Lack of coverage

ebbybm

You can't just cut out events in a track meet. That makes track too one sided. There are ways to improve meets efficiency and that is where the focus should be kept. But the other problem with that is that the kids that have to do 3-4 events are pressed for some rest.

4 hours for a meet is actually pretty reasonable. You haven't been to Bradley Central yet. (no knock on them)

A basketball night can start at 3:30 and go all the way until around 9 at night with 2 girls games and 2 guys games. And we serve hamburgers. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Just wonder why concurrent events can not happen in track vs field events. I know it would be difficult for a few that do both type events, but surely the event structure could be organized where that was only a very minor issue.

Basketball games vs track in length of time? Understand that, but basketball has action going on basically the entire time. Track has many, many delays between events. Understand, I'm not bashing track, since I have that background myself. I would just like to see things done a little differently so more fans and sports writers would attend and the guys/gals would get more exposure. Guess I'll call my buddy Bernard at TSSAA, since he's in charge now! I went to school and played basketball with him for 4 years at Belmont a few years back. Just a thought!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wonder why concurrent events can not happen in track vs field events. I know it would be difficult for a few that do both type events, but surely the event structure could be organized where that was only a very minor issue.

Basketball games vs track in length of time? Understand that, but basketball has action going on basically the entire time. Track has many, many delays between events. Understand, I'm not bashing track, since I have that background myself. I would just like to see things done a little differently so more fans and sports writers would attend and the guys/gals would get more exposure. Guess I'll call my buddy Bernard at TSSAA, since he's in charge now! I went to school and played basketball with him for 4 years at Belmont a few years back. Just a thought!

I understand your point. Here are some items of interest to this topic.

1. Most meets do run the 3200 during the field events. (saves a lot of time)

2. Delay of starting each heat of the same race. This is tough most kids want to watch the previous heat. then they want to get ready and you having a child you know how long it takes the to get ready to do anything.

3. Delay between events. You have got to get the equipment moved and setup. Lack of volunteers puts it on the coaches and athletes. (the same ones competing and running the events)

I think a 4 hour track meet is about right if you have 3-7 teams. There is a magic number in there somewhere, that you have enough coaches to help run events, and not to many athletes.

You can't rush the meet to much because most kids will do 2-4 events, and they want to do their best at each one. This means they will need some time to recover between each one.

A suggestions to parents - learn a field event. Coaches can always use help during the field events. Even if it is just raking sand or returning the shot. This is also a great way to get close and watch your child.

Take some interest in some of the other athletes - like nascar it is much more fun to watch when you have some knowledge about those competing. If you are at a meet that announces the team scores this help as well.

Good luck to your team at all your meets this year and maybe we can meet on the 3rd at your meet. (I promise I will do my best to keep the meet moving)

I really don't kow, but I'll remember what I was told at my 1st meet last year by a parent "if you ever are told you have only 1 day to live, go to a track meet, and it will be the longest day of your life".

That quote originated with Greg Duble and went something like this:

"I think I'm going to print up t-shirts that say, 'If I had just one day to live...I'd spend it at a Chattanooga Christian School track meet, because they last FOREVER.'"