Oakland High School

MidTennFootball

http://www.t-g.com/story/1530733.html

Extenuating circumstances?? How about he loves Shelbyville, both the school and the city, and he wants to continue to build something very special. This article puts it perfectly. The grass is not always greener on the other side and money is not always the answer. Plus, these two programs are right about at the same level and he's got a good bit of talent returning. Why bother? He's got it made where he is. Looks like he made the right choice for himself and his family.

read the article attached and thought it was a good article just one problem. the writer says that thomas is building a resume comparable to kings... well unless thomas goes about 320-40 over the next 15 seasons i dont think that will happen. lol.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extenuating circumstances?? How about he loves Shelbyville, both the school and the city, and he wants to continue to build something very special. This article puts it perfectly. The grass is not always greener on the other side and money is not always the answer. Plus, these two programs are right about at the same level and he's got a good bit of talent returning. Why bother? He's got it made where he is. Looks like he made the right choice for himself and his family.

I'm a boro guy and have seen upclose what Thomas has done at Shelbyville. I like him a whole lot and wish him the best of luck. Any possibility that he is setting up to follow Andrews to the college ranks?

read the article attached and thought it was a good article just one problem. the writer says that thomas is building a resume comparable to kings... well unless thomas goes about 320-40 over the next 15 seasons i dont think that will happen. lol.

Why can't that happen? If he's planning on being there for the long haul and his program continues on the level it has over the last six or seven years, why wouldn't his resume be comparable to King's? Your argument is short-sided because of his age and head coaching experience compared to King's. This just in, there is a fairly big age gap and experience gap, one that Thomas can do nothing about. His resume speaks for itself since coming to Shelbyville and he's well on his way to leaving a lasting legacy just like King did. Unlike you, I think that could very well happen.

Why can't that happen? If he's planning on being there for the long haul and his program continues on the level it has over the last six or seven years, why wouldn't his resume be comparable to King's? Your argument is short-sided because of his age and head coaching experience compared to King's. This just in, there is a fairly big age gap and experience gap, one that Thomas can do nothing about. His resume speaks for itself since coming to Shelbyville and he's well on his way to leaving a lasting legacy just like King did. Unlike you, I think that could very well happen.

Coach King posted an increditable record but I also think coach Thomas has a chance to have an overall record comparable to Kings.

I think at one point he and the Eagles won 50 plus district games in a row.

If he is just 38, he could coach another 20 plus years easy if he wants to.

I never said, he didnt love Shelbyville. However, i think it was off the court issues from making KT to Oakland a reality. I think at this point, Oakland just needs to blow up the search and start from square 1. Still alot of good coaches out there. I would not be suprised to see Michael Couey as the front-runner at this point.

That comment about Kevin following Andrews to the college ranks, Kevin would have been better off to take the Oakland job unless he wants to follow Andrews to a juco or prep school. Andrews has a big issue with his grades. He is a good performer on the court, but lousy or should i say lazy in the classroom.From what i hear he don't even try.

If that is true, then do they start over or go down towards the list til someones says they will take it?

It is true that the job was down to two people....Aaron Green and Kevin Thomas. From what I have been told they were going to bring both of them back for second interviews. On Tuesday morning Green withdrew his name as a candidate. Once Green withdrew his name Oakland then offered the position to Kevin Thomas.

I also heard that Green was the leading candidate up until he withdrew his name. Either way, Oakland missed out on two quality coaches.

why are so many people turning down this job???? maybe people see why King left, this program has fallen in trouble I think??? King saw that there was no talent in the cup board and left and the canidates see the same.....just an observation!!

Talent comes and goes. I think Aaron Green was never going to be the right fit at Oakland and it would be hard for KT to leave Shelbyville under any circumstances. Sometimes, coaching searches dont go as planned, but regardless, Oakland is still a pretty good job. Oakland may not have as much talent as they have had over the long haul, but it is still enough to be successful. With the right coach, Oakland can eventually become a better program than what King left it in, IMO. Still out of big names in play out there. Troy Bond just resigned from WC last week, so wouldnt be shocked to see him get a call, but a this point, I would like to see Oakland make a move to hire Michael Couey, if Oakland is going to struggle, I would rather it be with someone that Oakland can grow with and know without a shadow of a doubt that Oakland is where he wants to be.

I have a friend in high school coaching, whose team went to the state tournament last year and would have certainly gotten an interview had he applied. When I asked him why he wouldn't go after this job, he told me that there wasn't a lot of talent coming up. They say you don't want to be the guy who replaces the guy. I feel that King's legacy may scare off potential applicants.