Babe Ruth Coaches

DUDE, I believe I already apologized to limbaugh, and no I believe I 'll stay where I'm out, and my point again - let's keep going back to Lebanon vs. Cookeville. This stuff has already been talked about. I think you fellows need to get a life, and stay off of coacht, it's really getting to your head!!!!

1. Did not see the apology, so I was just sticking up for a friend.

2. I have a life. Just staying around the house this weekend, since that is what they are requesting here in Murfreesboro to avoid congestion while cleaning up.

3. Looks like it is your head it is getting to, since you had never posted before this topic and you have now posted 7 times on one topic. You might want to go check on that little sheep out back, it's probably starting to miss you. That's a joke, so don't think I was getting all personal and talking about people that own sheep or anything. Best of luck to your Babe Ruth team this year!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you haven't.

There has been a handful of Coach Chaffin 'bashers' on here for years.

I became aware of it a few years ago during a summer tournament when someone remarked to someone else how Coach Chaffin played favorites, that their son should be the starting 3rd baseman but Coach Chaffin liked the other third baseman better so he got to play.

That other third baseman, Coach Chaffin's 'favorite'? Reeder named A-Sun Player of the Week, Bo Reeder.

Here is Bo's bio: Baseball - Player Bio Bo Reeder

That told me all I needed to know about the talent judging level of some of Coach Chaffin's fans... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Some of us here are just trying to provide some levity and trying to illustrate how off some peoples' views may be.

I suggest you go back to some old threads and look at the context of some of our remarks. But from the tone of your posts and some of your comments, I am afraid you have already formed some opinions and plan to stick to them. I hope that is not the case.

I hope the Easter Bunny was good to you and your Babe Ruth team has a great season...

i have never denied that bo reeder wasnt one of the best players to come out of cookeville. i do know how and have judged talent for years, mostly what i have said is everybody that is around chaffin(away from cookeville) in any other setting other than with him hands on running his program will have a different opinion of him. yes you go to meetings with him (away from running the nuts and bolts hands on running of his program)and he talks a great game. but day to day is a different thing. I think my first post was ly when he had one of the strongest teams from top to bottom and never utilized them. and i am glad you stick up for your friend, you must be one on the ten he is always talking about. but with the talent in cookeville if played he would compete every year for the district title. but look what happened in district tournament and region last yr. yes he has a young team this yr but talented and could make some noise in district tournament, but with his history of not putting the best on the field in the best positions to help him win makes us wonder. if he coached more like he taught i think he would be a better coach

My hats off to anyone who gives their time freely for the good of the kids. Shame on anyone that bashes these coaches.

I agree that anyone who volunteers to coach should not be bashed. Little League and Babe Ruth are leagues for everyone to play. The disadvantage in these leagues is that coaches spend 80% of their time on the 20% that will never be able to play competitive baseball. And I do not have a problem with that.

Somehow there should be an accomodation for the 20% of players that have a chance of playing well at the next level. And I don't know what the answer is to that.

Traveling ball tries to accomodate these players, but some kids get left out due to the associated costs. High school should be the answer, but there seems to be a lot of politics associated with high school. I've seen a lot of untalented players promoted through school ball, while many talented players are not given the opportunities to show their skills. I've seen a lot of players that look great in practice, but can't compete against talented competition. And I've seen other players that don't look that impressive, but when the ocassion arises they can get the clutch hit, make the crucial play, or take the extra base.

Probably the best answer is showcase camps. Again the money eliminates many, but at least you are paying an unbiased observer to look at the player.

This is my first post. I wasn't never planning on posting anything, but I read something the other day that really ticked me off. Yeah, SlingBlade7, I didn't like the way that you referred to Babe Ruth Coaches as "Guru's" and the way that you were bad-mouthing the Dad's for being Babe Ruth Coaches. I don't no what a Guru is, but it was very sarcastic in the way that you said it. Not all BR coaches have sons playing in the league. I have been a BR coach for the past 18 years and I have no sons, but I do have great respect for the Dad's also that do it. We spend every summer with these boys, and do it for FREEEEE!!!!! We do it for our love for the boys and the game of baseball. I myself coach Babe Ruth, because I look at it as a honor and a privilege, and don't expect anything in return, except hoping my boys have fun each summer. You high school coaches ought to commend us Babe Ruth coaches, instead of bad-mouthing us, for giving your boys the extra practice and playing every summer to make them become better ball players for your high school teams.

Also, and I guess it was alright for you guys to get on there and get your digs in about that Coach Chaffin, saying, well is he going to play his worst nine or best nine? and then you coming back with "yeah it could go Good, Bad, Good, OK, Good, Bad, Good, Great, or Best and yeah with him you never know" Seems to me like you all don't think he is that great either, kinda like you think this coach really don't think he knows what he is doing. So don't get mad, and get your shots in with the other people that also want to say things. Just like the one person said you don't see and know everything that goes on behind the scene. "Remember That"

Wow! Do you need a hug?

This is my first post (which you can probably tell since I flubbed my first attempt) but I could no longer stand to not respond to some of the post on this forum. First let me say that I am from Cookeville. To some of the others from Cookeville that post items such as their frustrations with budget issues, please don't air our dirty laundry here. If you have legitmate concerns please voice them in our booster meetings as you had the opportunity to do so. As for Coach Chaffin, I may not agree with his every decision but since his baseball resume is far more extensive then mine, I give him the benefit of the doubt. No good for our kids or our program can come from constantly bashing our coach. It only makes us look silly to the rest of the baseball world.

My first post on the lebanon vs. cookeville was all that i was going to say and it would have ended with that, but it's like the utvols man said, and I am glad that he pointed that out, i never thought about it that way, but he even noticed how these lebanon and riverdale guys provoke us to keep saying things about coach chaffin. you may have missed the first booster club meeting, where chaffin told all the parents that he doesn't want to listen to anything that they have got to say, and that their opinions and suggestions don't mean anything to him and he is not going to listen to it. basically saying it's his way or the highway. so why would parents bother bringing up anything at these meetings? yeah, like you said, we have dirty laundry alright!

I was just browsing the baseball section of coacht when i saw this topic (normally on the wrestling section). I played almost every level of baseball except pro. As in all sports and all levels you are going to have good and bad coachs. Disrespecting a coach at any level is terrible. Many high school coachs are there because they are a teacher and may have less experiance than a Babe Ruth or travel ball coach with a different profession. That good and bad lineup always occurs in baseball due to who's pitching or who your playing ,could be due to injury or discipline or even to see if kids can fill different roles for your team. Babe Ruth or travel ball is where kids develope and coach's experiment. A good travel coach may work closely with the high school coach to prepare kids for the next season by preparing them for a position change. The biggest problem with most people that complain about coaching and lineups is that they don't see the big picture or have all the information the coach does. Calling a high school coach a professional coach because they get a stipend is a gross overstatement. Alot of their stipend is for maintaining their ballfield and equipment and their job doesn't always depend on their win/ loss record. I was surprised to see a section on Babe Ruth coachs in the high school section because they can really be two very different levels. The best coach I ever had was an ex major league player who had a son on my team when i was 12.

1. Did not see the apology, so I was just sticking up for a friend.

2. I have a life. Just staying around the house this weekend, since that is what they are requesting here in Murfreesboro to avoid congestion while cleaning up.

3. Looks like it is your head it is getting to, since you had never posted before this topic and you have now posted 7 times on one topic. You might want to go check on that little sheep out back, it's probably starting to miss you. That's a joke, so don't think I was getting all personal and talking about people that own sheep or anything. Best of luck to your Babe Ruth team this year!

Boy, i don't think that i would have made that comment. some people might think you like your sheep a little to well. does yours miss you! you know what i mean!

Boy, i don't think that i would have made that comment. some people might think you like your sheep a little to well. does yours miss you! you know what i mean!

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />