Can high school coaches coach thier own players in AAU ?

hhs

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any rules that relate to coaches coaching their own players in middle or high school on an AAU team?

If you have a player on a team you want to coach, you can't coach them til school is out (end of May). And I think you can only have 2 players from the same school on one team.

Can't coach them until school is out. There is not a limit of the number of players on the same team. That only applies to fall league teams and there is is no more then 3.

Commander generally keeps up with these rules on AAU and it would be wise for everyone to keep up with the same since AAU teams might play each other all over the state however there are some Middle Schools , in East Tennessee who are not TSSAA, and there might be some confusion in that area.

Are there any rules that relate to coaches coaching their own players in middle or high school on an AAU team?

You could coach but this would count against the 15 days of practice allowed by the TSSAA.

The following is from the TSSAA Handbook page 25 which outlines what a school may do. You may say this is only appling to the school's team but the player-coach interaction falls under the TSSAA definition of "practice" (Practice ??“ Coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc.)

End of school until summer Dead Period.......................................15 days of practice, 10 of which may involve practice with another school(s).

Week preceding July 4 and week of July 4....................................SUMMER DEAD PERIOD

End of Summer Dead Period until Monday, week of August 1.......Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I am PRETTY SURE that would be illegal. If it isn't it should be.

I think it is "illegal" for registered AAU teams, however, I do know of a "non registered" team who is coached at times by their high school coach, mainly from the bleachers and practice but what they say overrules what their coach tells them.

I think it is "illegal" for registered AAU teams, however, I do know of a "non registered" team who is coached at times by their high school coach, mainly from the bleachers and practice but what they say overrules what their coach tells them.

AAU has zero to do with it. If you are a coach and are coaching your player in AAU, Rec ball, Church league or whatever you are eating up the allowed practice time as I layed out in my last post. Of course you may not get caught or turned in if you do get caught. I've seen the pathetic few circumventing the rules as you described - coaching from the stands but this is the exception not the rule. It is these idiots that get the TSSAA cranked up to make more insane rulings that the coaches who are trying to do the right thing have to live by.

AAU has zero to do with it. If you are a coach and are coaching your player in AAU, Rec ball, Church league or whatever you are eating up the allowed practice time as I layed out in my last post. Of course you may not get caught or turned in if you do get caught. I've seen the pathetic few circumventing the rules as you described - coaching from the stands but this is the exception not the rule. It is these idiots that get the TSSAA cranked up to make more insane rulings that the coaches who are trying to do the right thing have to live by.

those idiots don't live by the rules. I completely agree with you.

Why the worry? There are lots of coaches in the rural counties that start coaching their kids in the fifth grade.

If the gradeschool coaches are on the same page as the HS coach, you get a succesful program.

There are limits. After age 12 or 13 successful coaches encourage their players to play on AAU, Et al. teams that will improve their game over the summer. When the school term is over the HS coach can coach their own players on AAU or whatever teams.

Gym time is the key.

The more gym time, the better the player.

Why the worry? There are lots of coaches in the rural counties that start coaching their kids in the fifth grade.

If the gradeschool coaches are on the same page as the HS coach, you get a succesful program.

There are limits. After age 12 or 13 successful coaches encourage their players to play on AAU, Et al. teams that will improve their game over the summer. When the school term is over the HS coach can coach their own players on AAU or whatever teams.

Gym time is the key.

The more gym time, the better the player.

Jimbo

I am surprised by your post here. Yes a high school coach can over see the entire AAU program for an area. Yes he can coach teams that do not have players that are old enough to attend his school. A High school coach can not coach his own players at the AAU nationals that occur after the dead period begins. A coach can only coach his players 5 days in the spring and then 15 before June dead period starts.

Don't mean to be rude, just surprised!

DM