Greatest Teams in Class A of ALL TIME

Vandychris

I know they got beat... but anyone can get beat in a game... Temple was really good that year as well with Jake Skogen, J. Williams, Issiah Mouh (sp), Ryan Wadley, younger wadley, Seth skogen, and company... I know Temple beat them, but I think Ezell also beat them earlier in the year... I just think that Ezell team was as good as any team in probably ever in class A, just an opinion...

michael,

reading your other posts especially the ones about mr. basketball and the like I think you are a little confused about the order of the skogen boys...

seth skogen was in 7th grade when temple won the 1st state title with jake skogen and j. williams and ryan wadley...

CALEB skogen was a fresh...as was younger wadley( never played)

The year after that when temple repeated it was jake, caleb, ryan wadley, sean wadley (younger wadley) and Isaiah mouw ( he never played until this year..a little for the 02' champ team but not really)...

2 years later in 05 Caleb skogen was up for mr. basketball...and doaks got the award over him...

seth skogen was a finalist for the award in '06 and '07...HE was the one who got robbed of the Mr. basketball award...he averaged more points and more rebounds than Union city Mr. basketball winner mj brown, AND actually GOT his team to the state tourney...AND ACTUALLY WON the state tourney...AND was the state tourney MVP....but they voted on the award way earlier in the season instead of waiting to see who is clutch...and...who was actually better....

anyways...I think you get the ages and names of the skogans confused... thought that would help...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michael,

reading your other posts especially the ones about mr. basketball and the like I think you are a little confused about the order of the skogen boys...

seth skogen was in 7th grade when temple won the 1st state title with jake skogen and j. williams and ryan wadley...

CALEB skogen was a fresh...as was younger wadley( never played)

The year after that when temple repeated it was jake, caleb, ryan wadley, sean wadley (younger wadley) and Isaiah mouw ( he never played until this year..a little for the 02' champ team but not really)...

2 years later in 05 Caleb skogen was up for mr. basketball...and doaks got the award over him...

seth skogen was a finalist for the award in '06 and '07...HE was the one who got robbed of the Mr. basketball award...he averaged more points and more rebounds than Union city Mr. basketball winner mj brown, AND actually GOT his team to the state tourney...AND ACTUALLY WON the state tourney...AND was the state tourney MVP....but they voted on the award way earlier in the season instead of waiting to see who is clutch...and...who was actually better....

anyways...I think you get the ages and names of the skogans confused... thought that would help...

Your right... I always get them mixed up... man... that's all temple put out for like 6 years was Wadleys and Skogens... It's been a couple of years since then... and my mind might be slipping a little... Same deal with the Mr. Basketball thing... I though that he was more deserving than M.J. (that year) , but not Doaks... my bad...

Quick question Temple true... Who was in your mind the best Temple ball player...

I never got to see Josh Templeton play... was he the best... All I hear is good things...

Could you compare.... Templeton (Temple), Skogen (Temple), and Howerda (CCS, I think...)

IMO

Josh Templeton's game was VERY similar to the 2nd skogen Caleb...high amount of assists, skinny, lightning quick scored I think 20+ pts agame (I think skogen avg. was 22ish) Josh was WAY better than he should have been...he was only 5'9'' and that hurt him. He probably shot the 3 a little better..Caleb skogen was a 6'2 version of templeton...also with better hops.. so I would have to put templeton behind caleb skogen. Caleb is behind jake skogen in my mind only because jake was able to get the gold balls in the gyms trophy case... Caleb could take over a game but was better at including and distributing...Jake just took games over...regardless of how his teammates were playing...

The 3rd skogen...seth was the best shooter of them all...and he lead his team to a gold ball....but probably had the best supporting cast of any of the other players mentioned... seth shot like 45% from 3 including 11 in one game... averaged about 21 a game for two straight years and 18 a game as a soph. All mentioned above were mr. basketball finalists...seth skogen the only one who was up for it twice...and jake the only one to win it...

Holwerda was probably better than everyone mentioned above...mr. basketball 2 years in a row, and freakin mad hops... not a very good 3 ball shooter but a great pull up. He averaged 26 a game his jr. and sr. seasons and won gold as a sr. His game and the oldest skogen, jake's, game were the most similar except holwerda a better athlete and jake maybe a better shooter... Holwerda also had the best #2 guy on the team, with that Trimew kid who was really tough and also a sick athlete... Holwerda is also only one of 7 players in the state to have scored over 3,000 pts. in a career.

That being said the oldest skogen scored around 2500+ in only 3 seasons...he didn't play his fresh becasue he broke his leg or some kind of injury... The oldest skogen is also the only one mentioned to score over 1,000 pts. in one season averaging 29 a game as a sr. the 3rd skogen and Holwerda are the only ones mentioned that saw serious time on the varsity as 8th graders...the third skogen holds the career scoring record at temple with 2700+, and the career rebounding record... Jake is 2nd on both...in only 3 seasons... Caleb is 5th with just over 2,000 pts, (behind jeff smith, and now Jeremy Sexton), but Caleb is 1st in career assists at temple, with templeton being 2nd...

wow...too much typing...so to answer your question I would say jake was the best temple player....

Holwerda was the best of everyone mentioned above...but now that you have a lot of the facts you can decide for yourself...

Just to clarify a few things the great bolton teams you are talking about were beaten by Perry County in 1977 and PC beat Knox Catholic in 1976, those Perry Co. teams were led by Mike Rhodes and he set several scoring records in the state tournament those years. Perry Co. had a very good run in the 90's appeared in the state tourney 94,95,96,97 with a runner up in 1996 and a championship in 1997.

Those Bolton teams were real good....

Back in 1986 when Obion Central won their state championship I saw Bolton play in the 1A championship....They lost that game to Westside that day at Vanderbilt's Memorial Coliseum.....

In 1975, the last year of the Large/Small school divisions Bolton was 35-0 and beat Denmark West....77 saw Perry County beat Bolton 94-76 for the state title...In 1978 Bolton (33-2) beat Goodpasture...79 Bolton (37-1) beat Powell Valley...81 Bolton (32-5) beat Hampton....84 Bolton lost to Greenfield..85 Bolton (33-3) beat Westside

Perry County had some great runs as well, not counting those 3 consecutive titles in 55-56-57 playing as Linden, they won in 76 over Knox Catholic...77 over Bolton...In 96 they lost to Boyd Buchanan but won in 97 when they went 37-0 and beat Columbia Acd....I saw them twice that season....Once in the regular season at Linden when they beat the eventual AA state champs Union City in a come-from-behind victory and the other before Union City won the title by beating Melrose...Pickett County had some good runs....Temple has had good runs....

Manassas has had two real good teams in a row...Humboldt was very good this year....

Union City, at 37-0 in 08, has to be considered one of those great 1A teams.....They played their district schedule of 1A teams in which they had to and then the state tournament.....Other than that they didn't play any other 1A teams...They won the Battle for the State Tournament at Lipscomb..They also went to Poplar Bluff, Mo. and won that tournament against 5A and 6A schools from three different states....

Just to clarify a few things the great bolton teams you are talking about were beaten by Perry County in 1977 and PC beat Knox Catholic in 1976, those Perry Co. teams were led by Mike Rhodes and he set several scoring records in the state tournament those years. Perry Co. had a very good run in the 90's appeared in the state tourney 94,95,96,97 with a runner up in 1996 and a championship in 1997.

Thanks for clarifying that, BBcoach.

That Mike Rhodes was a ballin' son-of-a-fun! It looks like Perry County has a storied Basketball History, as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I know about Bolton's basketball fall-off....but, what happenen to Perry County's basketball dominance???

Thanks for clarifying that, BBcoach.

That Mike Rhodes was a ballin' son-of-a-fun! It looks like Perry County has a storied Basketball History, as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I know about Bolton's basketball fall-off....but, what happenen to Perry County's basketball dominance???

Talent pool dropped off...Happens to all small schools,every school actually,every now and again.....

Those Bolton teams were real good....

Back in 1986 when Obion Central won their state championship I saw Bolton play in the 1A championship....They lost that game to Westside that day at Vanderbilt's Memorial Coliseum.....

In 1975, the last year of the Large/Small school divisions Bolton was 35-0 and beat Denmark West....77 saw Perry County beat Bolton 94-76 for the state title...In 1978 Bolton (33-2) beat Goodpasture...79 Bolton (37-1) beat Powell Valley...81 Bolton (32-5) beat Hampton....84 Bolton lost to Greenfield..85 Bolton (33-3) beat Westside

Perry County had some great runs as well, not counting those 3 consecutive titles in 55-56-57 playing as Linden, they won in 76 over Knox Catholic...77 over Bolton...In 96 they lost to Boyd Buchanan but won in 97 when they went 37-0 and beat Columbia Acd....I saw them twice that season....Once in the regular season at Linden when they beat the eventual AA state champs Union City in a come-from-behind victory and the other before Union City won the title by beating Melrose...Pickett County had some good runs....Temple has had good runs....

Manassas has had two real good teams in a row...Humboldt was very good this year....

Union City, at 37-0 in 08, has to be considered one of those great 1A teams.....They played their district schedule of 1A teams in which they had to and then the state tournament.....Other than that they didn't play any other 1A teams...They won the Battle for the State Tournament at Lipscomb..They also went to Poplar Bluff, Mo. and won that tournament against 5A and 6A schools from three different states....

Thanks for the excellent Historical information, Purple and Gold.

Man, I feel like I'm re-living some of those great 1970's basketball games, all over again!! It seems like Bolton and Perry County were both Class A powerhouses, for many years.

Thanks for the excellent Historical information, Purple and Gold.

Man, I feel like I'm re-living some of those great 1970's basketball games, all over again!! It seems like Bolton and Perry County were both Class A powerhouses, for many years.

How about this...I found an article on the 79 Bolton team..See if you remember some of these names....

Cecil Dowell,Dennis Willis,Darrell Brown,Mike Williams,Raymond Brown,Vincent Singleton,James Wiggins,Michael Burnett,Clint Bond,Draft Shaw,Quincy Anderson and James Leary....

So, Perry County did not get swept-up by a "population-shift," similar to the one that forever changed the scope of Bolton High School?

You'd have to talk to someone from there....Linden and Perry Co are out in the middle of nowhere....I remember when I went to that Perry County-Union City game in 97 at Linden it was like going back in time.....Sort of like going to Jo Byrns for a football game.....