Bearden Tournament

NedNatterjack

If I were the coach of CAK, Farragut, or Catholic, I would let Morristown West win and then take the entire team out for a free lunch at Buddy's on Sunday. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

WOULD YOU REALLY DO THAT???? If the answer is yes, good thing you don't coach.....,meals can be bought wins cannot.

My offer still stands!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OnThePitch... does that mean if MoWest wins you will identify yourself? You and Dins always provide excellent feedback and analysis of games from around the area, and entire state for that matter, why not reveal who you are so we can all know who the brains of the soccer community really is? What is your playing and coaching background? Did you play locally, coach nationally... what is your resume? Same goes for Dins, if you're reading!

On another note... I saw parts of the the Bearden/West, Maryville/TN High, OR/Farragut games. Great early season soccer. I would rank them the following way: 1-Maryville, 2-Bearden, 3-Farragut, 4-OR, 5-West, 6-TN High. Although MHS played a weaker opponent, they are the best at this stage of the season. Traveling to West TN so early in the season will help them, and based on what I saw, they are the front runner to win the title from East TN. In years past, Maryville couldn't win the big game, but with a new coach with new energy and system in place, Maryille will be the last East TN team standing. One Maryville parent told me that the school, players, and parents have a renewed excitement this year for the season. Early season warning: watch out for the Rebels! That said, MoWest might surprise me this weekend and I hope to see a new team rise to the top!

Also... there is some talk on this thread about coaching ability vs. player talent. I submit that West Knoxville typically has the better talent than in other parts of Knoxville, so you would think that anyone could coach them to championships. Not so! The coaching ability is obvious when both Turner and Culbreth have returned trophies to both schools. The parent support is also phenomenal at both. Don't forget that although the parents don't hire the coach initially, we do have the ability to pressure the AD's to retain/replace the coaches if we feel like our kids are not receiving the highest quality of mentoring, coaching, and discipline. My point is, where talent and coaching is absolutely #1 and #2 in the hierarchy of success, the parents at both schools drive a degree of the championship model as well. I commend Bearden, Farragut, CAK, Catholic, West, Maryville, and Webb on their consistency to produce winning seasons and playoff success year after year. Show me a championship team, and I'll show you a program with talent, great coach, and tremendous parent involvement.

I look forward to the season, and as a parent with years of soccer background in both girls and boys seasons, it's exciting to witness the enthusiasm throughout Knoxville and East TN. Now that mine are graduated, I hope to be entertained in the stands of schools from around the area. My best to all!

WOULD YOU REALLY DO THAT???? If the answer is yes, good thing you don't coach.....,meals can be bought wins cannot.

My offer still stands!!

OnThePitch... does that mean if MoWest wins you will identify yourself? You and Dins always provide excellent feedback and analysis of games from around the area, and entire state for that matter, why not reveal who you are so we can all know who the brains of the soccer community really is? What is your playing and coaching background? Did you play locally, coach nationally... what is your resume? Same goes for Dins, if you're reading!

On another note... I saw parts of the the Bearden/West, Maryville/TN High, OR/Farragut games. Great early season soccer. I would rank them the following way: 1-Maryville, 2-Bearden, 3-Farragut, 4-OR, 5-West, 6-TN High. Although MHS played a weaker opponent, they are the best at this stage of the season. Traveling to West TN so early in the season will help them, and based on what I saw, they are the front runner to win the title from East TN. In years past, Maryville couldn't win the big game, but with a new coach with new energy and system in place, Maryille will be the last East TN team standing. One Maryville parent told me that the school, players, and parents have a renewed excitement this year for the season. Early season warning: watch out for the Rebels! That said, MoWest might surprise me this weekend and I hope to see a new team rise to the top!

Also... there is some talk on this thread about coaching ability vs. player talent. I submit that West Knoxville typically has the better talent than in other parts of Knoxville, so you would think that anyone could coach them to championships. Not so! The coaching ability is obvious when both Turner and Culbreth have returned trophies to both schools. The parent support is also phenomenal at both. Don't forget that although the parents don't hire the coach initially, we do have the ability to pressure the AD's to retain/replace the coaches if we feel like our kids are not receiving the highest quality of mentoring, coaching, and discipline. My point is, where talent and coaching is absolutely #1 and #2 in the hierarchy of success, the parents at both schools drive a degree of the championship model as well. I commend Bearden, Farragut, CAK, Catholic, West, Maryville, and Webb on their consistency to produce winning seasons and playoff success year after year. Show me a championship team, and I'll show you a program with talent, great coach, and tremendous parent involvement.

I look forward to the season, and as a parent with years of soccer background in both girls and boys seasons, it's exciting to witness the enthusiasm throughout Knoxville and East TN. Now that mine are graduated, I hope to be entertained in the stands of schools from around the area. My best to all!

I don't quite undestand how Maryville gets destroyed in West TN and can come back and be the front runner of East TN. Come on now. Give East TN more credit than that. I believe Farragut, Bearden, and Catholic will be battling it out for title of best in East TN. Farragut is loaded with players from the East TN Select, Bearden has scattered talent from East TN select, Liverpool, and other club teams, and Catholic has several very strong players mostly from the Knoxville FC club. Maryville may have some strong (blount united players?) or such, but when it comes down to it those players will not be able to hang with players that have competed and been successful at the national club level. Just my opinion.

I don't quite undestand how Maryville gets destroyed in West TN and can come back and be the front runner of East TN. Come on now. Give East TN more credit than that. I believe Farragut, Bearden, and Catholic will be battling it out for title of best in East TN. Farragut is loaded with players from the East TN Select, Bearden has scattered talent from East TN select, Liverpool, and other club teams, and Catholic has several very strong players mostly from the Knoxville FC club. Maryville may have some strong (blount united players?) or such, but when it comes down to it those players will not be able to hang with players that have competed and been successful at the national club level. Just my opinion.

I agree and disagree with both smokymtnfutbol and Dionysus.

Smokymtnfutbol, you raved about both Turner and Culbreth and the success that they have had as coaches, and I agree that you cannot judge a program??™s success by merely analyzing the talent pool from which both Turner and Culbreth draw. It sometimes can be very difficult for a team full of All-Stars to gel, and only a good mentor can make all the soldiers fire at once. Big time players have big time egos, and I commend both Turner and Farragut (above all) for teaching their players humility.

On the other hand, I disagree with you on your comments regarding parents. I think sometimes??”especially at a struggling school??”the parents can actually impose pejorative effects on a program. It is my opinion that the most successful programs always have less overbearing parents who recognize the importance of riding back seat??”not shotgun. In fact, every year I have an overly assertive parent who is blind to the adversity that he or she is inadvertently creating. Your belief that parents are somehow able to coerce an AD to intervene with a program or replace coaches who are not up to par lead me to believe that you misunderstand how detrimental a disgruntled parent can be to a team. Moreover, I think you are way off base in believing that an AD feels great pressure from parents when it comes to his coaches; most AD??™s are former coaches who have a healthy understanding of how abrasive and blinded a parent can be when his or her son is involved in a program. Good AD??™s support their coaches; I know my AD continually laughs off parents who think they are making some sort of a dent by complaining about a coach. In the end, I think that parents who get too involved can be a team??™s Achilles heel, and, unfortunately, they are quite sad as well. After all, you wouldn??™t see a coach enter a parent??™s office, demand to speak to that parent??™s supervisor, and complain about something that the coach obviously knows little about.

Smokymtnfutbol??”I agree with you that Maryville is a quality side (very good with possession), but, like Dionysus says, they are far from the best team in the East. It is a bit na??ve to think that they are better than both Bearden and Farragut when Maryville has NEVER won a District Title over them. However, I think that Dionysus is a bit off with his reasoning behind why Maryville is not the best??”I think it is more related to their youth rather than their lack of quality club players. Most of Maryville??™s impact players play for very successful clubs (KFC, FC-Alliance)??”not Blount United. In fact, I am not even sure that any Blount United players even start for Maryville (I could be wrong on this). Furthermore, it is a bit presumptuous to assume that nothing good comes out of Blount United. Sure, the club has a difficult time competing with clubs that draw from a larger talent pool and pay very successful coaches, but that does not mean that Blount United fields a bunch of scrubs.

Just my opinion??”I hope you both know that I agree with most of what you said.

Best,

dins

Most of these at Maryville do start out Blount United then the big clubs in knoxville come and recruit away their best players and teams. I know this happened with one team in particular this last year. They all went to KFC. Just like Alcoa's best did play Blount United then this year went to FC Alliance.

Most of these at Maryville do start out Blount United then the big clubs in knoxville come and recruit away their best players and teams. I know this happened with one team in particular this last year. They all went to KFC. Just like Alcoa's best did play Blount United then this year went to FC Alliance.

Alcoa had 5 or 6 boys head to FC Alliance. They do more traveling and offersmore exposure. That was the reasoning behind that decision. Plus there were some issues with the older age group in previous seasons. And who says that young man is our best? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

BUMP

NOW FOLKS CAN READ THIS ONE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

Wondering how catholic will do after that result with loudon. We will find out fast if that is a fluke or not!!!

may have to check some of these out.

anyone else going? and which matches?

BUMP

NOW FOLKS CAN READ THIS ONE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

Wondering how catholic will do after that result with loudon. We will find out fast if that is a fluke or not!!!

may have to check some of these out.

anyone else going? and which matches?

I'll probably go to all of the CAK games.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Actually, I would love to see Bearden play again. Might stay for the game after ours tonight.