Commando Classic

yep

ERA, I hadn't thought of the coaching thing but your right, coaches are a tight nit group, along with athletic directors. It only takes a small circle of friends to snuff things like this with the TSSAA. It's too bad because it should happen. The weather is not only a factor in playing conditions but is a detractor to the sport itself. Many girls simply don't play after a season or two because they're sick of the practices and games in the cold.

I wouldn't have went the redneck route but I would say the good ol' boy network is alive and well.

Again, years ago, the decision making processes made by that organization were very suspect. When it comes to them, I have no sympathy at all. If you had gone through the things that I have, you probably would have gone postal. But as for the coaches that coach dual sports, you have to take another look at it. Many, many schools don't take this sport seriously enough for what it deserves, but, you cannot argue the fact that the dual sport coaches typically take this game as serious as it should be. Girls that have those coaches are typically in small towns and are fortunate. Otherwise, the school system would typically assign someone that has no business coaching a ten and under league team. This is reason enough to leave it alone. Dual sport coaches are an asset. They are motivated by competition. Most certainly not the money. But every bit helps.

So, don't think they have anything to do with the decision process because they don't. There aren't that many of them and they have their hands full enough dealing with all these loose ends of keeping kids motivated while teaching them good moral and work ethic values. Every school that has a dual coach better count their blessings and thank God for giving them a coach that has sound competitive experience. After all, it boils down to motivation and who better has more experience then them?

As for changing the season and whose responsible, we all know who is really responsible. In that manner, my whole point of my original post was to show it is totally pointless to attempt to change what you cannot change. You're wasting your time and you are putting heat on yourself that will eventually come back to haunt you. Everyone here knows who I am and I have been open with my identity from the beginning, years and years ago. Don't for one minute think that anyone can hide behind a screen name. Eventually, you will answer to your critics. Take my advice and enjoy what you have and let the expendable weak minded fight this battle. Eventually, it will go completely away while you still have your dignity.

As for the redneck comment.... that was tongue in cheek if you read the whole post... including the PS.... lol.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, years ago, the decision making processes made by that organization were very suspect. When it comes to them, I have no sympathy at all. If you had gone through the things that I have, you probably would have gone postal. But as for the coaches that coach dual sports, you have to take another look at it. Many, many schools don't take this sport seriously enough for what it deserves, but, you cannot argue the fact that the dual sport coaches typically take this game as serious as it should be. Girls that have those coaches are typically in small towns and are fortunate. Otherwise, the school system would typically assign someone that has no business coaching a ten and under league team. This is reason enough to leave it alone. Dual sport coaches are an asset. They are motivated by competition. Most certainly not the money. But every bit helps.

So, don't think they have anything to do with the decision process because they don't. There aren't that many of them and they have their hands full enough dealing with all these loose ends of keeping kids motivated while teaching them good moral and work ethic values. Every school that has a dual coach better count their blessings and thank God for giving them a coach that has sound competitive experience. After all, it boils down to motivation and who better has more experience then them?

As for changing the season and whose responsible, we all know who is really responsible. In that manner, my whole point of my original post was to show it is totally pointless to attempt to change what you cannot change. You're wasting your time and you are putting heat on yourself that will eventually come back to haunt you. Everyone here knows who I am and I have been open with my identity from the beginning, years and years ago. Don't for one minute think that anyone can hide behind a screen name. Eventually, you will answer to your critics. Take my advice and enjoy what you have and let the expendable weak minded fight this battle. Eventually, it will go completely away while you still have your dignity.

As for the redneck comment.... that was tongue in cheek if you read the whole post... including the PS.... lol.

This series of posts has been one of the most entertaining this year. Sorda reminds me of the "metal cleat" posts from last year. Coming off of two of the driest consecutive years in Tennessee history and hardly having a winter we decide to move the most popular spring sport for female athletes to the fall. It's laughable! Why aren't we trying to get TSSAA to really protect our athletes with mandates for more protective gear for infielders and mandantory double first bases. A better effort to kick TSSAA out of our childrens personal lifes (i.e. 50% rule).

This series of posts has been one of the most entertaining this year. Sorda reminds me of the "metal cleat" posts from last year. Coming off of two of the driest consecutive years in Tennessee history and hardly having a winter we decide to move the most popular spring sport for female athletes to the fall. It's laughable! Why aren't we trying to get TSSAA to really protect our athletes with mandates for more protective gear for infielders and mandantory double first bases. A better effort to kick TSSAA out of our childrens personal lifes (i.e. 50% rule).

Hold on there... The 50% rule is the only thing thats saving alot of the young ladies from being stuck with their HS coach all year... They should have inacted it for Summer and not fall. We lost one of our best players last year because her HS coach "demanded" that she play summerball with her. Well, that & she really wanted to play for her HS insted of telling the coach where to stick her summer team.

Hold on there... The 50% rule is the only thing thats saving alot of the young ladies from being stuck with their HS coach all year... They should have inacted it for Summer and not fall. We lost one of our best players last year because her HS coach "demanded" that she play summerball with her. Well, that & she really wanted to play for her HS insted of telling the coach where to stick her summer team.

I could agree with the fact that "most" high school coaches should only be coaching during the high school season. In fact I would say that a high percentage of high school coaches shouldn't be coaching at all as a lot of times all they do is hurt the ability of talented players with inexperienced coaching just coaching for a check. I don't want a softball coach teaching my child calculus why would I want a calculus teacher coaching her softball team. Thats another story!!!! If TSSAA was interested in the athlete and not the school they would restrict high school coaches to the TSSAA season not players being restricted from playing outside the TSSAA season. Whose rights are being violated? The problem I see with the 50% rule is the amount of players affected that do not get the chance to participate in fall ball. Our high school is perfect example of how this rule hurts the athlete. During summer tryouts for fall ball we had 23 girls, including incoming freshman, trying out for the local travel team. Our county has one high school and due to the 50% rule and the unavailability of athletes from other schools in bordering counties only five of the girls were able to participate. That means 18 girls not on any TSSAA roster wanting to play fall ball had to sit at home while other girls were getting better and doing the sport that they love. Why is fall ball important? First is the individual rights of the athletes that are being violated. Their freedom of choice is being taken away from them so that they can participate in a high school sport (every athletes dream while growing up). Second, college coaches downtime is during the fall, how many college coaches do you really see at high school events in the spring? Our high school girls were prevented from going to college exsposure tournaments this fall due to this rule. Who does this hurt? The athlete. If you go to most of the college exsposure tournaments now they are filled with teams from other states. What this means is that Tennessee colleges are not seeing our athletes, but those from other states. In responce to your comment, any high school coach "threatening" their athletes for not playing with them in the summer should flogged and fired. Here again this is violation of these kids rights. How can anyone demand anything of these athletes when they are not on a TSSAA roster during a TSSAA season. Sounds a little like a dictatorship to me. When did our great state become so far from the statutes that our country was founded on. Do I sound crazy, overzealous, or just jumping up on a soap box? Maybe, but I say it is about time we as parents, coaches, and those that really love this sport stand up for our girls. IF WE DON'T WHO WILL? And like Forest Gump "that's all I have to say about that".

Well said!!!

you don'have to play daddy ball to be noticed by schools . if you have a guality high school program you will be seen weather it inthe summer or spring . most of the summer ball cosches leave when thier daughter becomes to old to -play travel ball. most of travel ball coaching is a ego thing anyway

you don'have to play daddy ball to be noticed by schools . if you have a guality high school program you will be seen weather it inthe summer or spring . most of the summer ball cosches leave when thier daughter becomes to old to -play travel ball. most of travel ball coaching is a ego thing anyway

You are living a life of denial (probably a high school coach). Many travel ball teams are coached by "daddys", but guess what those years they spent on the diamond they didn't earn a dime, they were there for the kids and most spent the time learning how to coach individuals not for profits. True most fall by the way when their kids move on, but the truely successful teams are borne from those "daddys" who stuck around. I could name a page full of dads who hung around and put their time and hard earned cash on the line long after their girls were gone and didn't need monetary incentives to coach. Am I saying high school coaches shouldn't be payed? No. I am saying they should be qualified. Step your precious lttle high school team out into the real world of ASA travel ball and see who's your Daddy now!!!!!!!! There are 14 under travel ball teams out there that would hand almost any high school team their respective hynnies. I have been in the fastpitch softball circles for around 25 years and to my knowledge have seen about one college coach a year at high school events. Last years Murfeesborough exsposure tournament had 32 colleges represented and 28 teams. hows that for your coach to player ratio. Further more, some of the best athletes come from the less known high schools, why should they have to have a "quality program" to get noticed. Example, Sarah Feccutti, walked on at UT didn't get any money until her junior year and led the nation in D1 schools in batting average her junior and senior year. How many girls out there are not as fortunate to get that break she got her freshman year when she was getting no attention from any other school. TSSAA needs to stay out of the athletes lifes when they are not playing during a TSSAA season!!!!!!!!!!

You cant be serious. If you actually think any player is going to play at he next level only playing for her High School team you need to call any collage coach & talk to them. They will tell you themselves that they do not attend HS games. On the rare occasion when or if they do, 9 times out of 10 it is to watch a player they have allready contacted or seen in travel ball. Why would they spend a recruiting date going to a HS tournament or game ( even if it is a "quality team") to see 1-2 players when they could go to an exposure tournament or ASA Nats & see 100's?

At younger levels you are probably correct, most summerball coaches could be clasified as "daddy ball" coaches. But once these young ladies reach a certin level in ability and age they move on to the better coached teams. Now these teams may still have a dad coaching but with the amount of time and money it takes to play competitive summer ball & be seen by collages, NO player or parent that is serious is going to hang around a "daddy ball" coach. I am afraid you are confusing ego with pride / confidene... No coach that cares about there players is going to have a team take the field that he / she doesnt think can compete. Thats the mentality it takes to compete in the real world. And thats not just true for sports.

In order to interject some civility/common sense to the discussion I offer the following from ???Big Chief??? which was posted in the thread on whether or not HS softball should be moved to the fall:

The TSSAA does not get any "gate money" from any regular season games. The schools keep all of it. Only post season tournaments give money to the TSSAA and they are never rained out completely. You have to finish them.

Also, if it was not softball players missing out on senior activities, it would be volleyball players, or soccer players or track runners or tennis players or baseball players. Get the point? Everybody on here is talking about the TSSAA doing what is best, but they have to do what is best for EVERY athlete involved, not just softball. If you move softball to the fall then you have to move soccer to the spring. Only thing is , boys soccer is in the spring so you would have two different soccer teams trying to use the same soccer field. OK so move the boys soccer to the fall. Well then you get in the way of football. It is a circle that you cannot solve to please everyone.

Guys, hate to bust the bubble for ya' , but that will never happen because football is the only real money-maker the TSSAA has. Why do you think a sport with 2/3 the number of teams participating had 8 divisions last year compared to 3 for basketball/baseball/softball? Anyone who says they will not move softball because of money is delusional. They have NEVER made any kind of money off of softball (or baseball/track/tennis/ soccer etc.) If it was only about money then the TSSAA would only sanction football and everything else would be outside of school. That is the truth.

Every parent wants their kid's (or their own) passion to be at the top of the list, but there is no way to make it equitable for all sports. If you are that worried that your child will not be in the 1% that is a recipient of a partial softball scholarship, then by all means just play travel ball.

However, I challenge you to add up all the money you spent on equipment, travel, lessons, fundraisers etc. over the 12 years leading up to that partial scholarship and compare it to the 1/3 off you will get on tuition. I bet you are still on the short end. Enjoy the opportunity to play the sport you love, but understand that with specificity comes a price. You will lose out on something else somewhere. The law of give and take is always present.

Am I against travel ball? Absolutely not. My son is playing it now. However, I feel sorry for some parents who lose all perspective of real life

You cant be serious. If you actually think any player is going to play at he next level only playing for her High School team you need to call any collage coach & talk to them. They will tell you themselves that they do not attend HS games. On the rare occasion when or if they do, 9 times out of 10 it is to watch a player they have allready contacted or seen in travel ball. Why would they spend a recruiting date going to a HS tournament or game ( even if it is a "quality team") to see 1-2 players when they could go to an exposure tournament or ASA Nats & see 100's?

At younger levels you are probably correct, most summerball coaches could be clasified as "daddy ball" coaches. But once these young ladies reach a certin level in ability and age they move on to the better coached teams. Now these teams may still have a dad coaching but with the amount of time and money it takes to play competitive summer ball & be seen by collages, NO player or parent that is serious is going to hang around a "daddy ball" coach. I am afraid you are confusing ego with pride / confidene... No coach that cares about there players is going to have a team take the field that he / she doesnt think can compete. Thats the mentality it takes to compete in the real world. And thats not just true for sports.

GHS we are cut from the same cloth or maybe we have just been around to see the truth. Thanks for your well put comments it makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

ERA, I thought you were insane long before you started talking about the fall/spring debate. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have coached in TN and GA and I love fall softball. The fewer number of games played in GA has nothing to do with it being in the fall, it is restricted by the state association. You are limited to only 3 tournaments and can only play a set number of games in these tournaments. That is why most tourneys down here are 3 pool games and 4 round robin games. Most weeks during the GA season consists of 2 games, where as in TN you could very easily play Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, and Sat. That just doesn't happen very much in GA.

As far as the travel ball/school ball debate, they both have advantages. Travel ball tends to have better competition but high school ball acclimates a player to the everday grind of practice and/or games. Bottom line is this, if a player can play she will play at the next level. I've had players play in college that didn't play travel ball at all, some that played travel ball for dumb ole me, and some that thought they had to play for the newest and greatest travel ball team to get a scholly. It all came back to whether the kid could play ball or not.

Sorry I don't usually post without my name at the bottom.

David Terrebonne

• 3 weeks later...