Unakas girls

TedEBear

Yes, you are correct. There was much time and thought put in the decision of quitting. It was a hard one, but we feel like its best for us. We can focuse on other things, like more study time, or another sport.

I must say I am really going to miss the game, the fans who came to support us, and many other things basketball brought to me. I loved playing it and me and my other teammates put a lot of time into it the past few years. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I just wish things could be the way they were my freshman year, but they wont ever be close to that again. We split with Cloudland, Hampton, North Greene & won some other pretty big games. We also got 2nd in our conference. We had a very successful summer, we lost i believe 4 games out of twenty some. (we were playin BIG schools too). This past season was disasterous, it is no secret to anyone who watched us. It just really bothers me the things people are posting, putting down our talents. We may not be "All-Americans" ( DR. ENough) but I do believe we are just as good as most around here as individuals. I improved tremendously over the last summer, because I worked my butt off in the gym day in and out, just like my other teammates. I may not be the greatest player, but i can play, and I love to play the game. It is honestly killin me not being at camps right now. I wanna play, but I am not going through another year like last year. I don't understand why some of the posters on here, who are grown adults, would sit there and put kids down. This whole situation has gotten way out of hand. It makes me sick to come on here and read some of the things posters have posted towards us. Most are from other areas like Unicoi. How do you figure you even know whats going on to have any business in posting things like you do? Not only Unicoi, but other schools as well. You guys have no clue of the situation, except maybe in bits and pieces. I'm just tired of looking at all this mess on here. it concerns Coach Wright, the players, & parents. not everyone else. If anyone has questions to the 6 who have quit. Ask us, we are frequent posters on here. Quit assuming things & just find out from the real sources. And for the ones who say we will wait & come back, WRONG. Our decision is final. I will play somewhere else or not play at all before I come back and play for Coach Wright.

If you are going to post on here then you must be willing to have someone respond to your posts. If you want to keep it inhouse then you shouldn't put it on Coacht. I really don't think anyone is putting your skills as a player down. Some like myself are questioning the choices you have made, but again only you can make these choices and you will have to deal with the outcomes good or bad. You talk about how much you improved and how much you love playing the game and how good you all could be and then to let someone keep you from doing what you love. If you as a group wanted to make it a great year I truly believe you could inspite of coaching. Good players overcome bad coaching. Sure the coach might make some decisions that make it harder but you if truly wanted it bad enough you shouldn't let that get in the way. If you wanted it bad enough and loved it enough you could make comprimises to accomidate each side. But I really feel you all have made the decision to be your way or no way. I'm not taking up for Coach Wright, I'm sure he has a lot to learn as a coach and may not turn out to be a good one. But ask yourself and only answer it yourself truthfully: How much of a chance did you give him? You started your post by talking about things that had happened in the past. Please realize the past is gone and can't be changed no matter how bad you would like it. It's just not going to happen. I do realize you are a young lady and can understand and appreicate the fact you are standing up for something you believe and I hope you feel that way in the years to come. You say you want to be in camps playing then you should be in camps playing. Try not to back yourself into a corner where there is no way out. I am not telling you what to do in no manner. I am only telling you what I would tell my own daughter if she was in this position. Try to think what you will feel like 10 years from now. People won't remember why you quit, they will just know you quit. When someone asks you did you play basketball in high school and you answer "I quit because the coach....", they will just remember you quit. I'm sorry but this is how it will be, I do know. Again only my opinion and I don't know you, I don't know Coach Wright, I only know I hate to see young people make decisions that they might regret later in life.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Boone, Unaka, Claiborne County, and any number of other schools have had, or are presently experiencing Coaching/Personnel dilemmas. Each is unique, and each individual is left to decide for herself.

The Daniel Boone players I've met were at peace with their decisions. That's good enough for me.

Several of the Unaka players and their parents have made it very clear, to the Principal, to the Superintendent, and others that, Yes, they'd love to play. That, on principle, they've chosen not to participate, under the circumstances, doesn't make them leaders or followers, nor should they be categorized. Perhaps such judgements should be with-held, at least until after each and all of them have made the decision to return.

Or not.

All of them will have given ample thought and prayer throughout the process.

Krich, they made this decision as a group. It wasn't made by each individual. Did they talk about it with each other? Did they meet and discuss the situation? If so then yes it was a group. And if it is a group (they do talk about "us" doing this and "us" doing that in other posts") then there has to be a leader. I sure that not each individual feels as stongly about the decision as the other. I'm sure there is probably more than one that is not truly sure but are going a long with the others. This makes them followers. And until they do make the decision "to return. Or not." then their decision has been made not to be members of the program.

I'm also sure some of the Daniel Boone players feel at peace with their decision now. My question was would they feel this way 10 years from now. Again I'll refer to my prior post about most players that have quit regret it later on in life. I feel for this young ladies. I just find it hard to believe this is the best option for them to take.

If you are going to post on here then you must be willing to have someone respond to your posts. If you want to keep it inhouse then you shouldn't put it on Coacht. I really don't think anyone is putting your skills as a player down. Some like myself are questioning the choices you have made, but again only you can make these choices and you will have to deal with the outcomes good or bad. You talk about how much you improved and how much you love playing the game and how good you all could be and then to let someone keep you from doing what you love. If you as a group wanted to make it a great year I truly believe you could inspite of coaching. Good players overcome bad coaching. Sure the coach might make some decisions that make it harder but you if truly wanted it bad enough you shouldn't let that get in the way. If you wanted it bad enough and loved it enough you could make comprimises to accomidate each side. But I really feel you all have made the decision to be your way or no way. I'm not taking up for Coach Wright, I'm sure he has a lot to learn as a coach and may not turn out to be a good one. But ask yourself and only answer it yourself truthfully: How much of a chance did you give him? You started your post by talking about things that had happened in the past. Please realize the past is gone and can't be changed no matter how bad you would like it. It's just not going to happen. I do realize you are a young lady and can understand and appreicate the fact you are standing up for something you believe and I hope you feel that way in the years to come. You say you want to be in camps playing then you should be in camps playing. Try not to back yourself into a corner where there is no way out. I am not telling you what to do in no manner. I am only telling you what I would tell my own daughter if she was in this position. Try to think what you will feel like 10 years from now. People won't remember why you quit, they will just know you quit. When someone asks you did you play basketball in high school and you answer "I quit because the coach....", they will just remember you quit. I'm sorry but this is how it will be, I do know. Again only my opinion and I don't know you, I don't know Coach Wright, I only know I hate to see young people make decisions that they might regret later in life.

Nail on the head!

Krich, they made this decision as a group. It wasn't made by each individual. Did they talk about it with each other? Did they meet and discuss the situation? If so then yes it was a group. And if it is a group (they do talk about "us" doing this and "us" doing that in other posts") then there has to be a leader. I sure that not each individual feels as stongly about the decision as the other. I'm sure there is probably more than one that is not truly sure but are going a long with the others. This makes them followers. And until they do make the decision "to return. Or not." then their decision has been made not to be members of the program.

I'm also sure some of the Daniel Boone players feel at peace with their decision now. My question was would they feel this way 10 years from now. Again I'll refer to my prior post about most players that have quit regret it later on in life. I feel for this young ladies. I just find it hard to believe this is the best option for them to take.

Screen, again I like what your typing, the truth, but I don't think you will get through to this one.

That there were meetings, to me at least, is a good thing. And sure, those meetings were, for the most part, in group form, as most meetings are.

Last season's team met with the Principal during September. They weren't pleased with his handling of the situation, but nonetheless, all of them chose to continue playing.

The under-graduates met with him again this spring. After this most-recent meeting, some of those returning players - as individuals - chose not to return. Some of them have chosen to play; others might later opt to play. And some will not play. This proves that these decisions have been made on an individual basis, and thus, for you to assert the group label is assumptive at best, and at least for now, either premature, simply wrong, or both.

That there were meetings, to me at least, is a good thing. And sure, those meetings were, for the most part, in group form, as most meetings are.

Last season's team met with the Principal during September. They weren't pleased with his handling of the situation, but nonetheless, all of them chose to continue playing.

The under-graduates met with him again this spring. After this most-recent meeting, some of those returning players - as individuals - chose not to return. Some of them have chosen to play; others might later opt to play. And some will not play. This proves that these decisions have been made on an individual basis, and thus, for you to assert the group label is assumptive at best, and at least for now, either premature, simply wrong, or both.

I hope they all chose to come back and play, for themselves, if for no other reason. IMO I think they would be supported.

Krich, correct me if I'm wrong, they all quit together, same time, same place, same ranger channel (if you recongize that saying then you're as old as I am). Anyway that would be considered a group. If they had quit one at a time and done that own their on without any imput from other players then it would have been an individual choice. More than one, group, one only, individual. Again I will say they consider themselves a group as they refer to themselves as "us". Now I'm sure they didn't make anyone quit and each had their own individual choice to be a member of this group or not but it in a sense is still a group. I know we are discussing a point that really doesn't make any difference if they quit as a group or as individuals bottom line is they did quit. Which is the most important thing here. I hope all reconsider their actions for the betterment of the Lady Ranger basketball program.

Do you wan't the girls that quit to go back and play? Will they get your support if they do?

I was not saying people shouldnt be posting at all. I was saying they are posting, stating things that are not true, things in which they have no clue what they are talking about. And all this talk about us quitting as a group. Yes, we did basically quit as a group. BUT we had a meeting with ALL the previous players minus the graduating seniors, and as you know the three upcoming sophmores decided they wanted to play. So they did not quit. Therefore, the choice was made individually. The other six of us thought on it to ourselves, we re-met and they ones who no longer wanted to play talked with our principal. We were told the situation was waiting on meetings through the school board, but if we were quitting, coach wright needed to know then, and we needed to turn in our jerseys, and we did. I did not rely on the others decision when making mine. It was one of the most difficult things I had to do, but I did it because I honestly can not go through another year like last season. It was a waste of my time! You say we could make ourselves a good team despite the coach. How do you figure? The coach calls the plays and defenses. What coach wright said went. & I think about how I am gonna feel 10 years down the road. Whether i'll regret it or not idk.. & honestly you may think thats what you would tell your daughter, but your daughter did not play for coach wright. Your opinion could have been a little different in that situation. But there is some on here putting our "skills" down. They agree with coach wright on the no talent thing. Which is not true at all. There was talent there, it just wasnt used right.