Powell Spring of 09

FootballDad

Does anyone know if the new stadium will have a "tunnel" like the old one? For years Powell has had one of the better openings of a high school football game in the area with the players running out across the track. Hopefully that will get to continue.

That is the plan, again as I understand it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observations from the Bearden scrimmage tonight:

Powell's defense is improved. Lots of depth, especially in the DL and LB corp. Liked the look of the 4-3 cover 2 whenever the DC mixed that look in, still primarily in a 3-5. First series the D looked shaky as Bearden sliced through and scored easily. After that the D settled down and was more stingy. Should be a solid defensive unit by this fall. Only reservation is that Bearden looked weak offensively. Of course their playmaker, D.Young, didn't play. Powell will definitely face better offenses this fall, but I still believe the D will be the strength of the team this year.

Powell's offense certainly needs more work. But that is usually the case in spring practice, especially with a new QB and many of the receivers being new as well. The snaps from center were a problem tonight, with the QB having to scoop snaps off the ground or leap and catch them above his head. Completely destroys your timing. I'm not sure how many OL were not there tonight, but the unit as a whole performed poorly. On a few occassions it looked as if the Bearden DL got to the QB almost as fast as the ball did. There were some nice throws and catches and a couple of good runs, but not enough to feel good about the offense just yet. The #2's and #3's had some yardage, mostly from QB scrambles, but still a work in progress. Way too many negative yardage plays.

I would say the scrimmage overall was probably a draw.

I thought the defense played extremely well after the first three plays. I don't know what happened after Bearden went 70 yards easily the first time, but after that I think Powell's starting defense allowed only one more first down. Playing Bearden without Devron Young is like playing the Colts without Peyton Manning, but overall I would give the defense a B plus or an A minus.

Hopefully the offense will get some help on the line . . . a lot of help. Hunter Hodge had very little time to throw and Dyshawn Mobley didn't have very many holes to run through and often had to get away from defenders behind the line of scrimmage. The snaps were an issue for every center that played with the exception of No. 67, who snapped very well but only played late in the scrimmage. The receivers looked better than they had in practice with only a couple of drops.

Overall I thought the scrimmage was positive for Powell. After an offensive series where you lose 18 yards and three plays on defense where you give up 70 it looked bad to begin with, but after that I thought most of the players with the exception of the O-line got better.

I was optomistically encouraged after the scrimmage last night. Once the shock of real gamelike action set in after the first series, both the offense and defense settled in and made some plays.

As has been posted, there is still considerable work to do in the OL, but that will come. I was very surprised how well the WRs caught the football, given that it had been a struggle to do so thus far in the spring. I thought the QB play was good with both guys, given the limitations of staying basic in play calling and the no contact orange jersey that Hunter wore.

Defensively, again after the first series, they played really well, especially in the front 7/8, depending on which set they were in. The DBs made some plays, but it looks like there is still going to be some major competition for one of the corner spots. I feel very good about the DL/LB corps, and especially after getting Colby back from baseball. The defense has an opportunity to be very good.

All in all, considering the number of starters that the Panthers lost, the positives far outweighed the negatives from what I observed.

Bearden, which I still hold a soft spot for given that it is my alma mater, has some good looking athletes. Add Young back to the mix and they will cause problems for opponents. If they can find a QB that will make good decisions and not make major mistakes they can be very competitive in their district.

Here's my thoughts on Powell coming out of spring practice:

Quarterback: Hunter Hodge looks fine, had a good spring game and scrimmage against Bearden. Dustin McFetridge (?) is an excellent runner and athlete that needs to be on the field somewhere. I think he would be a good fit at receiver and still play backup quarterback.

Running backs: Dyshawn Mobley is going to be good and potentially very good. Darian Logan is the fastest kid on the team and the coaches need to figure ways to get him the ball. Jose Pelosios missed the spring because of illness and that's going to set him back. He looked good on the JV last year.

Receivers: Much better coming out of the spring than they were going into it. Only one drop on either side during the black and white game, with Tyler Powell looking much improved over last year. Zack Pelser had a good spring as did Dustin Wood and Landon Wright. Jeremiah Catlett may be the second fastest player on the team and after looking shaky catching the ball much of the spring looked good at Bearden and again on Friday.

Offensive line: A long way to go. Three fulltime or partime starters are back from last year but as a group they looked shaky at times and struggled at Bearden. Ussery, Norman and Smith are locks to start and converted DE Tyler Waters only had four days on the OL during the spring but has potential.

Overall the offense is very young and they are not going to be as dynamic as last year even if they line improves.

Defense:

DL: This group could be outstanding. Although undersized, they can all run and appear to be in good shape. Hunter Cook's move from LB to DE seems to be working out well and Tony Foster at nose could be the team's lone D-I prospect. He's already big and fast and only 15 years old. Austin Benson and Stephen Ross are both very fast and disruptive.

LB: The deepest group on the team, you have six guys who can play pretty well. Cameron Petree looks much improved inthe middle and Stephen Slagle also looks good in the middle. Mobley could be a better linebacker than running back and Kolby Skeen looks like a lineman playing linebacker and has the speed to do it. James Duran and the transfer from Clinton also looked good in the spring and Nick Webb, last year's starter at outside, missed the spring because of baseball.

DB: Young and inexperienced, but again potentially very good. All three of the starters are good tacklers. Matt Meade's move from corner to safety should payoff because he probably knows the game better than most players his age. He will not be the bigtime run stuffer safety like Cardio last year, but should be much better in pass coverage. DJ Hamilton is a senior moved from receiver and Jonathan Staggs is a sophomore that looks very good. This group isn't as fast as last year, but again they are better tacklers.

Overall it adds up to who knows. Clinton is clearly going to be the class of the district with all the talent they have on offense. Hardin Valley is unknown, Anderson County and Oak Ridge have new coaches and who knows what impact that will have there. I think you can take Campbell County, Halls, Central, Karns and Powell and put big question marks beside all of them going into the season.

Here's my thoughts on Powell coming out of spring practice:

Quarterback: Hunter Hodge looks fine, had a good spring game and scrimmage against Bearden. Dustin McFetridge (?) is an excellent runner and athlete that needs to be on the field somewhere. I think he would be a good fit at receiver and still play backup quarterback.

Running backs: Dyshawn Mobley is going to be good and potentially very good. Darian Logan is the fastest kid on the team and the coaches need to figure ways to get him the ball. Jose Pelosios missed the spring because of illness and that's going to set him back. He looked good on the JV last year.

Receivers: Much better coming out of the spring than they were going into it. Only one drop on either side during the black and white game, with Tyler Powell looking much improved over last year. Zack Pelser had a good spring as did Dustin Wood and Landon Wright. Jeremiah Catlett may be the second fastest player on the team and after looking shaky catching the ball much of the spring looked good at Bearden and again on Friday.

Offensive line: A long way to go. Three fulltime or partime starters are back from last year but as a group they looked shaky at times and struggled at Bearden. Ussery, Norman and Smith are locks to start and converted DE Tyler Waters only had four days on the OL during the spring but has potential.

Overall the offense is very young and they are not going to be as dynamic as last year even if they line improves.

Defense:

DL: This group could be outstanding. Although undersized, they can all run and appear to be in good shape. Hunter Cook's move from LB to DE seems to be working out well and Tony Foster at nose could be the team's lone D-I prospect. He's already big and fast and only 15 years old. Austin Benson and Stephen Ross are both very fast and disruptive.

LB: The deepest group on the team, you have six guys who can play pretty well. Cameron Petree looks much improved inthe middle and Stephen Slagle also looks good in the middle. Mobley could be a better linebacker than running back and Kolby Skeen looks like a lineman playing linebacker and has the speed to do it. James Duran and the transfer from Clinton also looked good in the spring and Nick Webb, last year's starter at outside, missed the spring because of baseball.

DB: Young and inexperienced, but again potentially very good. All three of the starters are good tacklers. Matt Meade's move from corner to safety should payoff because he probably knows the game better than most players his age. He will not be the bigtime run stuffer safety like Cardio last year, but should be much better in pass coverage. DJ Hamilton is a senior moved from receiver and Jonathan Staggs is a sophomore that looks very good. This group isn't as fast as last year, but again they are better tacklers.

Overall it adds up to who knows. Clinton is clearly going to be the class of the district with all the talent they have on offense. Hardin Valley is unknown, Anderson County and Oak Ridge have new coaches and who knows what impact that will have there. I think you can take Campbell County, Halls, Central, Karns and Powell and put big question marks beside all of them going into the season.

Hey Bubba, you forgot to break down the cheerleaders, dance sqad & the band. Also, give us some insight into the concession stand workers and the play by play radio announcers. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Just messing with ya man, nice break down.

Hey Bubba, you forgot to break down the cheerleaders, dance sqad & the band. Also, give us some insight into the concession stand workers and the play by play radio announcers. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Just messing with ya man, nice break down.

Bubba, Dad - y'all need to do something about that radio guy. Maybe you can run him out of town for a while or or something. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Bubba, Dad - y'all need to do something about that radio guy. Maybe you can run him out of town for a while or or something. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Hey guys Powell lost their whole offense in Kier Houston and I have heard that Mobley is ineligible so that will not be good for Powell...any info there? Their defense will have to carry them bc their offense will not be as good as it was last year...what do you all think?

Hey guys Powell lost their whole offense in Kier Houston and I have heard that Mobley is ineligible so that will not be good for Powell...any info there? Their defense will have to carry them bc their offense will not be as good as it was last year...what do you all think?

I think Powell averages at least 14 less points a game just from losing Houston. Houston was a very big part of Powell's offence and it will be very hard to replace a player like that.

There was a covert mission underway to persuade him to leave, but it was discovered that Jimmy Sexton was his agent and that the buyout clause in his contract required a large lump sum payout. When a few boosters were approached about coming up with the cash they refused to fork over a penny, but a couple did offer a free potato sack ride in the back of their pickup truck down to the edge of Beaver Creek. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Kier was a playmaker for sure, but to say he was the entire offense would undermine the success of a very good receiver corp last year. This year they will be breaking in a new QB, and also a new receiver corp. Thats a double whammy. But the OL is even a bigger concern right now. Hodge can make the throws and TPowell seems to be more consistant at catching the ball this spring than last fall. Not sure about Mobley being elgible or not. D.Logan has shown potential. But the Panthers will have to give Hodge time to throw and a couple more receivers will have to step up as well. I think its fair to say that without Kier the offense will be more challenged to score. The defense looks to be the strength of the team at this time, but a good defense can certainly improve a young, inexperienced offense by giving them the football in better field position.

Kier was a playmaker for sure, but to say he was the entire offense would undermine the success of a very good receiver corp last year. This year they will be breaking in a new QB, and also a new receiver corp. Thats a double whammy. But the OL is even a bigger concern right now. Hodge can make the throws and TPowell seems to be more consistant at catching the ball this spring than last fall. Not sure about Mobley being elgible or not. D.Logan has shown potential. But the Panthers will have to give Hodge time to throw and a couple more receivers will have to step up as well. I think its fair to say that without Kier the offense will be more challenged to score. The defense looks to be the strength of the team at this time, but a good defense can certainly improve a young, inexperienced offense by giving them the football in better field position.

Not the whole offense but the offense ran through him and if he was on that offense was definitely hard to stop!!! I would like to know if Mobley is eligible bc I have heard from a very good source from Powell that he is not. So that would be a huge blow and a young OL and QB is not a good mix with no proven WRs...so they will have to scheme people and the Defense needs to be really stingy but they are young as well.