McCallie Wins Carter Invite in Nashville

bbb

McCallie Netters Win Carter Invite

Three-time defending state champion McCallie tennis team captured three singles titles and one doubles crown to win the Carter Tennis Invitational Saturday at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.

Singles champions were Thomas Fanjoy (No.2), William Disterdick (No.4) and Taylor Rogers (No.6), plus Sawyer Voges-Fanjoy (No.2 doubles) as McCallie won its third straight Carter title.

McCallie won with 27 points, followed by runner-up Memphis University School (22.5), host MBA (21.5), Kentucky Country Day (16) and St. Xavier (15) in the nine-team field.

???We won this tournament fairly easily last year (all nine titles), so to have to win some close matches this weekend was important as we prepare for some big region matches and then the state in the next four weeks,'' said McCallie coach Eric Voges.

???This was a good test for our players and they passed an important test, but we have still have some work to do,'' Voges stated.

Other singles winners were No.1 Will Davis (Kentucky Country Day), No.3 Campbell MBA) and No. 5 Bouchillon (Kentucky Country Day).

MUS claimed the other doubles championships; No.1 Will Carter-Cliff Guyton (MUS) and No.3 Grant Hopkins-Wepfer.

Team Standings: 1. McCallie (27) 2. MUS (22.5) 3. MBA (21.5) 4. Kentucky Country Day (16) 5. St. Xavier Ky.) (15) 6. Dupont-Manuel (9) 7. Univ. School Jackson (4.5) 8. Trinity (Ky.) (3) 9. Lone Oak (Ky.) (2).

2009 Carter Invitational

Singles Finals

1. (1) Will Davis (KCD) d. (3) Naveen Chadalavada (MBA), 7-6 (9), 6-4

2. (1) Thomas Fanjoy (McC) d. (2) Will Carruthers (MUS), 6-7, 7-5, 10-6

3. (3) Palmer Campbell (MBA) d. (4) Cliff Guyton (MUS), 6-1, 6-3

4. (1) William Disterdick (McC) d. (2) Russ Anderson (MBA), 6-4, 6-4

5. (4) Bouchillon (KCD d. (2) Davis Thrailkill (MBA), 7-5, 3-6, 16-14

6. (1) Taylor Rogers (McC) d. (2) Bartlett (St. Xavier), 6-2, 6-4

Doubles Finals

1. (1)Will Carter-Cliff Guyton (MUS) d. (2) Chris Schlabach-Disterdick (McC), 8-3

2. (1) Sawyer Voges-Fanjoy (McC) d. Richard Brunsting-Campbell (MBA), 8-6

3. (3) Wepfer-Grant Hopkins (MUS) d. Buehner-Lavelle (St.X), 9-7

Seeds Hold Up: Four, No.1 seeds in singles and two top teams in doubles were champions.

Doubles Champs: At No.1 doubles, Carter of MUS (2007) and Schlabach of McCallie (2008) have won state doubles titles ??¦ Carter also was a state doubles finalist in 2006 and 2008.

Face in the Crowd: Former McCallie tennis player, Andy Campbell ('99), was at the tournament watching his former team ??¦ Campbell works in Washington D.C. ??¦ His dad, Richard, is a McCallie assistant coach.

Big Eight Days: McCallie has three important East/Middle region matches in an eight day span - Baylor (Wed. April 29), Ensworth (Friday May 1) and Webb (Wednesday May 6) - all at home at 4 p.m. ??¦ MBA travels to Ensworth (April 28) and Webb (April 30) ??¦ The top five teams from East/Middle and the top three from the West advance to the state quarterfinals ??¦ Semis and finals will be played at Middle Tennessee State

Individual Region: McCallie hosts the singles and doubles regional on May 9-10 ... The top five in singles and doubles advance to the state, May 19-22 at Middle Tennessee State.

Contact B.B. Branton at [email protected]