Powell Spring of 09

FootballDad

I'm trying to keep up with my boys in Powell and can't find any info on here. Maybe I've just missed it. When does spring practice start? What does the roster look like? Same coaching staff or any changes? New comers to watch? Projections for the year? White or black cleats ? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Let me hear something....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to keep up with my boys in Powell and can't find any info on here. Maybe I've just missed it. When does spring practice start? What does the roster look like? Same coaching staff or any changes? New comers to watch? Projections for the year? White or black cleats ? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Let me hear something....

Practice begins, if memory serves, May 4. The major spring scrimmage will be against Bearden, most likely at Bearden since the Powell stadium is in the process of being torn down and the new one errected.

There is one open slot on the coaching staff, which had not yet been filled the last time I asked Coach Lowe about it a couple of weeks ago.

As far as roster, newcomers, and your other questions, those are question to be answered in spring practice, summer workouts, and pre-season practice. Some players will likely miss spring drills due to their involvement in baseball and track.

As far as roster, newcomers, and your other questions, those are question to be answered in spring practice, summer workouts, and pre-season practice. Some players will likely miss spring drills due to their involvement in baseball and track.

Come on now HTV, thats no fun. That "I've gotta watch the film" approach is as boring as being politically correct. Can't you at least speculate just a bit? If you can't comment due to contractual limitations /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> , then maybe some of the other members of the Panther Nation can help you out.

I know what you said is true about answering questions, but how about some hypothesis then? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Come on now HTV, thats no fun. That "I've gotta watch the film" approach is as boring as being politically correct. Can't you at least speculate just a bit? If you can't comment due to contractual limitations /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> , then maybe some of the other members of the Panther Nation can help you out.

I know what you said is true about answering questions, but how about some hypothesis then? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Really not trying to be evasive, but there just isn't a basis to even begin discussing things until work actually begins on the field. With as many open spots as there are and as many quality athletes as there are to fill them there is no way to even begin to speculate who will end up where, and especially with Powell two platooning like they do. I don't think it has even been determined who will be on which side of the ball yet. That's what spring practice is for.

I do believe that the rising sophomore and junior classes are loaded with good athetes who are also good football players. That's not to say the senior class doesn't have its share of players, too, but the sophomore/junior classes are especially talented. I'm anxious to see how that translates on the field in the new district format.

Here's how things look going into spring:

Quarterback: Hodge, looked good on JV, unproven on V.

Running back: Mobley, looked good as a freshman with the varsity.

Recievers: Only Powell comes back, the other spots appear to be up in the air. There's supposed to be a baseball player who is expected to be a good wideout.

O line: Austin Smith, Usery, and Mike Norman return after starting all or part of the year.

D line: Steve Ross, Austin Benson and Tony Foster are two juniors and a sophomore that look like they can play. Steven Slagle and Waters also look good, but only Benson and Foster have much varsity experience.

linebackers: Petree, Webb and Cook return as starters.

LB/DB: Dalton James started last year and the other kid played a lot.

DB: Matt Meade, a junior, will move from corner to safety. The other DB spots are up in the air.

What's it mean? What HTV said. Powell has a lot of talented kids who haven't played a lot so the spring will be very important.

Now your talking. I recognize several names mentioned and it does sound like Powell will have many good athletes to put on the field. I know several of those players have played together many years on rec league teams and were successful. I'm anxious to see how your spring practice goes and who emerges as leaders, go to players, surprise players, etc...

So in other words they are young and look to be pretty good and they have a long way to go...hello spring practice are to find the 2 deep and put the others on JV.

Pretty much, with the exception that a larger than normal number of last year's sophomore class, those who will be juniors in the fall, saw significant playing time as sophomores. While there will be quite a few new starters, most of those guys have been on the field for snaps that meant something already. It's not necessarily that they have a long way to go, but more that it is still not certain who will be playing where.

What will the new stadium look like? Will it be larger than the old one, and will the stands still just be on one side?

The stadium capacity will be considerably higher when the new stadium is completed. There will be seating on both the home and the visiting sidelines.

The demolition of the old stadium structure was completed last week and the foundation for the new structure is in the process of being laid. The Powell High football family appears to be very excited about having a modern facility to call home.