row or back row

are putting a lot of pressure on the other part of the team and likely are Not complete players. They are just players that take up space in a position and if they are off, might just as well be on the bench. For value to a volleyball team, learning all way around is valuable. Irregardless volleyball is a team game and for some reason, players sometimes try to stereotype their skills and not step up or not can step up if needed. If this is the way Volleyball works it's not a team game and the only sport thats that way. It's team, flexible, and if you don't want to do it, don't play it. Learn as much about all positions that you can. Just don't relegate a teammate just because she's great at the position to that position only. She may need some experience in other positions. Travel teams are not easy for many reasons but players who relegate themselves to one position and try nothing else Are likely cutting down their play time and likely having to travel not to have as much. Thats boring.

Obviously you don't have a clue about the game and know absolutely nothing about this post. Has it ever crossed your mind to mind your own business and not speak for others instead of babbling. Talk about boring!

Obviously you don't have a clue about the game and know absolutely nothing about this post. Has it ever crossed your mind to mind your own business and not speak for others instead of babbling. Talk about boring!

Challenger1, yes I know about the game and know who you are and was talking about the game ,in general, in the last paragraph and it is relative. I see your point and there is no winner in this but P4k has a point too

and while may have had a bad choice of words. the principal is right. 18-2 is not the same. If you don't want someone to comment, keep it off of this site and assuming others don't know what's going on. Sounds to me its over with and not worth hashing out, especially on here. Her frustration is with the situation, not you.. Hope your player plays in college. She should.

When you have a player move up from another age bracket because she told the club director that she didn't want to play that specific position, she wants to play another position (completely opposite of what they have played in the past).

The player you refer to has ALWAYS played defense in club but was offered a alternate position (setter) on a different team. THAT was the reason she was moved to 182. She didn't want to play out of position as she is hoping to play defense in college. I know you understand that it is important to play your "natural" position when being recruited. Your daughter was not the only defensive player on the team. All the club teams we've played on have 2 defensive players-- one libero, one DS. Just like having 3 middles, 4 hitters and a setter. Some of those players play multiple positions, some don't.

Now if you look at some of the other teams, there were girls who wanted to try other positions and made those desires known. Some were accommodated, some were not. The DS on the 181 was a hitter and is now playing defense. They also have a Libero. Their right side is also a setter. One of their middles moved to outside. It happens on all teams.

And the word quitter is used when someone joins a team and then decides not to play any more. Not a slam, just what it is. If you have a job and decide to leave what do you do? Quit. That's all I'm saying. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings and really didn't want to be harsh. However, when you start with 10 girls, lose 1, then 2, then 3, add one and then lose 2, it gets to be a bit like a revolving door.

I respect that the girls have other priorities, especially in their senior year and however they choose to use their time--it is important to use it wisely, especially when it comes down to studies and college. My point was simply that it left those behind in a bad position and we wish our team had stayed together as the girls really did like each other (and I thought the parents got along pretty well too but I could be wrong there).

I wish you all the best, truly.

By 18 players should not be "learning" different positions. That should have been done way before 18. Club ball at that age is all about getting noticed by some recruiter. You wouldn't take some 6'3" middle and make her a DS at that age. If someone has played a position for years, and all of a sudden they need her to play some position she's never played before, or very little, that's not fair to her. Her parents paid the same as everyone else and I'm sure they're as frustrated as anyone. If a boy played summer AAU b-ball for 6-7 years as a point guard, and at 18 his coach tells him he has to play center,just when recruiters start paying attention, that would be ridiculous. With the money it costs to play club, parents should have some say in the matter.

VB71 hit it on the head - at 18 if you plan on plaing in college, you are pretty much set at the position you have dedicated your entire high school career playing at. A lot of time, effort and money has been consumed in marketing her to the next level. It was a complete slam as she had college coaches visiting her during tournaments and she had to sit back so another player could learn that position. It was an difficult decision she made, many tears where shead over her final decision. As parents, this was just as painful - this was our last opportunity see her play, as we will not be able to watch her in college.

Mr. Hargis - thank you for the compliment, she has received numerous offers and should announce her decision soon.

I will finish by saying this - a quitter is someone who does not have a conscience about the consequences; however, a person who leaves on principle - loves the game, but the core management or conduct is not being adhered to

VB71 hit it on the head - at 18 if you plan on plaing in college, you are pretty much set at the position you have dedicated your entire high school career playing at. A lot of time, effort and money has been consumed in marketing her to the next level. It was a complete slam as she had college coaches visiting her during tournaments and she had to sit back so another player could learn that position. It was an difficult decision she made, many tears where shead over her final decision. As parents, this was just as painful - this was our last opportunity see her play, as we will not be able to watch her in college.

Mr. Hargis - thank you for the compliment, she has received numerous offers and should announce her decision soon.

I will finish by saying this - a quitter is someone who does not have a conscience about the consequences; however, a person who leaves on principle - loves the game, but the core management or conduct is not being adhered to

Please let this site know when she announces. It willll be a pleasure to know and All iof her past teammates will be pleased to know. Hope the signing is at School.