Greatest Teams in Class A of ALL TIME

Vandychris

Wish I had seen this post earlier - but here you go.

The Joe Branch coached Bolton teams from 1984-1986 were the teams anchored by Sylvester Gray aka Syl. They beat Rodrick Watson's, who played at Wake Forest, West Side teams, Marvin Alexander's, Who Played at Memphis State, Whitehaven teams, Richard Madison's aka the Master Blaster's teams and won State Championships with ease. In 1986, Sylvester played the 4 and Lang Wiseman, of The University of Tenn, played the 2. Next to Syl, the 5 was 6-10. At point was a guy whose name I can't recall, but ended up at a junior college and played 6 years professionally in Spian. They dressed 15 and played 11 and ran the court in ways that were ahead of their time. The 2 guard looked like a young Curley Neal and was deadly anywhere inside about 23 feet. There was no three point line back then. If there was he would have been even more incredible. I played AAU ball, have coached AAU ball, coached for a living in the past, seen basketball all over the US, and played against some of these guys. The 1986 Bolton team was so far and away the best A basketball team ever fielded, that second place is in another galaxy. These guys, coincidentally, all grew up in the Bolton/Arlington area, went to Barret's Chaple Middle school together and lost 4 games in 6 years. It simply doesn't and hasn't ever gotten any better than this group. I hated them back then, but have grown to respect and appreciate just how unbelievable they were now.

Wow!!

That's one impressive lineup.... Your background certaintly lends credibility to your statements!

----------------------

Questions:

1) Did you ever see any of those Bolton teams from the 70's, specifically 1979 and 1978?

2) How do those 1984-1986 teams compare to their predecessors, mentioned above?

As I mentioned earlier, I lost track of our local Mphs teams in 1985. Thus, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of any Bolton teams after 1985.

I know this much, if the Bolton teams that you mentioned were better than the '78 and '79 teams, then ....All I can say is.....

Wow!!! MAN, that's super-impressive, beyond all comprehension!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember former Alcoa player David George telling me how awesome that Bolton team was...

Cecil Dowell played at Ole Miss and was a thorn in UT's side the whole time.

RebelRon,

It's been so many years ago...I had completely forgotten that Otis Jackson's former backcourt gunner, (the late?) Cecil Dowell was ALSO a major D-1 signee (Otis starred @ Mphs State Univ). Now...it's easy to see WHY Bolton's late 70's teams were so dominant!

Those 2 guys were some serious, serious 'ballers!!

------------------------------------------------

Sadly, I heard (from some of my old High School Classmates) that Cecil Dowell died in a car wreck, a few short years ago (I don't remember the actual year)....

Now, personally, don't know if that information is accurate or not.... I mean, I sincerely doubt that my old Classmates would just make up something like that, something so tragic...

Gosh, I hope it's NOT true.

First, thanks for the topic--it made me finally get a sign in so that I could post!! Growing up in Linden, basketball was all we knew. Even as a kid, we all knew about the history of basketball there and those teams from '55-'57 that won state titles when there were no classifications of any kind. A school with 150 students would have to beat the big-city schools to win the title. I was fortunate in 7th and 8th grade to have a close friend whose brother played on the '75-'77 Perry County teams, so I got to see nearly every game. The post season games were stacked to the rafters wherever the district and regional tourneys were held. In high school, my best friend and I were lucky enough to run up to Vandy to watch Mike Rhodes play as part of the Town & Country duo. When I played at PCHS coached by Dave Rhodes (Ole Miss), we got to see some of the reels of the state tourney games and I was even fortunate enough to get to guard Mike at the alumni game after his college career ended. In the '96-'97 season, I was able to take my sons to see that amazing team open the season in the old gym and followed them throughout the season--I had moved away years ago.

Population growth has definitely NOT overtaken Perry County!! Still a very peaceful and country town--I get back 3-4 times a year to see Mom. Look for the Vikings to be back soon!! Thanks again for bringing back those memories!!

Welcome aboard, BackInTheDay!!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Sounds like you've got some very nice, fond memories from those days gone by!!!!

Wow!

Man, you had some great, rare experiences that one would cherish for an entire lifetime!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, I am absolutely thrilled to hear that Perry County has not fallen "victim" to the massive Population explosion, and has remained the same peaceful, country town in which you grew up! Hopefully, they'll be be able to maintain that wholesome, "small-town" status for generations to come.

Absolutely nothing beats the peace and tranquility that exists in a small town, IMO!

Having grown up in Colliervile, Tennessee....back when Collierville was a simple, teeny-tiny, friendly, little country-bumpkin town--where everybody knew everybody, you didn't have to lock your doors--day or nite, rotary-dialed phones were standard, the corner-grocery stores had them old, creaky wooden floors and sold "goose" liver by slice, they even mixed the kids cherry-cola sodas, gave them scoops of ice cream.....heck, they even delivered your groceries (for free), folks sold snow cones on the corner, Friday nite fish-frys and live music on the town square, picking pecans and walnuts, Saturday morning fishing-- down at the neighborhood pond...

Ok, Let me stop---- I'm starting to get carried away, getting all nostalgic!!

Anyway, those were the good ol' days! Not coincedentally, my life's most cherished memories are from those simple years growing up, in that small Country Town of Collierville!

----------------------------------------------------------

BackInTheDay, I would absolutely love to see the small-town Perry County Vikings' basketball program return to "glory!" That would make a great story! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Wow--this is a great thread. Nobody is arguing or demeaning anyone. Lots of great history and stories. I am learning alot about class A history. Like I said origianlly, and I apologize for being wrong on my dates (they were from memory and us old guys have a tendancy to fade in that area as we age), but those were the teams that stuck out. I never knew of the Bolton history--however had heard of some of the Perry County teams. I remember one being discussed that had Mike Rhodes and another tat had Dave Rhodes (didn't he play at Vandy or was it Mike?). It would have been great to see some of those teams you guys are mentioning. I had the privelage of watching the PC teams of the 90's rampage their way through district 12a mostly unchallenged. Sure, Summertown could play with them but PC surely outclassed them most of that time. Had the privelage of watching BGA for their two year run in the early 90's. Seth Pettus was definately one of the most fundamentally gifted players in the post I have had the enjoyment of watching. He was a student of the game--I recall him asking his coach one evening what type of defense they were going to play at Mt Pleasant and that was during the girls game. I think he worked harder than even Ron Mercer during that time even though he didn't have the talent level. I also remember being at the region final game when Goodpasture handed them one of their losses and getting smoke and then two weeks later taking the state by beating that same Goodpasture team in the finals. Keep the debate going--I am enjoying hearing all of the stories.

Mike Rhodes played at Vandy and his brother, Dave, was a dual sport athlete at Ole Miss (he played baseball and basketball).

Without a doubt, one of the greatest Class A basketball teams of all time is the 96-97 team from Perry Co. As a part of that team, I can tell you it was blessed with great talent and an outstanding coach. Our 96-97 team finished the season undeafeated at 37-0 and won each of our three state tournament games that year by 25+ points, including a 35-point victory over our district rivals Columbia Academy in the state championship game. Kirk Haston went on to play for Bobby Knight and Mike Davis at Indiana and Chris Jones extended his basketball career at Columbia State. During the season, this team defeated at least one Class AA school (Waverly) and, as previously mentioned, went undefeated while competing in the toughest division that year. Coach Bruce Slatten did an excellent job of leading this team to victory. I'm not sure where he's currently coaching, but I can assure you that Perry Co. would take him back.

Wow!!

That's one impressive lineup.... Your background certaintly lends credibility to your statements!

----------------------

Questions:

1) Did you ever see any of those Bolton teams from the 70's, specifically 1979 and 1978?

As I mentioned earlier, I lost track of our local Mphs teams in 1985. Thus, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of any Bolton teams after 1985.

I know this much, if the Bolton teams that you mentioned were better than the '78 and '79 teams, then ....All I can say is.....

Wow!!

----------------------

Questions:

Man this is a great thread.

The 78-79 teams were very good. I remember playing in a tournament as a 13-14 year old in Millington against TEAM COCA COLA and then hustling over with my coach to the Bolton gym to watch them play. Those teams had awsome guard play. The were good in the open court, but at that time were more of a half court team both defensively and offensively. I remember them running some 1-3-1 half court trap stuff and running out of it, but when their opponent did score, they got into a half court offense - again I think this is because they were so "point guard" oriented. The 84-86 team ran fst breaks off MADE baskets. They were the first team that I remeber really working on not letting the ball, off a made basket, bounce. Honest to God, they would snatch the ball as it came through the net, hit one of 2 guards who were flared somwhere between the old 5 second timeline and half court who would then hit a runner in the middle of the floor and 3 seconds later they had scored and were in your face pressing again and the ball hadn't touched the ground ever since their opponent had dribbled it in the prior possesion - it was WAY ahead of its time. What made them really standout was that Syl would be the runner half the time and finished with authority. They also were one of the first that I saw penetrate and kick out. Back then, if you drove to the goal you simply went to the @@@@ or maybe feed the ball to an opposite post, but the idea of getting three feet from the goal to them pass it back 15 feet was absurd, but they did it. I just think because of the talent, the coaching, the style of play that they had, which changed the way many people in the Memphis area looked at the game, and their complete dominace - even over AA and AAA teams, that they were just a cut above the 70's teams.

Before there were classes, Perry County won 3 in a row in the 1950's. Hampton won in 1960, I think it was.

That '59-'60 Hampton team won 44 games en route to a state championship....Their victim that day??...Union City....

Union City had come into the game with an unbeaten record....Hampton won in Nashville 49-42

Two of Union City's all-time best teams never even made the state tournament....The 91 team that suffered two key injuries (Stanley Caldwell and Kevin Treadwell) during the regional semis and lost at Kingsbury in the sub-state...Kingsbury eventually won the state championship that year....This was when UC was 2A....And the 07 team that was ranked #1 all year before losing to Humboldt (86-83) in the region semis at West Carroll HS....Both those years were sandwiched between state championship seasons...UC could have had two three-peats...

As far as all-time T.$.$.A.A. state championships go Bolton and Perry County are tied with 6...Union City is tied with two other teams for second most with 5...East Robertson has 4...East Robertson had a kid that played at Tennessee (Carlos Groves)..Another team that folks forget is Middleton (Stevie Hamer played at UT as well)..They have 3 championships as does Temple....

Mike Rhodes played at Vandy and his brother, Dave, was a dual sport athlete at Ole Miss (he played baseball and basketball).

Without a doubt, one of the greatest Class A basketball teams of all time is the 96-97 team from Perry Co. As a part of that team, I can tell you it was blessed with great talent and an outstanding coach. Our 96-97 team finished the season undeafeated at 37-0 and won each of our three state tournament games that year by 25+ points, including a 35-point victory over our district rivals Columbia Academy in the state championship game. Kirk Haston went on to play for Bobby Knight and Mike Davis at Indiana and Chris Jones extended his basketball career at Columbia State. During the season, this team defeated at least one Class AA school (Waverly) and, as previously mentioned, went undefeated while competing in the toughest division that year. Coach Bruce Slatten did an excellent job of leading this team to victory. I'm not sure where he's currently coaching, but I can assure you that Perry Co. would take him back.

Im pretty sure slatten is at culleoka now, ive heard he is an excellent coach.