Private Schools Dominate Girls' Tourney

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge, there are no issues there and shouldn't be. A, AA, and AAA took care of that by size of schools. Now we're back to football, where this all started. And very quickly I say, it allright. And for an average of 12 D1 prospects, so recruiters say, a year that come out of this state in the sport but a sport with great ipopularity. The rest of the sports student/athletes play take care of themselves and could be combined. Unbelieveable. The market will rule, west, it usually does.

The rest of the sports cannot be combined unless it is agreed that financial aid can be offered to every student that qualifies. What part of that don't you understand? Would you combine all sports under the current rules if you had the power and ignore the plight of the less fortunate who need help to attend a private school. If your answer is yes, sir you are putting way too much emphasis on sports. There are more important things in the educational system. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

PS I have another question. What market are you referring to?

"Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of need, but proof of such need must be filed in the TSSAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all schools shall use the School and Student Scholastic Service for Financial Aid (SSS) of Princeton, New Jersey, FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment (FACTS), or Financial Aid For School Tuition (FAST). A committee consisting of School Heads from Division II schools and one ex-officio, non-voting member from the Board of Control will meet and make recommendations to the Board of Control on each student submitted. The Board of Control will then rule on all cases at the August meeting. The Board of Control shall have authority to reject the basis for need for students when in its opinion, or the opinion of the school committee, . . . "

I don't have a dog in the hunt but I think this is a bad piece of legislation.

First of all, every form must be submitted to the TSSAA Executive Director. Secondly, a committee is going to review every case and make recommendations. Next, the Board of Control will rule on all cases. And lastly, the BOC has the authority the overrule the committee. Remember the Board of Control members all come from D1 schools.

Think about this process. Stevie Wonder could see that this is horrible. Every D2 student athlete receiving financial aid will have their records reviewed by a committee and the BOC. Is that really a good idea? You decide if you would want that if this were your child.

All the parts you're complaining about are already in place. The only change is that each school may now choose to use one of three competing services instead of SSS having a privileged rank.

I checked the TSSAA handbook and you are correct - Article II, Section 16. So, this makes it a bad bylaw that has been on the books before yesterday. It is still bad legislation.

JMHO /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I checked the TSSAA handbook and you are correct - Article II, Section 16. So, this makes it a bad bylaw that has been on the books before yesterday. It is still bad legislation.

JMHO /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Fair enough. (That said, I suspect they don't look at them in a great deal of detail--although assigning code numbers during most of the review process so as to protect identities when they don't need to be known would, imo, be a step forward.)

There aren't any private schools in the girls' state tourney are there? There are a few magnet schools. Hmmmmm?

Privates and magnets are all the same to me when it comes to sports. If there is a private or a magnet that you want to attend wether you just like that school or if an "Alumni" talked you into attending thats were you go.

Why did you pick the ONE sport privates arent dominating and try to be smart alleck. Look at 1A boys , baseball , 1-3a football , Privates have more representatives going deeper in the playoffs in all of these sports yet they are outnumbered nearly 10-1 ...............sounds fishy to me. Even when we stick them with that "unfair" multiplier they still beat up on small publics.

Whichever one of you morons it was that said privates have fewer resources and worse equipment and training fascilities than public schools ........you don't get out and see the public schools that the privates are actually playing. Privates dont play the Oak ridges , Maryvilles , and other large publics with nice fascilities , they beat up on small 1a and 2a schools that barely have a field or gym to play in. Every private I've seen with a sports program has better fascilities than the VAST majority of small publics(the teams privates play against)