Harpeth Coach Gone?

winnersrus

Coach Drew Johnson was not rehired.

My opinion is this has more to do with tenure than anything else, but I haven't heard the whole story.

Harpeth is now looking for a girl's basketball, volleyball and baseball coach..............so far.

Please... it's more than just tenure! It's small town politics once again. Drew Johnson was a wonderful coach who spent countless hours volunteering time and energy year around to support his program. He took a team with minimal talent this year to the Regions, all during a time when overzealous parents continued to pressure him about their little girl's playing time. Bull! It's a coaches job to put the best team on the floor and put the players on the floor who EARNED the time. As a coach he did what was right for the best interests of the team... it's his job to WIN FOLKS!

How many coaches has Harpeth gone through in just the last 5 years alone? Please, the problem is not with the coaches. It's parents who have unrealistic opinions about their child's ability and then blame the coach for their child's shortcomings. If you're one of those parents reading this now and you're getting mad... get real. How long do you think you can hand-hold your child? Coaches like Drew Johnson instill values that will teach these girls how to become better athletes, students and eventually leaders in their community.

Not getting enough playing time is not an excuse. Playing time is earned and at the high school level not a requirement. You have an administration that is more worried about covering her butt and getting the dogs off her than doing what is best for the program. Rewind to the Marshall Winkler days... Great coach had built a competitive program that was pushed into a no-win situation with the ABC Region. Parents didn't consider the opponents, the team losing all of the sudden becomes a coaching problem. Again, unrealistic expectations.

The fact is this... Harpeth is a small school that only has a minimal pond of talent to pull from. There are coaches at the school who make the best of what they have but it's is comes down to discipline, respect and support.

Drew Johnson will make some school who CARES ABOUT WINNING and developing a program a wonderful coach. If he calls or sends you a resume, grab him up fast. He's young, has integrity and the burning desire to build a legacy somewhere. He's not in it for the extra $50 a week... he's there because he loves the game, the kids and building something he can be proud of for the rest of his life.

Coach Johnson - My hats off to you sir! You will be sadly missed.

Please... it's more than just tenure! It's small town politics once again. Drew Johnson was a wonderful coach who spent countless hours volunteering time and energy year around to support his program. He took a team with minimal talent this year to the Regions, all during a time when overzealous parents continued to pressure him about their little girl's playing time. Bull! It's a coaches job to put the best team on the floor and put the players on the floor who EARNED the time. As a coach he did what was right for the best interests of the team... it's his job to WIN FOLKS!

How many coaches has Harpeth gone through in just the last 5 years alone? Please, the problem is not with the coaches. It's parents who have unrealistic opinions about their child's ability and then blame the coach for their child's shortcomings. If you're one of those parents reading this now and you're getting mad... get real. How long do you think you can hand-hold your child? Coaches like Drew Johnson instill values that will teach these girls how to become better athletes, students and eventually leaders in their community.

Not getting enough playing time is not an excuse. Playing time is earned and at the high school level not a requirement. You have an administration that is more worried about covering her butt and getting the dogs off her than doing what is best for the program. Rewind to the Marshall Winkler days... Great coach had built a competitive program that was pushed into a no-win situation with the ABC Region. Parents didn't consider the opponents, the team losing all of the sudden becomes a coaching problem. Again, unrealistic expectations.

The fact is this... Harpeth is a small school that only has a minimal pond of talent to pull from. There are coaches at the school who make the best of what they have but it's is comes down to discipline, respect and support.

Drew Johnson will make some school who CARES ABOUT WINNING and developing a program a wonderful coach. If he calls or sends you a resume, grab him up fast. He's young, has integrity and the burning desire to build a legacy somewhere. He's not in it for the extra $50 a week... he's there because he loves the game, the kids and building something he can be proud of for the rest of his life.

Coach Johnson - My hats off to you sir! You will be sadly missed.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

It is obvious that parents and other "supporters" around the Kingston Springs/Pegram communities run the show at Harpeth. Look at the incidents with assistant football coach Robert Brown and previous head football coach Marshall Winkler. Look at other incidents with coaches around the school.

Aside from Jamie Wilson (who has built a strong program and is loved by the people in the communities) there will NEVER be a coach at Harpeth who gets the luxury of running a team as he/she sees fit.

Just look at the big guy who made a total dumb*** out of himself last year at the district tourney when Harpeth lost to Cheatham Co. in the title game and he reacted by walking onto the floor and shouting like a moron. It's sad to say that incidents like that are what have became "acceptable" by everyone associated with HHS.

Good Luck to Drew Johnson...........I'm sure it will take you about 24 HOURS before you are noted as a top coaching choice for a strong basketball program that is interested in winning (and isn't ran by insane parents).

Not so fast my friend!

I would venture to say that it's as much a Cheatham County problem as a Harpeth one. How many baseball coaches has Cheatham had in the last 5 years or boy's basketball coaches? How about Sycamore? Stability is something that every program desires and every program has a parent or 10 that are strong willed and what not. I don't buy for a second that this is a problem that's isolated to Harpeth in our county or any of the other ones in the district or the midstate. East Hickman is going through coaches like a hot knife through butter.

It's a combination of things imo. You have to have a strong administration supporting the coach, that administration has to have support at the Central office and the Central office has to have a school board that is looking out for the best interests of the students. All parties working towards a common goal. We have almost as many coaches asked to leave in this county as leave for a better job. Is that pressure to win, parent pressures or witch hunting? Take your pick. It's all of the above.

Drew Johnson will land on his feet and some lucky school's gain will be Harpeth's loss. Good luck Drew!

Not so fast my friend!

I would venture to say that it's as much a Cheatham County problem as a Harpeth one. How many baseball coaches has Cheatham had in the last 5 years or boy's basketball coaches? How about Sycamore? Stability is something that every program desires and every program has a parent or 10 that are strong willed and what not. I don't buy for a second that this is a problem that's isolated to Harpeth in our county or any of the other ones in the district or the midstate. East Hickman is going through coaches like a hot knife through butter.

It's a combination of things imo. You have to have a strong administration supporting the coach, that administration has to have support at the Central office and the Central office has to have a school board that is looking out for the best interests of the students. All parties working towards a common goal. We have almost as many coaches asked to leave in this county as leave for a better job. Is that pressure to win, parent pressures or witch hunting? Take your pick. It's all of the above.

Drew Johnson will land on his feet and some lucky school's gain will be Harpeth's loss. Good luck Drew!

I know, I know... these problems are everywhere, but the fact still remains that there are issues at Harpeth that are not being resolved. While some leave for better jobs, how many leave for other reasons? How well is the administration researching their selections? Are all sides being heard, or are we dealing with a one-sided skewed view and a knee-jerk reaction here?

I agree with you - the support must be in place and it does start at the top. If the board is to blame then so bit it. However, the fact still remains that the board can only offer opinion when it comes to the hiring and firing of teachers and administrators within the school system. The ultimate responsibility lies with the Director and the Principal of the respective school.

The topic at hand is what is happening at Harpeth. While this problem exists elsewhere in this county, it does not remove blame from those that have the control to make the right decisions at the school level. That responsibility still, and will always remain, with the Principal.

Not so fast my friend!

Cheatham Co. baseball hasn't had near the success as Harpeth Girls Basketball has had over the last few years. As for Cheatham Co. basketball during that time period when you look at the past coaches you can see that when they left it was because they left for greener pastures ON THEIR OWN TERMS.......Jackson nor Stigall were pushed out the door. Jackson went to Rossvew to coach basketball and Stigall went to Kenwood to coach basketball.

Harpeth baseball & Harpeth girls basketball have both been very successful in the last few years (UNLIKE CHEATHAM COUNTY BASEBALL). In the end what their coaches got was...........shafted!

This had absolutely nothing to do with Johnsons coaching ability or the teams success.

This decision was made outside of the administration at Harpeth and was based on pressure from a FEW parents and community members OUTSIDE of the program making allegations that had nothing to do with basketball.

So success is more of a reason to be alarmed than apathy? I guess it's a different kind of alarmed.

Which of the Harpeth coaches didn't leave for AAA pastures? I can't think of any off the top of my head that didn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Any word on who will replace Coach Johnson at Harpeth and whether Coach Johnson has found another position?

Slow movement at Harpeth on a replacement. However, I spoke with Drew a few days ago. He has some positive prospects he is working.

Whomever gets him will get a great coach. I was blessed with two boys, but if I ever had a girl I would want her to play for drew. Harpeth's loss will be someone elses gain! He's a great coach who truly cares about his players on and off the court.