Violation of Title IX- quality coaching?

sweet tea

You might want to be sure that these two things are equal, and if they are then it is a matter of finding a coach that is; (a) a good qulity coach (using whose criteria?), and (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> interested in a whole lot of work for not much material benefit. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Could have that with non-faculty coaches, but TSSAA halts that. That's a whole other topic though.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I don't understand if you excell in a sport in the summer, how can any coach make you less talented. You still catch, hit, run the bases, etc no matter who the coach is. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

May be minor point but even though a coach cant make a player less talented a coach can screw up a player and screw up a team full of players. The first few weeks of travel ball is painful trying to get all the stupid stuff some have been taught and not even considering the attitude, intensity, focus effort and etc that get screwed up in school ball by some of these coaches. Lots of good players go backward during school ball. Most aren't learning anything not good anyways and lots are getting taught the wrong things.

I heard a pitching instructor talk about how if a school loses a football coach they go find the best football coach they can no matter what he teaches and make it fit with the classes they teach but if they lose a softball coach who teaches biology, they hire a biology teacher and find some teacher to coach softball. Im sure I screwed up what he was saying but you get the point. It isn't a title 9 violation but it should be. The girls are gettign cheated.

I'm not an expert but I believe that the school system has to make a "good faith" effort to hire a coach as qualified as say the boys baseball coach. Remember about title IX, you don't have to get the lawyer. If you feel there is a violation, report it and the government will fight it if they feel there is violation. My feeling, from experience with this is that there are major violations all the time in our school systems.

joeyt,

you are so right. Springfield just made a huge deal about hiring their new Football coach, press conference, etc. They plan to keep a teacher on that doesn't teach because they will be an assistant coach. Why didn't they support the previous football coach?

In a situation where a baseball team exists but there is no softball program (a classic comparison) the school must do whatever is necessary to provide an opportunity for girls to play softball.

believe it or not and i don't have the time right now to get the specific pages for you BUT baseball and softball ARE NOT comparable sports! figure that one out and tell me how! a ball, bat, bases, fielders, etc. a girl is allowed to play on a baseball team though! that would be an interesting situation. and no, i wouldn't be against it, just saying it might be interesting.

believe it or not and i don't have the time right now to get the specific pages for you BUT baseball and softball ARE NOT comparable sports! figure that one out and tell me how! a ball, bat, bases, fielders, etc. a girl is allowed to play on a baseball team though! that would be an interesting situation. and no, i wouldn't be against it, just saying it might be interesting.

I feel they are very comparable sports. Same number of players on the field at the same time with pretty much the same format for each game. One is pitched over-handed and the other is under-handed. You can get a lead in baseball and steal at anytime, but in softball you must wait for the ball to leave the pitchers hand once she is in position on the mound. The two sports are a whole lot more similar that they are different in my opinion.

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> What constitutes a violation??? If a team has "quality" coaching in boy's sports - basketball, football & baseball, but claim that they cannot get "anyone" to coach a girl's sport - softball - is it a violation in regards to equality in regards to there only being two sports for girls vs three for boys?

I have been away for awhile came to catch up and saw this posting. It is sad that even though we are living the 21st century, all is not equal between the sexes. Yes, we have came a long way, but we still need to go further.

I have an example for you, maybe I am just off on a tangent, but this post hit home with me. I went to watch NGHS play yesterday and found out some bad news. Their coach is leaving. She went there three years ago and took on a team that had not won more than 5 games in a season in 5 or 6 years. The first year they won 15 or somewhere near that. The second year, they qualified for the state tournament and won over 20 games. This year they are well on thier way to a repeat trip to the state play-offs. I asked her why she was leaving and all she would say is, "it is time". I did not buy that answer. So, I asked around. I was told by several that she was let go because the principal, who is a man, wants a football and boys' basketball coach. The boys' programs at NGHS struggle, to say it nicely, but why take away from the girls' softball program to better the boys? She came in and worked hard and built a wonderful program. I just don't understand his reasoning.

If you ask her she will say, "I want to be closer to home and my daughter will be a freshman next year and I want to watch her play." To my knowledge, she has never said anything bad or ugly about the situation. She will take full responsibilty for leaving, but I really feel that she is leaving for other reasons.

I know the girls' parents are concern as to what will happen to the program. I AM CONCERNED!!! My concern is that this "good old boy" who is a former athlete and coach at NGHS is only concerned with the boys program. He could care less about the girls. I know for a fact, last year all she asked for was a new bat and was told, "NO". The principal even told that at the sports banquet last year. The boys baseball team got 3 new bats. She had no assistants, only a stats keeper last year. Baseball had two assistant coaches. This year after a lot pressure from parents sb got new batting helmets. For crying out loud!!! Last year they played in the state tournament in t-shirts and basketball shorts!!! I am sorry, but this is ridiculous!!! The more I think about it the madder I get. I guess now is a good time to stop!!

You live in the same world as the rest of us. Football produces way more revenue, so it is going to get the nod over softball every time. Not going to change. No title violation here not even close. But I don't understand if you excell in a sport in the summer, how can any coach make you less talented. You still catch, hit, run the bases, etc no matter who the coach is. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Not all girls who play summer ball have the opportunity to play at a great SB school, and so they can (and sometimes do) develop bad habits during school ball. The pitching and overall competition they see on a day-to-day basis in school ball might not be better than "C" class ball during the summer, and playing with and against lesser talents is a sure way to develop bad habits. And this doesn't even take into account a school coach who wants to "tinker" with a girls mechanics.

Fortunately for us, our school coach realizes that my DD has great hitting and pitching instructors and plays for a good summer organization, so our coach gives my DD little or no instruction related to her swing or her pitching. I wish that were the case for everyone that isn't in a great school ball situation.

I have been away for awhile came to catch up and saw this posting. It is sad that even though we are living the 21st century, all is not equal between the sexes. Yes, we have came a long way, but we still need to go further.

I have an example for you, maybe I am just off on a tangent, but this post hit home with me. I went to watch NGHS play yesterday and found out some bad news. Their coach is leaving. She went there three years ago and took on a team that had not won more than 5 games in a season in 5 or 6 years. The first year they won 15 or somewhere near that. The second year, they qualified for the state tournament and won over 20 games. This year they are well on thier way to a repeat trip to the state play-offs. I asked her why she was leaving and all she would say is, "it is time". I did not buy that answer. So, I asked around. I was told by several that she was let go because the principal, who is a man, wants a football and boys' basketball coach. The boys' programs at NGHS struggle, to say it nicely, but why take away from the girls' softball program to better the boys? She came in and worked hard and built a wonderful program. I just don't understand his reasoning.

If you ask her she will say, "I want to be closer to home and my daughter will be a freshman next year and I want to watch her play." To my knowledge, she has never said anything bad or ugly about the situation. She will take full responsibilty for leaving, but I really feel that she is leaving for other reasons.

I know the girls' parents are concern as to what will happen to the program. I AM CONCERNED!!! My concern is that this "good old boy" who is a former athlete and coach at NGHS is only concerned with the boys program. He could care less about the girls. I know for a fact, last year all she asked for was a new bat and was told, "NO". The principal even told that at the sports banquet last year. The boys baseball team got 3 new bats. She had no assistants, only a stats keeper last year. Baseball had two assistant coaches. This year after a lot pressure from parents sb got new batting helmets. For crying out loud!!! Last year they played in the state tournament in t-shirts and basketball shorts!!! I am sorry, but this is ridiculous!!! The more I think about it the madder I get. I guess now is a good time to stop!!

Blueladysuzie,

It is me the coach at NGHS.

All I know to say is what every nice southern girl should say when she doesn't know what to say, "well.................." lol I do want to say thank you for your support. To have no one, such as a daughter or niece, involved you have been one of our biggest fans!!! Thank you. I would like to address this post.

Yes it is true that I am leaving NGHS. I leave with a very heavy heart because I have loved every single minute of my time there. However, it is time for me to go. This is not a new rumor I have heard, but it is not the only one I have heard. It is rumored I am leaving because of an arguement with a parent. I can not to my knowledge remember a single arguement with a parent. I am sure there have been a few that have wanted to tell me a thing or two and may still, but it hasn't happened. There is also the rumor it is because we lost to University School. NEVER!!! That lose was a good learning tool for us. Just remember, they are rumors.

It would be nice to be closer to home and yes it will be nice to be able to watch my daughter play VB.

My opinion, remember it is only my opinion, about Title IX is this: If a school offers a sport for the boys, then the girls should be either given a similiar sport ot the opportunity to be a member of the boys team. I have attached a web site about Title IX if you are interested. Title IX was not only established for sports but the equal and fair treatment of female athletes. I like what Cheryl Miller said,

"Without Title IX, I'd be nowhere."--Cheryl Miller, Olympic athlete

Outstanding member of 1984 gold medal women's basketball team

There are violations of Title IX every single day. There still those among us who have moved into the 21st century, who still have the misconception that a females only role in sports should be as a cheerleader. Cheerleaders are incredible athletes, but lets be honest there is stereotyping of cheerleaders as being the "rah rah girls" who are there to support the boys. Cheerleaders have my respect. The mind set of many is definitely shallow. I like a comment a good friend of mine made recently, "It amazes me how ignorant educated people can be!"

Again, thank you for your support of me and NGHS girls.

Blueladysuzie,

It is me the coach at NGHS.

All I know to say is what every nice southern girl should say when she doesn't know what to say, "well.................." lol I do want to say thank you for your support. To have no one, such as a daughter or niece, involved you have been one of our biggest fans!!! Thank you. I would like to address this post.

Yes it is true that I am leaving NGHS. I leave with a very heavy heart because I have loved every single minute of my time there. However, it is time for me to go. This is not a new rumor I have heard, but it is not the only one I have heard. It is rumored I am leaving because of an arguement with a parent. I can not to my knowledge remember a single arguement with a parent. I am sure there have been a few that have wanted to tell me a thing or two and may still, but it hasn't happened. There is also the rumor it is because we lost to University School. NEVER!!! That lose was a good learning tool for us. Just remember, they are rumors.

It would be nice to be closer to home and yes it will be nice to be able to watch my daughter play VB.

My opinion, remember it is only my opinion, about Title IX is this: If a school offers a sport for the boys, then the girls should be either given a similiar sport ot the opportunity to be a member of the boys team. I have attached a web site about Title IX if you are interested. Title IX was not only established for sports but the equal and fair treatment of female athletes. I like what Cheryl Miller said,

"Without Title IX, I'd be nowhere."--Cheryl Miller, Olympic athlete

Outstanding member of 1984 gold medal women's basketball team

There are violations of Title IX every single day. There still those among us who have moved into the 21st century, who still have the misconception that a females only role in sports should be as a cheerleader. Cheerleaders are incredible athletes, but lets be honest there is stereotyping of cheerleaders as being the "rah rah girls" who are there to support the boys. Cheerleaders have my respect. The mind set of many is definitely shallow. I like a comment a good friend of mine made recently, "It amazes me how ignorant educated people can be!"

Again, thank you for your support of me and NGHS girls.

Thank you coach for all your hard work. NGHS is loosing not a great coach, but a wonderful person. The girls adore you and would do anything possible for you. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Absolutely - not just the quality of not only the coaching, but the intregity of the program - any improvement would be welcomed! As a fan of the game, it quite an embarrasement to see the same tired old tactics year after year that won't & don't work while others in our District improve . . . we even have girls in Middle School that won't play in High School because of the coaching staff! ! ! And it's not the athletes - these same girls excel in summer ball !

Get your degree and coach the team! I imagine that you would believe you were doing a satisfactory job, but I doubt it would be unanimous through out your community. It's easy to complain and belly ache, its hard to put your own time toward something to help fix it.

May be you could offer to coach a travel team for you community in which the girls would be together playing all summer. May be you could raise money for the team and be unselfish enough not to ask anything in return.

There are thousands of ways you could help in a positive way other than doing what you are doing. I would say just by what I've read on here, that you are about the same or worse than this in your community talking about coaches and more specifically in this case, the administration.

It really sounds as if your problems with the program, coaches or administration are of a more personal nature than a specific concern. That is one of the problems with A LOT of programs through out America. Not enough selfless help and too much unneeded selfish criticism. Believe it or not, the latter actually hurts new applicants from pursuing that particular position.