Unakas girls

TedEBear

No, I don't really know what is going on. I just know that two good men, Coach Chambers and Coach Wright, have had to endure a lot the last two years and I do not think either has been treated fairly. All I have is my opinion. It will be left to others to straighten it out and rebuild the Lady Rangers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whether we think Coach Chambers was treated fairly - - - I don't think he was - - whether we think Coach Wright was the right person for the job - - time will tell - - it's more than a little unreasonable to suggest that the parents should just take a hike. They are the primary supporters. Their children are the ones most at risk of physical, emotional/psychological damage.

So, anyone who promotes the idea that parents should be only fully-supportive, regardless of how the program is managed, is at best, naive, if not a little calloused. And with due respect, 17, many of those who are most vehement against parental involvement... are coaches. In other words, if there was ever a time wherein parental involvement was/is justifiable, the Unaka case certainly is.

This isn't to suggest that parents should be coaching from the bleachers, that they should send in the plays and schemes. And, nearly all of us who have coached at any level, are familiar with the typical "playing time" complaints. Nor is this primarily about Xs and Os.

This situation is about much more than that. These particular parents - we're speaking here of the parents of the 2008-09 team - are tremendous. They merely wanted their offspring to be given the best-possible opportunity for success, regardless of the won-loss record. In that regard, they were short-changed. Their complaints were justified.

Players like Danielle Jones, Natalie Johnson, Taylor Byars, Chesnie Cox, Tayler Nidiffer, and Kayla Wilson didn't just casually opt out. All of them love the game much more than that. They felt, and clearly expressed, to those of authority, that the program's change of direction was unjust, from a moral and tactical perspective. After the disastrous season, they felt very strongly a correction should be made.

I have no idea how this will play out. It certainly doesn't look good. But the continuing downfall of a tradition-rich Ladies Basketball program - Unaka - is not the fault of the players who recently quit. It's not the fault of the three 2009 graduates.

And most specifically, it isn't the fault of their wonderful parents.

From someone not directly involved with the Unaka program, I'll make a couple of comments. I have coached against the girls mentioned and watched them grow from gangly little girls to very nice young ladies. None of what is being thrown around is particularly fair to them, but guess what, life isn't fair anyway.

With the debacle that is currently Unaka Lady's basketball in full evidence, no one who is to "blame" for making the Chambers/Wright change is going to publicly announce their part in what went on. We will probably never know for sure what happened, and frankly, I for one don't really care.

I call Kenneth Chambers a friend. I doubt he is a perfect person or a perfect coach, but he is pretty good at both. I honestly am not sure I'd recognize Wes Wright outside of a gym, but I'm sure he is a pretty good guy as well. To blame either or both of them is not really correct I'm sure. Both were handed a decision and told to make the best of it. Whether or not it was a good decision remains to be seen. Was it a political decision? Probably. I don't think it had anything to do with the team's performance.

As for the losers in the whole mess, it is the players from last year, this year, and probably the next few years. The focus should be on them and the team. Not on Chambers, Wright, the school board, the principal, or the parents. Again, I don't know what happened and why someone felt a change was needed. They certainly did get a new direction as someone stated they were wanting. If my child were a part of the Unaka program, I'd still be looking for answers, but the rest of us probably don't have any justification for the vitriol being spewed here. It would be better directed at the principal, school board, et al.

It will make my beloved Lady Highlanders job a little easier in their district with a weakened Rangers team, I do know that. Still, I wish the best for the ladies that have to keep up the history of what was once a respected team.

The Highlander

Many people who are bashing the players and parents do not see what this mess is really about.Coach Wright may be a good guy, & may know a little about basketball, but he certaintly doesnt know how to take talent and coach it the way it should be. His attitude this past season " i've done what i can with what talent i have" is a vague comment. if this was so then why did the lady rangers have a much more successful season in 07-08, and they only lost ONE player. ? their summer record at camps were exceptional. this year, records were set, but not the kind that you would want known. the lady rangers didnt make it past the districts for the first time in 17 years. this was by far the worst seaon they have had in years. some may blame the girls, saying they have no heart, ("creeker baller," )but if this were so they wouldn have even bothered showing up for practice EVERYDAY & continue working on their own in hope of winning a game. "Highlander" made a very good post. others really do not see what actually went on. and no one is considering the players in the situation. and trust me for those who think the school board is involved in this and the principal, well they are not. they had a big part in coach chambers dismissal, but want no part in helping the girls in the present situation with coach wright. coach wright has been bashed a bit much lately by everyone, he may be an alright person. but i know him personally and he is very arrogant. he did not respect his players, therefore lost respect from them. Events such as the senior night incident, resulted in his lost respect. the lady rangers had a little tradition thing, that on senior night, they always get balloons and many decorations and decorate the lockeroom in honor of our seniors and throw them a little party after they game. well the wonderful and mature coach went physco and wouldn even let the girls dress in their own lockeroom on their last home game. he referred it as "chuckey cheese university". he chewed the girls out up one side and down the other, not about the game at halftime of the jv game but about the lockeroom. when the seniors found out about coach wrights fit over the lockeroom, they were very upset, they felt like he had no confidence in them or respect for them. he basically said they didnt deserve it. when it was time for the varsity game, he sd the team would dress in the p.e equipment room. well they didnt fit there so they had their pregame in the hall. interesting huh? goodway to end your senior year at home. he made a huge deal out of it. he said the girls were decorating with no reason to even celebrate. good encouragment right? there were many more incidents people did not know about, such as when he went off and tore a bulliten board off the wall, (that he did not even put in the lockeroom btw) during halftime of the hampton game, threw it across the room, then picked up a chair and threw it through the bulliten board. no one seen that side of him. coach chambers may have made mistakes as a coach, but never once did he disrespect his players, show that kind of violence, or try and take away the fun in basketball for the girls. which this situation goes far beyond coach chambers now, that boat has unfortunately done sailed. it comes down now to how bad the girls want to play, but refuse to go through another season miserable like last year. as i've stated in previous post, that was not the lady ranger basketball they knew, they lost their interest in playing, & their motivation was destroyed. i wish someone would consider the way they feel and quit worrying about everything else. this is their high school years that are going by, i dont think they wanna look back one day regreting not playing, and wondering where they went wrong in the whole situation. i just think everyone who is against them, blaming them for everything, should consider that they do not know everything that went on the past season. and that the girls do have heart and really want to play..

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt several of the girls quit and then come back before Coach Wright was there? Seems like I remember hearing player X quit one summer to play softball, then I saw her when the season started. This was when Coach Chambers was there.

I did hear that the leaders on last years team had a bad attitude during the game @ Cloudland and the disctricts vs UH. To me that comes from the top down.

To say that it was the coach's fault last season, puts the girls from the previous seasons down and heightens Coach Chambers. There are lots of ways to win a basketball game and Coach Chambers' way isnt the only way. So to say that Coach Wright was the reason they lost, means that the only reason they won before was because of coaching (since it was essentially the same team as someone said). I am sure Coach Wright didnt coach them to loose. Even if you dont have any respect for the coach, as a competitor you still go out there and bust your tail. In the end, you arent playing for you, you are playing for the school, your family, and the players that built the program. At the very least, you play for them - not the coach.

Or it says that the one player Unaka lost from 07-08 was MUCH better than we all thought?

I am beginning to think Coach Wright may not be the problem at all, just as I think Coach Chambers was not the problem. Meddling parents, personal agenda school board members, and catering administrators may be the real problem. If the coach is not abusing players, they should not quit. It sounds like some house cleaning needs to be done. It would be interesting to see what Coach Wright, or any coach for that matter, could do with the support of a strong administration. The parents and board members need to stay out of it. Let the coach coach and the players play!

OK 17, The KIDS must be held accountable for their actions to the adults, as does the Employees of the school system must be accountable to school adminstration and to the parents when it involves their kids ( you should know that as you were a former a Eliz. school system Employee). Physical abuse was not the case with the players that quit, their reasons were well stated on their own as a TEAM to the principal in person and in writing about the present coach. This team never ask for this situation but they are the ones paying for it. Mental and verbally abusive does come in the picture as does intimidation and destruction of school property. Mr Wright (the title "coach" must be earned not appointed because you are kin to a board member) is simply is not a coach, there were more qualified and willing employees that were never offerd the position and it was notosted as it should have been.

The best fit for a new coach for this team was never sought by the school administration, it was done like so many other positions are filled within the county school system ( The good ole boy system, kin to a board member). The big problem in our society today is the PARENTS are not more involved in their kids school activities thats why you read in the news about every day of inappropriate behavior with students or criminal activity involving teachers or Coaches somewhere locally. The parents MUST be involved with their kids, its their job as parents. If ANY coach or teacher has a problem with that they better look for another profession. I do totally agree we need a massive HOUSE cleaning within our School administration. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

OK 17, The KIDS must be held accountable for their actions to the adults, as does the Employees of the school system must be accountable to school adminstration and to the parents when it involves their kids ( you should know that as you were a former a Eliz. school system Employee). Physical abuse was not the case with the players that quit, their reasons were well stated on their own as a TEAM to the principal in person and in writing about the present coach. This team never ask for this situation but they are the ones paying for it. Mental and verbally abusive does come in the picture as does intimidation and destruction of school property. Mr Wright (the title "coach" must be earned not appointed because you are kin to a board member) is simply is not a coach, there were more qualified and willing employees that were never offerd the position and it was notosted as it should have been.

The best fit for a new coach for this team was never sought by the school administration, it was done like so many other positions are filled within the county school system ( The good ole boy system, kin to a board member). The big problem in our society today is the PARENTS are not more involved in their kids school activities thats why you read in the news about every day of inappropriate behavior with students or criminal activity involving teachers or Coaches somewhere locally. The parents MUST be involved with their kids, its their job as parents. If ANY coach or teacher has a problem with that they better look for another profession. I do totally agree we need a massive HOUSE cleaning within our School administration. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I think I agree with much of what you say. Good supportive parents are an asset to any school or athletic program. Meddling parents playing the "good ole boy" system with board members and adminstrators are not. I am sure Unaka has more good parents, but there may have been a few meddlers. I believe the good ole boy system got Chambers. I cannot verify some of the things Coach Wright has been accused of, but if true, some are clearly over the line. It is the parents and community's responsibility to demand accountability from the board and administration to clean the mess up. If some heads have to roll, then so be it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt several of the girls quit and then come back before Coach Wright was there? Seems like I remember hearing player X quit one summer to play softball, then I saw her when the season started. This was when Coach Chambers was there.

I did hear that the leaders on last years team had a bad attitude during the game @ Cloudland and the disctricts vs UH. To me that comes from the top down.

To say that it was the coach's fault last season, puts the girls from the previous seasons down and heightens Coach Chambers. There are lots of ways to win a basketball game and Coach Chambers' way isnt the only way. So to say that Coach Wright was the reason they lost, means that the only reason they won before was because of coaching (since it was essentially the same team as someone said). I am sure Coach Wright didnt coach them to loose. Even if you dont have any respect for the coach, as a competitor you still go out there and bust your tail. In the end, you arent playing for you, you are playing for the school, your family, and the players that built the program. At the very least, you play for them - not the coach.

Or it says that the one player Unaka lost from 07-08 was MUCH better than we all thought?

Only 1 returned that Quit not several but point blank our Team is much more deserving of a real coach and not an inexperienced politically appointed wantabe coach. We had a very competitive and talented team under our former coach but he was replaced by someone with sub standard qualifications, we never ask for this situation but we got it. Take Coach Chambers out of the equation, thats water over the bridge, we can't change the fact he is no longer our coach. Actions speak louder than words, Mr Wright's reputation amoung the Players, Parents and SPectators speaks for itself. The same seasoned players Mr Wright was coaching were Playing their best ball under Chambers, again the record speaks for itself.

When we hit the floor we were "Playing to Win" but many many times when we had the momentum in the game we quickly lost it because of coaching errors (timeouts,illegal subs, out of timeouts but calls one anyway no resting the starters at appropriate time.....etc) not making excuses because we made mistakes as well but learned from our mistakes , he continued to make the same coaching errors but openly blamed us for his mistakes.

Yes there was a player under coach chambers that quite and then came back while he was still coaching, but coach chambers NEVER had his whole team turn in their uniforms because they no longer enjoyed playing the game. No kid should continue playing a sport if they no longer enjoy playing it, that completely defeats the purpose. Mr. Wright took all the fun out of the sport those girls once loved, so in a way yes you can blame it on the coaching. And you could tell by watching them play that those girls did bust their butts when they touched the floor, what would have been the point for the girls to endure 3 hour a day practices if they didnt intend to give it everything they had when they were playing? And to say that those girls should not play the sport for themselves is ridiculous! They are the ones that had to work their butts off and endure everything that happen, and if they did not love playing the sport why should they go through all that? I know i sure would never want a girl, or any athlete, to go through everything you have to go through (conditioning, 3 hour practices, etc) to play a sport she/he does not love, thats just proposterious. As for the familes of those players i know for a fact that they would have been perfectly content with them never playing in the first place if that was what made them happy. They only want what is best for them. As for the school, yes, athletes are supposed to have school pride, but then again the school is supposed to be there to support the athletes. Did you see how many students/ faculty showed up to watch them play? only a handful. Or did you ever see the school taking up for the girls? never. So i cant say i would blame the girls for losing pride in their school. You can't have school pride if there is nothing left to take pride in. Good day to everyone /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

When i first came onto this website the first thing i saw was that this was a fan FRIENDLY website, wat happened to that? this isnt a comic roast of coach wright what it is is a roast of unaka as a whole! a couple years ago when i was in highschool i saw my fair share of angry coaches and clipboards being thrown... mainly at myself. the girls didnt sign up for ballet lessons and they didnt sign up to be talked to lke babies. if there is a problem with respect be adult enough to pull him aside and tell him. and the comment that coach wright has done all with what he has is the TRUTH! lets all admit it unaka isnt kown for there girls basketball talent and changing coaches each year isnt going to help. and coachwright has been coaching AND playing basketball everysince most of his current players were running around in diapers so RANGERCHICK i tink he knows a little more about basketball than you! and as far as the parents go PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and coach the team yourself lets see how far you get and how any wins you have.