Best pitchers in the state?

giggles98

Below is the list of teams at Franklin. Not bashing but I do not see this as one of the stronger fields of the year. Does look like a good tourament for A teams.

Pool A

1 Brentwood

2 Harpeth Hall

3 Sycamore

4 Science Hill

Pool B

1 Goodpasture

2 Page

3 Columbia Academy

4 Elizabethton

Pool C

1 Collierville

2 Franklin

3 East Lit

4 Coalfield

Pool D

1 Ravenwood

2 Huntland

3 Harpeth

4 Chattanooga Christian

Pool E

1 Houston Germantown

2 Fairview

3 Nashville Christian

4 Friendship Christian

Pool F

1 Trinity Christian

2 Marion County

3 Creek Wood

4 BGA

If you take Trinity Christian, Goodpasture & maybe one or two other's out of this tournament it becomes very week. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken, is it not impossible for 2 teams NOT to come out of the East? We all hear about this girl or that girl throwing in the "mid 60's" and it is just not true. I can name the girls in this state who throw in the "mid 60's" and trust me......there are only a few.

AAU? Are you serious?

Agreed!

If mid sixties is means 65 or higher....then I am not aware of any this year who get there and I have seen 90% of them.

My favorite quote regarding speed..."It's not how fast a pitcher can make the ball move TOWARD the bat, but how fast the pitcher can make the ball move AWAY from the bat".

Now if you happen to get both in one pitcher, then you have something special.

Agreed!

If mid sixties is means 65 or higher....then I am not aware of any this year who get there and I have seen 90% of them.

My favorite quote regarding speed..."It's not how fast a pitcher can make the ball move TOWARD the bat, but how fast the pitcher can make the ball move AWAY from the bat".

The Lebanon pitcher might be throwing 60. I also have not seen any pitcher throwing in the mid 60s.

Agreed!

I agree with you. To be a good solid pitcher you must have much more than speed.

I think my comment was not stated very clearly. We are located in Upper East TN and it is pretty rare for teams to come out of Region One and make it to the State Playoffs. I know for a fact that when NGHS made it last year, they were the first team from Greene County to ever make it. I tend to be a little over protective I guess. I just think that a lot of times teams from Upper East TN are over looked, even Unicoi, Elizabethton, North Greene, and Unaka. These girls work hard too.

Now for the person who made the comment about the AAU, I have one question for you....... where would these teams be if it weren't travel ball and AAU? With new restrictions that are being increased every year, coaches are having their hands tied tighter and tighter everyday. Travel ball and AAU are a blessing!!

I agree with you. To be a good solid pitcher you must have much more than speed.

I think my comment was not stated very clearly. We are located in Upper East TN and it is pretty rare for teams to come out of Region One and make it to the State Playoffs. I know for a fact that when NGHS made it last year, they were the first team from Greene County to ever make it. I tend to be a little over protective I guess. I just think that a lot of times teams from Upper East TN are over looked, even Unicoi, Elizabethton, North Greene, and Unaka. These girls work hard too.

Now for the person who made the comment about the AAU, I have one question for you....... where would these teams be if it weren't travel ball and AAU? With new restrictions that are being increased every year, coaches are having their hands tied tighter and tighter everyday. Travel ball and AAU are a blessing!!

Are you sure you don't mean ASA?

I agree, there is more to pitching than speed!!! Movement is so important. Also without a change-up or offspeed pitch, they can just sit on the fast ball all day long.

No question they are working hard and they are getting better and better up that way. The problem is that historically the 1A teams from Regions 1 and 2 have gone into the state tourney and have been beaten up. Sometimes they came in with nice records and then teams from middle TN or the Chatt area would trounce them. Some of those teams that made the state from upper East TN wouldn't have even finished in the top half of some of the other TN districts. That creates some resentment from some teams that play in the tougher Regions. However, that seems to be slowly changing as softball gets better in NE TN, so keep your head up and keep working.

No question they are working hard and they are getting better and better up that way. The problem is that historically the 1A teams from Regions 1 and 2 have gone into the state tourney and have been beaten up. Sometimes they came in with nice records and then teams from middle TN or the Chatt area would trounce them. Some of those teams that made the state from upper East TN wouldn't have even finished in the top half of some of the other TN districts. That creates some resentment from some teams that play in the tougher Regions. However, that seems to be slowly changing as softball gets better in NE TN, so keep your head up and keep working.

Well Thank you. I appreciate your honesty and you are correct. In the past they have gotten there only to beaten down by much better teams. I know that the coach from North Greene said last year after they returned from the Spring Fling that the first team they played was incredible. They also had 2 out of the park home runs against the second team they played. Not to shabby. They were beaten 10-5. Anyway, she said that they had not seen pitching comparable to what they saw there. It was a completely different level of play. Yes, they along with several othe NE TN teams are working hard to build a better program.

Yes I did mean ASA. Sorry about that!

Using the AAU as a measuring stick could be part of the problem................ /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> May be clouding your judgement a little.

Using the AAU as a measuring stick could be part of the problem................ /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> May be clouding your judgement a little.

There is obviously no reason to argue or to try to pursuade you to at least a little more open minded. It is very clear that you will continue to see things your way, which obviously you believe is the only way. You know what? That is okay, too. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Good or bad that is all it is, an opinion. However, I would like to say in my defense that I am by no means using AAU as measuring stick. I am just of the opinion that it is a wonderful tool in a bag of many, that is all.

There is obviously no reason to argue or to try to pursuade you to at least a little more open minded. It is very clear that you will continue to see things your way, which obviously you believe is the only way. You know what? That is okay, too. I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Good or bad that is all it is, an opinion. However, I would like to say in my defense that I am by no means using AAU as measuring stick. I am just of the opinion that it is a wonderful tool in a bag of many, that is all.

I also agree with "hssportsfan" and I am VERY open minded. I NEVER said anything about the level of play in the east. You were the one who got offended when I mentioned "east tn". It just seems like you all have "alot" of girls up there throwing in the mid 60's.

Hey blueladysuzie,

I wouldn't put much stock in what STL has to say....... He speaks of domination in his area, but yet his travel team organization cant beat a team comprised of NE Tenn/SW VA, NW NC girls........

http://www.usfastpitch.com/national/2007ws/aworld.htm

http://www.usfastpitch.com/national/2007ws/a/14u-a-1.jpg

Look who finished first in the 14U A and look who tied for 33rd......... HMMMMM........