Infield fly, droped 3rd

catchman

I was wondering if the infield fly call has changed. In the last 2 tourneys I have attented. I have seen this ruling called 4 times, I thought the fly ball had to be inside the bases. But on all four of these call, either the short stop or second base was in the grass trying to catch the ball. Two of these call, the ball was not caught.

Another call I seen 3 times was on droped 3rd strike. The ball would hit the ground in front of the catcher where she would have to block the ball. The batter would run to first and be safe. Has the ruleing been changed also. I always thought the ball had to be droped or poped out of the catcher mitt for it to be called a droped 3rd strike.

Am I missing something or has these rulings been changed. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if the infield fly call has changed. In the last 2 tourneys I have attented. I have seen this ruling called 4 times, I thought the fly ball had to be inside the bases. But on all four of these call, either the short stop or second base was in the grass trying to catch the ball. Two of these call, the ball was not caught.

Another call I seen 3 times was on droped 3rd strike. The ball would hit the ground in front of the catcher where she would have to block the ball. The batter would run to first and be safe. Has the ruleing been changed also. I always thought the ball had to be droped or poped out of the catcher mitt for it to be called a droped 3rd strike.

Am I missing something or has these rulings been changed. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Infield fly is a pop up that can or should be caught by an infielder or even an outfeilder that is close to the infield with runners on first and second or first second and third with less than 2 outs it is to protect the runners and the offense from the double play the play is not dead and the runners can advance on their own

if the balll hits the ground it is not caught...so if hit skip on the ground and into the mitt the batter must be thrown out or tagged out if there are 2 outs or less than 2 outs and no one on firstand these rules have been like this forever

Infield fly is a pop up that can or should be caught by an infielder or even an outfeilder that is close to the infield with runners on first and second or first second and third with less than 2 outs it is to protect the runners and the offense from the double play the play is not dead and the runners can advance on their own

if the balll hits the ground it is not caught...so if hit skip on the ground and into the mitt the batter must be thrown out or tagged out if there are 2 outs or less than 2 outs and no one on firstand these rules have been like this forever

Thanks riverdaleman. Maybe these old eyes are missing something, Now to get umpires to know where the runners are and how high the pop fly is. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thanks riverdaleman. Maybe these old eyes are missing something, Now to get umpires to know where the runners are and how high the pop fly is. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It is a judgement call gotte remeber we are protecting runners in that situation if a player should be able to camp under it the it should be called with no problem I know the iffy ones you are talking about and they are tough to call and sometimes behind the plate the depth of the fly ball takes a moment to judge and by then you are too late ( I imagine softball is tougher because the infield is so short)

It is a judgement call gotte remeber we are protecting runners in that situation if a player should be able to camp under it the it should be called with no problem I know the iffy ones you are talking about and they are tough to call and sometimes behind the plate the depth of the fly ball takes a moment to judge and by then you are too late ( I imagine softball is tougher because the infield is so short)

Thanks again . I have been involved with fastpich starting in the late 1950. I guess I am getting older and my old eyes can't keep up. I understand what you saying about protecting these girls, Like on the droped third strike, I wish the umps would pay attention to how many outs and how many runners are on base.. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder??”not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire??™s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire??™s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk.

Note: Infield Fly only applies on fair balls. If the ball is dropped in foul territory, then it's just a foul ball.

"Infield Fly if Fair!!

A pitched ball that hits the dirt is not a clean catch.

If 1st base is occupied they don't have to throw unless there are two outs. Must tag or throw the runner out for 3rd out.

If 1st base is not occupied, they must tag or throw the runner out any other time.

Did I repeat what you said? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have seen a play where the ump called infield fly as soon as he saw it going up...that runner had not left the box. As it turned out the ball kept going up and out and landed between shortstop and the outfielder for what should have been a hit. When asked between innings the ump said he called it to soon. Saw a different crew the other night wait a long time to call one that was caught at second. Some fans were fussing about the delay call. What's a poor ump to do... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Infield fly is hard to call. Umpires have to call it in plenty of time so everyone knows what??™s going on, they can't wait to see if it's in dirt. I have called infield fly many times and it be right outside the infield, it is a judgment call and you only have a few seconds to make it. Some times you nail it and sometimes they are a little deeper than you thought. It is a tough call. Even on an IF runners can make things happen if the ball is not caught.

Dropped third strike is pretty simple, if it hits dirt before it hits the catchers??™ glove, it gets by her or if she drops it with less than two out and 1st base un occupied they runner can run. If a runner is on 1st, offensively I hope the catcher is not paying attention and I send my girl on to 2nd and get a steal. The batter is out anyway she just kind of creates a diversion. I can't do it on sharp catchers though. lol Alright, here is another one. On a drop 3rd strike with two outs the runner can go regardless if the base is occupied or not. I know it's confusing but the easiest way to remember is you have to physically make the 3rd out. You have to tag her or get it to the base first. So many people argue about the 3rd out/drop 3rd strike.

I have seen a play where the ump called infield fly as soon as he saw it going up...that runner had not left the box. As it turned out the ball kept going up and out and landed between shortstop and the outfielder for what should have been a hit. When asked between innings the ump said he called it to soon. Saw a different crew the other night wait a long time to call one that was caught at second. Some fans were fussing about the delay call. What's a poor ump to do... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I have seen this happen a lot but it is like a double edge sword, you wait then you get yelled at and if you call it early you take a chance on it being a good hit ball and still get yelled at. At least he admitted he called it too soon, not many people like to admit they are wrong. I??™m guessing he was probably a good ump.

I have made some bone head calls before, I remember when I first started to Ump and one of the first calls of the game I said out but threw the safe sign. She was out but my actions showed different, that was not my most shinning monent.lol After that I always had a 2-3 second delay on all my calls to make sure I saw it completely and let it register before I called.

Infield fly is hard to call. Umpires have to call it in plenty of time so everyone knows what??™s going on, they can't wait to see if it's in dirt. I have called infield fly many times and it be right outside the infield, it is a judgment call and you only have a few seconds to make it. Some times you nail it and sometimes they are a little deeper than you thought. It is a tough call. Even on an IF runners can make things happen if the ball is not caught.

Dropped third strike is pretty simple, if it hits dirt before it hits the catchers??™ glove, it gets by her or if she drops it with less than two out and 1st base un occupied they runner can run. If a runner is on 1st, offensively I hope the catcher is not paying attention and I send my girl on to 2nd and get a steal. The batter is out anyway she just kind of creates a diversion. I can't do it on sharp catchers though. lol Alright, here is another one. On a drop 3rd strike with two outs the runner can go regardless if the base is occupied or not. I know it's confusing but the easiest way to remember is you have to physically make the 3rd out. You have to tag her or get it to the base first. So many people argue about the 3rd out/drop 3rd strike.

It is a hard judgement call, but being in or out of the infield dirt has nothing to do with it.

You could have an infielder playing deep and a fly ball could be caught with ordinary effort several steps in the grass.

It's simply could/should it be caught with ordinary effort.

It is a hard judgement call, but being in or out of the infield dirt has nothing to do with it.

You could have an infielder playing deep and a fly ball could be caught with ordinary effort several steps in the grass.

It's simply could/should it be caught with ordinary effort.

Your right but spectators mostly think that if it hits dirt that's what makes the difference.

Your right but spectators mostly think that if it hits dirt that's what makes the difference.

Yep.........all those really good umps in the stands. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Let me share what I think is a funny story from about 40 years ago.

My uncle was a TSSAA official, ump, and ref for a really long long time.

Anyway when I was kid he took me and his son to a baseball game he was calling.

There was this guy that was just getting on him every pitch, every play, every call.

In about the 3rd inning he called TIME!

Took off his mask and made his way outside the fence, walked to the stands, went into the stands, sit down next to the guy, looked at him and said......................

Man, you're right; you can see better from here.

PLAY BALL!

The guy was really embarrassed. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />