halls coach gone

bballfan32178

Halls has had a problem because the ladies playing for the past few years became accustomed to losing, and decided that it was a social thing, not a sports thing, to do. So when you get a coach like J D Lambert in there who wants to win, want to teach, and wants to coach to win, then all of a sudden, it isn't "fun" for some players, and that is what I understand is what got him fired.

As I understand it, he and his staff had a review meeting with the AD after the season, and were told that while the AD would have liked more success (read wins), he was happy with the direction the team was going. The fact that they were competitve in more games than in previous years ( I believe the Oak Ridge gane where Halls was still in it going to the 4th quarter was cited as an example) and that they were getting coached up was discussed in the meeting. Based on that, JD had already made plans for the summer, a workout schedule, a take home packet including a shooting schedule for each player, and a camp schedule.

Then he gets called in to talk with the principal, and is told the principal had had meetings (without JD) with players (and I assume parents, but that is my assumption), and was told the girls were not having fun, and the administration wanted to go in another direction.

The 6-2 post player you are discussing didn't fancy herself as a post player. She wanted to play on the perimeter, and was constantly being coached in practice and in games to play inside. She was a freshman, and needs to get used to the idea of playing against some physically larger players. She also tweeked a knee at Christmas time, and so some of the positioning (IE, not on free throw line) might have been a aid to keep her from further injury. It also could have been a strategy to set up the press, by having her back and ready, rather than forcing her to run full court on the knee.

You can't get a better person or coach than JD Lambert. He knows the game, and knows strategy. How anyone expects a coach to come in and try to turn around a program without straining some feelings is beyond me. You have fun when you win, you don't when you lose. The games I saw last year, the girls coming out of the losing dressing room didn't look like the losses bothered them. JD knew he was getting some talent from the middle school program, and was trying to get the winning attitude infused in the lower classmen. If you tell someone to do something, and they fail to do it, is that bad coaching, or bad playing? I think they could have won more games last year if some key players had taken the coaching to heart. But you know, listening to the coach isn't much fun, when he is telling you to work hard, and all you want to do is make sure you makeup is on correctly.

And JD has another fatal flaw. He doesn't do politics. He doesn't bow down to anyone. And he isn't from the Halls community. So good luck to whomever comes in. If you have been reading this thread, then you know they expect you to go 20-6, beat Powell, Oak Ridge, etc, and get to State. This year. Oh, and by the way, don't make them work to do it. The girls just want to have fun.

That just about sums it up - but add to that lack of coaching at the middle school level.

I had a friend a few years ago who had a daughter trying out for volleyball as a freshman and was begged by the basketball coach at the time to try out for basketball because they didn't have enough trying out to field a JV team. Other schools make cuts at tryouts, Halls has sign-ups.

Hallshasit ???

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That just about sums it up - but add to that lack of coaching at the middle school level.

I had a friend a few years ago who had a daughter trying out for volleyball as a freshman and was begged by the basketball coach at the time to try out for basketball because they didn't have enough trying out to field a JV team. Other schools make cuts at tryouts, Halls has sign-ups.

Hallshasit ???

Lots of rumors flying on this one so it's hard to figure out what to believe. I've heard 2.

(1) More applicants this year and they're struggling to figure which one is the best fit. (but they like several and feel any of them would be a good hire)

(2) The new coach won't be so new. (figure that one out 'cause I can't...former coach? Old, local coach? Boys coach? Hope this is wrong 'cause they need FRESH blood in there.)

The other thing I keep hearing from too many is that politics hold too much weight here. I've read that from several posters on here but now I'm hearing the exact thing. At the same time, I hear good things about the AD so I guess the politicking is coming from elsewhere.

Lots of rumors flying on this one so it's hard to figure out what to believe. I've heard 2.

(1) More applicants this year and they're struggling to figure which one is the best fit. (but they like several and feel any of them would be a good hire)

(2) The new coach won't be so new. (figure that one out 'cause I can't...former coach? Old, local coach? Boys coach? Hope this is wrong 'cause they need FRESH blood in there.)

The other thing I keep hearing from too many is that politics hold too much weight here. I've read that from several posters on here but now I'm hearing the exact thing. At the same time, I hear good things about the AD so I guess the politicking is coming from elsewhere.

They had 4 applicants, 1 is obvious(Brook) and the other 3 i dont know. The new coach is rumored to be a transfer from North Carolina...Denny??? I cannot remember if that is his first name or last. The announcement will be made later in the week. The delay has been caused from paperwork since he is coming from another state, at least thats the word I'm hearing.

Anyone else heard that?

I believe the new coach is randy moore, the boys coach also. he is going to do both. he did this at seymour. from what im told he done pretty good job at doing both up there. its still gotta be tough doing both. can you give 100 percent to both? randys good guy and coach so we will see. i heard that most of the girls on the team wanted him as coach when they found out he had applied. also heard most parents approve of the move except for maybe one. cant please everyone i guess. really young team only 2 seniors and 1 junior, the rest fresh and sophs. brook will stay and be asst. coach. talked to one of the parents and brook. they said they had a good camp at tenn tech last week end. so good luck ladies!

I believe the new coach is randy moore, the boys coach also. he is going to do both. he did this at seymour. from what im told he done pretty good job at doing both up there. its still gotta be tough doing both. can you give 100 percent to both? randys good guy and coach so we will see. i heard that most of the girls on the team wanted him as coach when they found out he had applied. also heard most parents approve of the move except for maybe one. cant please everyone i guess. really young team only 2 seniors and 1 junior, the rest fresh and sophs. brook will stay and be asst. coach. talked to one of the parents and brook. they said they had a good camp at tenn tech last week end. so good luck ladies!

For some good friends at Halls, this coach is making an effort to please the parents and fans at Halls with a lot of hard work and long hours. Be patient. His job is not easy.

It is indeed Randy Moore and he will coach both the boys AND girls teams. Never have understood schools that allow that to happen. You are just not doing both of your teams justice with a move like this. By that I mean can he give 100% to both teams? No. He can give 50% at most to both teams.

Nothing against the guy personally... I'm sure he's a good guy.

It is indeed Randy Moore and he will coach both the boys AND girls teams. Never have understood schools that allow that to happen. You are just not doing both of your teams justice with a move like this. By that I mean can he give 100% to both teams? No. He can give 50% at most to both teams.

Nothing against the guy personally... I'm sure he's a good guy.

I agree Dirk, another mistake by Halls Administration. When Moore came to Halls he stated he was glad not to be coaching 2 teams and didn't want to do it again. It looks like Halls took the easy way out again and hired the coach that required the least amount of paperwork!

Also, everyone keeps saying we have a young team. Halls will always have a young team because by the time the girls are jrs. and srs. they have all quit playing basketball.

I agree Dirk, another mistake by Halls Administration. When Moore came to Halls he stated he was glad not to be coaching 2 teams and didn't want to do it again. It looks like Halls took the easy way out again and hired the coach that required the least amount of paperwork!

Also, everyone keeps saying we have a young team. Halls will always have a young team because by the time the girls are jrs. and srs. they have all quit playing basketball.

I'm not sure the reason he was hired was because he had "the least amount of paperwork." I think they chose the safest public pick. Everyone knows the guy and what they're getting.

The parents are apparently happy and that's what is important over there.

I'm not sure the reason he was hired was because he had "the least amount of paperwork." I think they chose the safest public pick. Everyone knows the guy and what they're getting.

The parents are apparently happy and that's what is important over there.

I thought it depended on which parents were happy.