Can high school coaches coach thier own players in AAU ?

hhs

My understanding is this:

A high school coach can coach players that are not yet enrolled in high school (up to the 8th grade) and there is no limitation on that (the limitation usually is: the coach's time and availability). As far as coaching players that are enrolled and on their high school team, I suppose they could coach them for the 15 days...the problem is that those 15 days must occur during the time period beginning with the day after school ends until June 22nd. There is no limitation on the number of players in that situation. Usually, the coach will do practices and team camps for their 15 days available and their is no reason to work under the guise of a travel team during that timeframe.

Generally, AAU teams that have high school age players will shut down during the month of June to allow for HS practice and team camps. Then if the AAU teams want to continue, they start back up in July to play Nationals or Showcase tourneys. Certainly, there is no way for a high school coach to LEGALLY coach his high school players in July at any tournament.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A high school coach can coach players that are not yet enrolled in high school (up to the 8th grade) and there is no limitation on that (the limitation usually is: the coach's time and availability). As far as coaching players that are enrolled and on their high school team, I suppose they could coach them for the 15 days...the problem is that those 15 days must occur during the time period beginning with the day after school ends until June 22nd. There is no limitation on the number of players in that situation. Usually, the coach will do practices and team camps for their 15 days available and their is no reason to work under the guise of a travel team during that timeframe.

Generally, AAU teams that have high school age players will shut down during the month of June to allow for HS practice and team camps. Then if the AAU teams want to continue, they start back up in July to play Nationals or Showcase tourneys. Certainly, there is no way for a high school coach to LEGALLY coach his high school players in July at any tournament.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

You are 100%, absolutely correct

I think it is "illegal" for registered AAU teams, however, I do know of a "non registered" team who is coached at times by their high school coach, mainly from the bleachers and practice but what they say overrules what their coach tells them.

Fully understand> Use Claiborne High For Example. Ask their parents or players. Is this really fair?

A high school coach can coach players that are not yet enrolled in high school (up to the 8th grade) and there is no limitation on that (the limitation usually is: the coach's time and availability).

I believe that a coach can not coach a player who will be in his/her program for the following season. So, that would rule out eighth graders.

You are 100%, absolutely correct

Popcorn901 and BlueAngels are correct for basketball. However, these rules don't appear to be followed for soccer. Do they not have the same rules (i.e. a coach that provides instruction during the school year can't coach the same kids out of season-8th grade and up)??

Popcorn901 and BlueAngels are correct for basketball. However, these rules don't appear to be followed for soccer. Do they not have the same rules (i.e. a coach that provides instruction during the school year can't coach the same kids out of season-8th grade and up)??

There really is so much breaking of rules going on that it's gotten to the point that we're numb to it. (kind of like major league baseball and steroids)

If I'm not mistaken, you're allowed 5 practice days during the spring period. (which ends on the last day of school) I know of a school that exceeded that number at least 3 weeks ago and they're still going. Daily.

I don't know how you police it but something should be done.

DM, I think there is a misunderstanding on the two posts. You all start over again.

Thanks for your observation.

Coaches must adhere to the dead periods etc. for SCHOOL TEAM events. (Team Camps most notably)

For AAU, which is divided by age, a coach must wait to actively work with their own kids after the school term is over.

• 13 years later...
On 4/24/2009 at 4:22 PM, SwampRat said:

If you have a player on a team you want to coach, you can't coach them til school is out (end of May). And I think you can only have 2 players from the same school on one team.

On 4/24/2009 at 4:22 PM, SwampRat said:

If you have a player on a team you want to coach, you can't coach them til school is out (end of May). And I think you can only have 2 players from the same school on one team.

Does that rule of only 2 players pertain to JV coaches or freshman coaches or is it just Head varsity coaches?

2 hours ago, Cwvlove said:

Does that rule of only 2 players pertain to JV coaches or freshman coaches or is it just Head varsity coaches?

Do yourself a huge favor, go to the TSSAA website, and look up the rule for yourself. Years ago, this stuff was really hard to come by in a format that you knew was current but is now just a click away. The old adage of the road to heck being paved with good intentions applies here...some well-meaning person(s) can advise you and sound like they are 100% in the know, but when you break a rule it's on you and you alone. I've researched this...I could give you my best recollection of the rule, but that was four or five years back so it could have changed, or there could be exemptions in your case that didn't apply to us, or I could simply have forgotten, or I could just be trying to lead you astray and report you. 

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Do yourself a huge favor, go to the TSSAA website, and look up the rule for yourself. Years ago, this stuff was really hard to come by in a format that you knew was current but is now just a click away. The old adage of the road to heck being paved with good intentions applies here...some well-meaning person(s) can advise you and sound like they are 100% in the know, but when you break a rule it's on you and you alone. I've researched this...I could give you my best recollection of the rule, but that was four or five years back so it could have changed, or there could be exemptions in your case that didn't apply to us, or I could simply have forgotten, or I could just be trying to lead you astray and report you. 

Sounds like a couple new assistant hires in this area could be in trouble.

On 5/11/2009 at 1:20 PM, Metroman said:

I believe that a coach can not coach a player who will be in his/her program for the following season. So, that would rule out eighth graders.

Wrong, a high school coach can coach anyone that is not enrolled at their school... so if you coach at a 9-12 school, then you can coach an 8th grade AAU team even if those kids will be enrolling at your school for the fall...