Unakas girls

TedEBear

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard if he will be returning this year to coach. Scuttle-bug has it that Hamptons girls beat them by 52.

You make it sound as if they were trying to beat them by that much and that is NOT the case. I was there and watched the game. Hampton played everybody that they had and never went outside of the 3pt. line on defense. It is not Coach Wright's fault that his players quit. He is making due with what he has and it takes courage to do that. I did see other teams this past week that pressed the Lady Rangers into oblivion. How is that for class. It isn't pretty right now but hat's off to the players and coaches for trying their best.

the final for the game between unaka and hampton was 14-66 obviously hamptons favor. and dogs4life you have absolutely no idea the reasons the whole team minus the freshman who never touched the varsity floor turned in their jerseys, so dont go taking up for coach wright. it doesnt take courage to do the best with what he has, it takes spite and ignorance. the best thing he could have done is resigned when he had the chance. Even he is fully aware that he can not win a game without the players he lost, and if he had been a good coach, treated the girls with respect, and had any clue what he was doing he would not have lost them in the first place. The girls where/are merely taking up for themselves which is something that most people would have enough courage to do.

the final for the game between unaka and hampton was 14-66 obviously hamptons favor. and dogs4life you have absolutely no idea the reasons the whole team minus the freshman who never touched the varsity floor turned in their jerseys, so dont go taking up for coach wright. it doesnt take courage to do the best with what he has, it takes spite and ignorance. the best thing he could have done is resigned when he had the chance. Even he is fully aware that he can not win a game without the players he lost, and if he had been a good coach, treated the girls with respect, and had any clue what he was doing he would not have lost them in the first place. The girls where/are merely taking up for themselves which is something that most people would have enough courage to do.

Pat Summitt couldnt have coched u girls last year the teams attitude work ethic and leadership was terrible no coach could have done anything with that not all the players but a very good majority u wanna ask him to treat u with respect when no one gave him a chance to start im impressed he could win a game , i wud like Coach Wright to know he couldnt have done anything with the players and parents he had and if i had been there coach after some of the little stunts they pulled when losing they would of all quit alot sooner because practice would be a track marathon everyday, oh and the two little intentionls you all had at the end of the last game, that was an embarrasment to yourselfs, your team, your school, and your coach. good day

Pat Summitt couldnt have coched u girls last year the teams attitude work ethic and leadership was terrible no coach could have done anything with that not all the players but a very good majority u wanna ask him to treat u with respect when no one gave him a chance to start im impressed he could win a game , i wud like Coach Wright to know he couldnt have done anything with the players and parents he had and if i had been there coach after some of the little stunts they pulled when losing they would of all quit alot sooner because practice would be a track marathon everyday, oh and the two little intentionls you all had at the end of the last game, that was an embarrasment to yourselfs, your team, your school, and your coach. good day

well you see there "creekerballer" obviously you are one of few who are a fan of coach wright. very few. i do agree with you about the intentionals. that was an embarrasment. but then again they came from seniors who were hurt because they went through three great seasons that were mostly successful & came up there LAST year of high school and lost everything they had worked for because of bad coaching decisions made at the last minute. as far as the parents are concerned they tried to help mr wright but he was wonder wright and needed no help. with ANYTHING. period. his players tried talkin with him about things but he wanted to take no advice. it was what he wanted or nothing. no one knows what went on at closed pratices or in the lockeroom between halves or after games except the ones who played. things go much farther with reasoning behind quitting than just losing. lady ranger basketball was made up of great work ethics and leadership until they was screwed over right before their season started & had to start new. the new direction that was told was gonna be takin after the dismissal of coach chambers, yeah we see where that took us, straight down the drain for lady ranger basketball.. and it has took great courage to quit for the ones who did, basketball was something they all loved at one point, but it was made into something miserable and dreadful. yes coach wright shouldve took the hint, and resigned and saved himself and the school the embarassment. he is an excellent teacher, but cant say the same for a coach. he has made the statement that he dont look to win a game this year.. well wonder why. no coach.no players. no wins. & good day to you! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

well you see there "creekerballer" obviously you are one of few who are a fan of coach wright. very few. i do agree with you about the intentionals. that was an embarrasment. but then again they came from seniors who were hurt because they went through three great seasons that were mostly successful & came up there LAST year of high school and lost everything they had worked for because of bad coaching decisions made at the last minute. as far as the parents are concerned they tried to help mr wright but he was wonder wright and needed no help. with ANYTHING. period. his players tried talkin with him about things but he wanted to take no advice. it was what he wanted or nothing. no one knows what went on at closed pratices or in the lockeroom between halves or after games except the ones who played. things go much farther with reasoning behind quitting than just losing. lady ranger basketball was made up of great work ethics and leadership until they was screwed over right before their season started & had to start new. the new direction that was told was gonna be takin after the dismissal of coach chambers, yeah we see where that took us, straight down the drain for lady ranger basketball.. and it has took great courage to quit for the ones who did, basketball was something they all loved at one point, but it was made into something miserable and dreadful. yes coach wright shouldve took the hint, and resigned and saved himself and the school the embarassment. he is an excellent teacher, but cant say the same for a coach. he has made the statement that he dont look to win a game this year.. well wonder why. no coach.no players. no wins. & good day to you! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

senior or not you win with class you lose with class, im not tryin to say im a fan of coach wright and i dont think coach chambers should of been kicked out but everyone wants to play wright but as soon as chambers was out all there was complaing the whole time wright was never given a fair shot in it you wanna know why your season went the way it did, sub-par players who instead of comforming and working with the new coach decided they ran the show no work ethic, no heart, no wins ; )

i will say that i agree the intentionals at the end of their last game were embarrassing, but no one but those girls no what they had dealt with and put up with all season. i think the team parents did give him a chance, i have heard several incidents where he down-right refused to let them help because he didnt need them and could do it himself. If you ask me it sounds like the situation was the other way around. As far as the work ethic being horrible, those girls were in the gym running ladders on their own free will when they didnt even have a coach trying to prepare for their season so dont tell me they didnt have a work ethic. The only reason they won the games they did is because the girls refused to give up, but i will say that the district play in game i think the girls had given up all hope completely. it was evident from watching from the stands that coach wright had no idea what he was doing, did you watch them play happy valley away? they were down three points and coach wright calls a time out which he doesnt have which gives happy valley the extra points they needed to seal the deal. so i cant say im surprised the girls got discouraged anyone would. i think the fact that they stuck with it as long as they did speaks wonders of them. good day to you too /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A very tough situation for all involved. I like Coach Wright. I like Coach Chambers. I have great respect for the Unaka program and tradition. I have a hard time blaming Coach Wright. He was placed in a difficult situation following the highly successful Coach Chambers, who was let go under dubious circumstances at best. I will point no direct fingers, but speculate that the real problem's root is with the school board, school administration, or in the central office. Something went badly wrong somewhere, and we may never really know. It is a shame that the coaches, parents, players, and community have to suffer this, but I do not doubt that the Lady Rangers will rise back to prominence in time. Keep your heads up!

The situation was not ideal for anyone involved. Being thrown into the fire merely weeks before the start of the season is a tough situation for anyone to be put into. Without the spring and summer to put everything in, the team was put into a really bad spot. Add in the injuries that the team faced last year, and it was an uphill battle from the get go. I respect Coach Wright's stance and having the guts to make a difficult decision and stick to it. I have heard that many of the players from last year have boycotted/quit basketball because of him, and sure the easy thing would be to cave in and do whatever is necessary to get the players back and have a better chance of winning this year. However, what kind of message does that send? A head coach should not make decisions just to make the parents of his or her players happy. If the parents want to run the show, tell them to either go get a teaching degree and apply for a high school coaching job or take their kid to the YMCA, Parks and Rec, or Boy's Club, and they can be their coach there. He is willing to take his lumps for a year or so in exchange for instilling some sense of principle and discipline. As a coach myself, I'd much rather have 8 players willing to give me everything they have and parents that support the team than to have 20 players who are not willing to sacrifice and understand the fact that the coach is in charge. I've had the opportunity to coach against and with Coach Wright during my coaching tenure, and I can say I've never worked with a person who is more committed and dedicated to a team than he is. You may or may not agree with some things, but I can guarantee you that he is working tirelessly to do what is best for the program.

senior or not you win with class you lose with class, im not tryin to say im a fan of coach wright and i dont think coach chambers should of been kicked out but everyone wants to play wright but as soon as chambers was out all there was complaing the whole time wright was never given a fair shot in it you wanna know why your season went the way it did, sub-par players who instead of comforming and working with the new coach decided they ran the show no work ethic, no heart, no wins ; )

Coach Wright could not win a game if he had Candace Parker. He is an embarrassment to Unaka High School, the Lady Rangers Basketball Program, and to himself. His arrogance has got him no where. Coach Wright was given chance after chance,but he refused any help. The 08-09 Lady Rangers had great courage to stick together and go through the things they went through.Lady Ranger Basketball had great work ethic. The girls ran ladders on their own without a coach,they showed up to practice everyday.Coach Wright was givin every opportunity needed to have success.But now due to his arrogance, he is left with no players of any experince and no chance of success.The 08-09 Lady Rangers have shown great courage in their choice to quit. They were shown no respect in anyway from Coach Wright.They were simply taking up for themselves.They have showed great class and courage.They took up for themselves when no one else would in when most other people wouldnt have done a thing. The program has successfuly went in the new direction it said it would take. Strait South.With the leadership of Coach Wright it doesnt look to be improving anytime soon.

I am beginning to think Coach Wright may not be the problem at all, just as I think Coach Chambers was not the problem. Meddling parents, personal agenda school board members, and catering administrators may be the real problem. If the coach is not abusing players, they should not quit. It sounds like some house cleaning needs to be done. It would be interesting to see what Coach Wright, or any coach for that matter, could do with the support of a strong administration. The parents and board members need to stay out of it. Let the coach coach and the players play!

I am beginning to think Coach Wright may not be the problem at all, just as I think Coach Chambers was not the problem. Meddling parents, personal agenda school board members, and catering administrators may be the real problem. If the coach is not abusing players, they should not quit. It sounds like some house cleaning needs to be done. It would be interesting to see what Coach Wright, or any coach for that matter, could do with the support of a strong administration. The parents and board members need to stay out of it. Let the coach coach and the players play!

17, the State of Tennessee girls basketball community is looking in on this site and the posts. The emotion is obvious and there is no one who knows what is going on first hand except those RESPONSIBLE for the school system. If any feel any of this is flattering, take another look at this situation. The results of what has occurred have reached this site because again in situations such as this, communications have broken down and no one thinks they have anyone to talk to about the situation or is scared to. This didn't just happen if it is explained right, At the end of a school year with this going on, why does a school district have to put up with this? Your county is respected but many wonder now who is capable of keeping respect. 17, this seems to be a situation in which a Coach is replaced with another coach and now that coach is being challenged for being the coach without even there being a discussion. And somebody or some group hijacked the team. I would hope there is a procedure of discussing the matter and laying out the rules of discussion as sometimes a new coach is hired and rules of approaching him/her are not fully known and when best to do it. It's likely something else is going on with closed practices but thats all right, he was hired as the Coach. Maybe the Principal should be involved with those rules. It's difficult, with TSSAA rules, to realize how this situation has gotten this ouit of hand when the season doesn't even start for 5 months and just ended in March, a new coach is coaching and the team is in this condition. 17, is there not a Principal at this school? You likely know what's happening and your last two sentences expresses your feelings.