Miss Basketball?

PressureD

Kayla Christopher is the best player in Class A regardless of who won the Class A Miss Basketball Award...

KC is no doubt and exceptional player, love to watch her play. I wish KC the best in continuing her career in Basketball. I have no doubt she will do well.

Far as LL take a look at the stats and give credit when credit is due, she deserves respect for her job as well as anyone. She is a great ball player. As far as Kc being the best you should have said one of the best cause class A has several ball players that can hang with either of these canidates and didn't get nominated. Look at CR got a team full of talent but spread the ball so stats don't look good on paper, but i consider them one of the best too!

Don't knock LL for her accomplishments by saying KC was the best. I think they all deserve the title the best. It takes several team mates to make the one look good. So do you give all of them the title Miss Basketball, wish you could cause alot of them have worked harder than these two girls and don't get any reconigtion. These two girls have natural talent and make it look easy where others love the game and have to work harder to make thier talent show. My hats off to all the lady basketball players for it takes a team of talent to make it and several teams made it. congrats to all!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's 2 things I don't like about the process.

1) I think postseason should be taken into account. Playing big in big games should account for something.

2) I'd like to know the breakdown of the panel is that decides it. It seems that Middle Tennessee players have an advantage. In 24 years in Class A, AA and AA, Middle Tenessee has almost as many Miss Basketball winners as East and West combined. If you live east of Knoxville you basically have no prayer. I know in Class A, East Tennessee has only had three Miss Basketball winners, Liz Strunk from Chattanooga, Brynae Laxton of Oneida and a girl from Greenback in the 80s.

You can't make everyone happy though no matter what and I'm not trying to say that any of this year's winners or past years winners were undeserving. You had two strong candidates in Class A this year and they don't split the award.

Goose,

You and I know that an East Tennessee player in any sport, is behind the eight ball in regards to any award from the TSSAA. Congrats to Laken.

How do you figure? What about Faith Dupree? Is Webb no longer located in Knoxville? Is Knoxville no longer located in East Tn? Last I checked Glory Johnson won it the two previous years and she played at Webb........Your statement is ridiculous......

In 24 years in Class A, AA and AA, Middle Tenessee has almost as many Miss Basketball winners as East and West combined.

I would like to see how many championship teams they have compared to the others as well. The competition you play day in and day out definately has an impact on the votes.

How do you figure? What about Faith Dupree? Is Webb no longer located in Knoxville? Is Knoxville no longer located in East Tn? Last I checked Glory Johnson won it the two previous years and she played at Webb........Your statement is ridiculous......

Ridiculous?? Lets take a look at the past winners for Miss Basketball in Single A, since 1985.

West Tennessee Winners: 12

Middle Tennessee Winners: 10

East Tenn Winners: 3

Still think my statement is ridiculous? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ridiculous?? Lets take a look at the past winners for Miss Basketball in Single A, since 1985.

West Tennessee Winners: 12

Middle Tennessee Winners: 10

East Tenn Winners: 3

Still think my statement is ridiculous? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In looking at the teams playing for the Class A championship since 1976, East TN has only had 7 of the 64 finalists. 3 champs and 4 runnerups. Could this say something about bb in that area of the state?

In looking at the teams playing for the Class A championship since 1976, East TN has only had 7 of the 64 finalists. 3 champs and 4 runnerups. Could this say something about bb in that area of the state?

My post is about the winner of the Miss Basketball, your talking about team championships! Your talking apples and oranges podge! And I'll prove it:

Take Kayla from Oliver Springs, a Miss Basketball finalist the past two years, Oliver Springs has not won the state in girls basketball, but, Kayla's sophomore year they played for the title, (I think she should have won that year) but she was a sophomore and I understand that it's usually a senior or junior award. So her junior year Oliver Springs makes it back to the state tourny, and her senior year they make it to the state tourny again, only to lose to the eventual state champs. All said and done three straight years making it to the boro, and over 100 wins in her career. I think her resume speaks for it's self, as I said, this is a individual award not a team award!

And no, I don't think it says something about the basketball in my area, but rather about the voting being done by central Tennessee folks. (media and TSSAA officials)

I was talking about Division I. I said Class A, AA and AAA. I don't know the breakdown of Division II. All I know that in 24 years of Class A, AA and AAA there have been a total of 72 winners. Less than 20 each from East and West Tennessee while Middle Tennessee has around 35. I've got the breakdown at work, but I'm not there today. You would think East Tennessee have around the same number considering there are two big cities in the east, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

I think the individual awards are directly related to team accomplishments. I don't think a player from team X who averages 30.2 points per game and 10 rebounds for a team going 4-21 on the season will win Miss Basketball. But a player from team Y who averages 21.2 points and 7 rebounds per game and the team goes 33-2 and wins the state can and will win Miss Basketball. That being said East TN teams have to start winning to get these players recognized.

I am not saying Mid TN voting does not affect this, I have no idea, but winning seems to cure about everything!

I think the individual awards are directly related to team accomplishments. I don't think a player from team X who averages 30.2 points per game and 10 rebounds for a team going 4-21 on the season will win Miss Basketball. But a player from team Y who averages 21.2 points and 7 rebounds per game and the team goes 33-2 and wins the state can and will win Miss Basketball. That being said East TN teams have to start winning to get these players recognized.

I am not saying Mid TN voting does not affect this, I have no idea, but winning seems to cure about everything!

There is only one SMALL problem with your post, the voting for these awards are done BEFORE the State Tournament even starts, so winning a state championship CAN'T be the influence for the eventual winner of the award, as stated in your post!