Miss Basketball?

PressureD

Post season does play into it.....it just happens to be last post seson...

Heather Butler played great for Gibson Co at the state tournament....watch and see if she is not up for Ms basketball next year...

Laken Leonard played great last year....she was up for it this year!!!

That's true too. Laken and Kayla both entered this season as favorites because of last year. We all know that past success shouldn't matter in this year's award, but it does. That's just human nature and that will never change. I can't blame someone who said they chose Laken over Kayla because Laken won the state in 2008. Heck, that might have been the tiebreaker because both had a great regular season and you can't use this season's postseason as a way to decide between the two.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post season does play into it.....it just happens to be last post seson...

Heather Butler played great for Gibson Co at the state tournament....watch and see if she is not up for Ms basketball next year...

Laken Leonard played great last year....she was up for it this year!!!

I almost agree with the post, I think LL played a great post season last year, and a had another great season this year, but after watching both her and KC play this year, I still think KC was better THIS year. That being said, LL also deserves the award and these discussions should take that away from her. I did not get to see the girl from McEwen play, but assume she also deserved the award.

i agree completly! KC is a true athlete and deserved it more i thought...if u look at kaylas year this year and lakens i think it shouldve gone 2 kayla..

Laken Leonard deserved this award more than anyone regardless of who went to state and who didn't. LOL. I watched Kayla C. this weekend, she was good...not that good. She is good, but the better player is Laken Leonard. She won the state championship last year, and was one of the best players in the district (and since this district is far and away best in the state, that would mean shes one of the best in the state.) In My opinion, It should have been Laken, KC, and Heady, Phillips, or Reed from Clarkrange one, and in this case the CR girl should have won, but if not them then Laken next then Christopher. Nothing against KC she is an excellent player, but not as good as Laken...

Laken Leonard deserved this award more than anyone regardless of who went to state and who didn't. LOL. I watched Kayla C. this weekend, she was good...not that good. She is good, but the better player is Laken Leonard. She won the state championship last year, and was one of the best players in the district (and since this district is far and away best in the state, that would mean shes one of the best in the state.) In My opinion, It should have been Laken, KC, and Heady, Phillips, or Reed from Clarkrange one, and in this case the CR girl should have won, but if not them then Laken next then Christopher. Nothing against KC she is an excellent player, but not as good as Laken...

Did you watch LL play this weekend? Nope. I think they both had comparable stats for the year and KC took her team to the state. I think KC being a senior deserved the award. LL will be a senior next year and her team will be a favorite for the state tourney, I just think sometimes the body of work is and should be considered. I know LL has had a great career also, but she is an underclassmen, and when its this close, the senior should prevail. just my opinion.

First off, make sure you understand I know LL and her family and like and respect them, Just want to make a correction in your post, I have made this statement once before YOU WIN AS A TEAM AND YOU LOSE AS ONE! LL did not win the state last year her team did! If people would learn one kid no matter how good they are can not do it by themselves it is a team effort. LL and KC would not stand out if they where not surrounded by great players on their team.... I believe Bud and coach would agree.

Miss Basketball awards are awarded on individual Stats and the one with the better stats gets the award or thats the way I understand forgive me if I am wrong. They are plenty of well deserving Young Ladies from all over the state. Cr teams is fortunate to have more than most that can carry their weight and in this case it spreads the stats thin for these girls. As I am sure they are others in the state with the same. CR has a team full of Miss Basketballs. So, you got to ask yourself is this fair, should it be on stats...? Its the way its done, for a reason.Team award is the Gold or silver Balls. Ms Basketball I think is a great thing for an individual to recieve it shows hard work and dedication from one individual. Congrats to LL and wish KC the best in furthering her career in BB.

It bothers me for someone to say one team mate won state! Team Players is what it takes. Thats what JC had Last Year!!

Christopher's stats were impressive. But Laken had her beat. Laken was well deserving of the award. You have to think about the district that Christopher came out of... VERY WEAK!!!!!! Anybody could have great stats from it. No teams to play..... So when you have to come up against teams like Jackson County and Clarkrange then you fall all to pieces and can only score four or five points...... Shows you true weaknesses... Got to be big in big games.. Just wasn't there. Congratulations Miss Basketball Winners..........

Did you watch LL play this weekend? Nope. I think they both had comparable stats for the year and KC took her team to the state. I think KC being a senior deserved the award. LL will be a senior next year and her team will be a favorite for the state tourney, I just think sometimes the body of work is and should be considered. I know LL has had a great career also, but she is an underclassmen, and when its this close, the senior should prevail. just my opinion.

I totally agree with your post!

With that said, I should also say LL is a great player and I will not say one of these girls are better than the other, they both are great basketball players, but I would have like to seen KC the senior get the award this year and LL next year. (only in a perfect world, I know..) I do think the TSSAA should re-think how and when they vote, and make the votes public. Again Congrats and good luck to LL!

I seen both these girls several times this year and twice head on as JC and OS played each other.Both are very good players and deserving of any award they win.Both are extremely nice young ladies and both will be sucessful in life and bb. The games I saw LL was the better player night in and night out as well as in the games against each other, especially when you consider the teams LL got her stats against the toughest competition in the state. As a shooter off the dribble KC is one of the best I ever seen and an outstanding bb player. Good luck to all the finalist.

Also, KC scored 40 points against Knoxville Webb when UT's faith dupree scored only 18 in the game as OS almost beat a powerful knox webb team.

The media should be embarrassed about their selection. It was poor and just another example of having low information voter determining a state wide competition when they aren't knowledgeable to do so or very biased.

As I said before, I am happy KC can now move onto greener pastures. She seems to have garnered more respect at the national level and AAU than she did in her own state- with exception to the Tennessean Newspaper which named her as one of the top 5 players overall in the state as a junior, yet the statewide media can't get something so basic correct. It's time for her to wash her hands and upgrade to college basketball where the sky is the limit.

My post is about the winner of the Miss Basketball, your talking about team championships! Your talking apples and oranges podge! And I'll prove it:

Take Kayla from Oliver Springs, a Miss Basketball finalist the past two years, Oliver Springs has not won the state in girls basketball, but, Kayla's sophomore year they played for the title, (I think she should have won that year) but she was a sophomore and I understand that it's usually a senior or junior award. So her junior year Oliver Springs makes it back to the state tourny, and her senior year they make it to the state tourny again, only to lose to the eventual state champs. All said and done three straight years making it to the boro, and over 100 wins in her career. I think her resume speaks for it's self, as I said, this is a individual award not a team award!

And no, I don't think it says something about the basketball in my area, but rather about the voting being done by central Tennessee folks. (media and TSSAA officials)

You need to take your own advice, this isn't a team award. Just becasue you make it to the boro 3 years doesn't mean squat in the award. 100 wins doesn't mean squat...........you talk about individuallity but at the same time you post nothing but team accomplishments!!!!!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

First let me say my congrats to all Nominees and Winners!!!! All are very special /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think to some degree it is based on the total body of work. To some degree it is based on the state tournament. Also think it's based on the district, region, and sub state tournaments.

I think for the voters, the season (2009) for Miss Basketball started during last years post season tournaments. This is when the spotlight starts to shine a little brighter for the players, fans, and media. We as fans usually only see the talent that's within our district up until this point. Same for the media/voters!! Then we travel within the region and see more talent and then to other regions in the sub state and see more talent. Same for the voters!!! Keep in mind all your winners for this year we're still playing at this point last year /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now it's off to the 'Boro where fans and voters are seeing more talent and the light's a little brighter. In Class A we see Jackson Co win the gold ball and Laken Lenard wins MVP.....AA Marshall Co wins the gold ball and Lauren March wins MVP....AAA Wilson Central gets the gold ball and Jasmine Hassell wins the MVP.... all were still playing at this point and then some /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now the light goes dark for most voters and fans until the regular season begins. Some see a few AAU games, but not as many fans and even less voters.

The season starts and the light starts to glow. We start to remember players names and numbers and follow them throughout the reg. season. As the stats build the season ends and it's time to vote /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I think it's a safe bet your 2010 Miss Basketball was playing in the 'Boro last week!!!!!!!