Unakas girls

TedEBear

WOW!, Who are the"good old boy's"? Who is the daughter? Who is it that is going to take Coach Wright's place? Who is the family? Who was the deal made with? More info......PLEASE. All readers are waiting!

I will not put out a kids name like that because I have more respect for kids than that and its not that kids fault at all so no need for her name to be involved!!! Anyone who has knowledge of Unaka Sports knows who the good ol boys are. Only reason I posted is to let those who are taking up for Wes Wright know that before you go putting down the players that quit please just talk with them and get ALL sides of the story. I have never been one who believes players or parents should have control of a coach BUT when they are right they are right and the kids are standing up for their right to have a good high school career without people taking away their high school playing days just to get what they want int the future and for what its worth girls, I RESPECT YOU FOR THAT. Those girls who quit are NOT the ones who were flippin off fans and making the school look bad. They are the ones that wanted those actions to stop. How can anyone blame kids who all they want is to play ball and not be a part of the political junk that this situation is all about?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not put out a kids name like that because I have more respect for kids than that and its not that kids fault at all so no need for her name to be involved!!! Anyone who has knowledge of Unaka Sports knows who the good ol boys are. Only reason I posted is to let those who are taking up for Wes Wright know that before you go putting down the players that quit please just talk with them and get ALL sides of the story. I have never been one who believes players or parents should have control of a coach BUT when they are right they are right and the kids are standing up for their right to have a good high school career without people taking away their high school playing days just to get what they want int the future and for what its worth girls, I RESPECT YOU FOR THAT. Those girls who quit are NOT the ones who were flippin off fans and making the school look bad. They are the ones that wanted those actions to stop. How can anyone blame kids who all they want is to play ball and not be a part of the political junk that this situation is all about?

Most of us have no knowledge of Unaka sports, so who are they? Who is the one or one's taking away their high school playing days? Not to get anything started, but this sounds more like an excuse for the players that quit than what is really going on. One of my reasons for this thought is the way your hatred for Coach Wright is most evident in your post. Secondly, you want Coach Wright out as the Coach who, after reading your post, will be after another year, and you are still not happy. If what you say holds water, should you not be getting the girls to stay or hang on for one more year? Which brings me to ask, again, who will be the one taking Coach Wright's place? Is this what you and the rest of the parents of the girls that quit want?

As an objective observer with limited knowledge, Just exactly how has the administration failed these kids? Is it because they didn't fire the coach in question at the request of the parents, and by not getting the approval of the "Parents" when Coach Chambers resigned. Weren't their accusations on Coach Chambers when he left? What is the truth exactly on that subject, since you guys are all "IN THE LOOP" on this subject? Now if in fact what has been said about Chambers is true, than he should have been removed, but again if not than he should have been able to stay. With that being said I don't think they could have beat Hampton or Cloudland either one, even with Chambers there. The talent level at Unaka has dropped considerably since the days of Robertson, The Ensor Sisters and the Osborn girl. At the few games I was able to attend it looked like Lynch mob around the Head man sitting across the gym. Not even John Wooden could coach in that situation. Just imagine if James Naismith were sitting across the floor in the Pauly Pavilion, that would be pretty disturbing. If the girls in question really love the game and the "changes are a commin" then why not do like Dr. Enuf says and tuff it out until the change? Whats next are they gonna try to run Ron Hicks off after taking the softball team deep in the playoffs.

I don't know what grapevine you have been listening to but you DID NOT get your information correct!!!!! My daughter does play both sports or did and she is not the only one, but the softball problems had nothing to do with either of these two girls or their (and not there) parents. Coach Wright did NO house cleaning or coaching either for that matter, and maybe, in a sense with the talent HE had, and I don't know what planet you have been on legend, but the GIRLS SPORTS PROGRAM are the reason most people come to games or up until this past season. But as we know, it is the GIRLS, and they don't really matter after all do they (and I will throw in for free the GIRLS SOFTBALL program is one of the best around). Now for myself and the parents of the other players who are no longer playing basketball we are tired of being mouth assaulted for only thinking of the best interest of MY/our daughter(S). These are some of the BEST PARENTS around and have always been supportive of whatever or whoever our daughters have played for. And as far as legendarywright goes, parents did try to talk to him, but you CANNOT talk to someone who runs like a scalded dog all the time. And NO we did not sign them up for ballet lessons and we DO NOT talk to them like babies, but I am sure by now most of us wish we had kept them in dance lessons, and we expect them to be talked to with respect and if a coach can't control his/her temper enough (who by the way is to be a role model) to talk to them with some order then they need to GET OUT. Legendarywright sounds a little full of himself, as to Experience, Legend, in is own mind, maybe, but his experience at coaching ballet may be a little more appropriate for him, at least, thats what I hear through the "coachs" grapevine. But, We should all stick to the facts that we know for certain, then again, records do speak for their self.

I don't know how you get your facts but, when you say the GIRLS SPORTS PROGRAM is the only reason that people came to games, how do you support your statement. Is it because you have a big family and they want to see your daughter, or is it simply because they were the only game on the Creek that night, Because according to the Star the boys have all star players and have won more postseason games than the girls. More people watch mens sports even at UT

Regardless of whether we think Coach Chambers was treated fairly - - - I don't think he was - - whether we think Coach Wright was the right person for the job - - time will tell - - it's more than a little unreasonable to suggest that the parents should just take a hike. They are the primary supporters. Their children are the ones most at risk of physical, emotional/psychological damage.

So, anyone who promotes the idea that parents should be only fully-supportive, regardless of how the program is managed, is at best, naive, if not a little calloused. And with due respect, 17, many of those who are most vehement against parental involvement... are coaches. In other words, if there was ever a time wherein parental involvement was/is justifiable, the Unaka case certainly is.

This isn't to suggest that parents should be coaching from the bleachers, that they should send in the plays and schemes. And, nearly all of us who have coached at any level, are familiar with the typical "playing time" complaints. Nor is this primarily about Xs and Os.

This situation is about much more than that. These particular parents - we're speaking here of the parents of the 2008-09 team - are tremendous. They merely wanted their offspring to be given the best-possible opportunity for success, regardless of the won-loss record. In that regard, they were short-changed. Their complaints were justified.

Players like Danielle Jones, Natalie Johnson, Taylor Byars, Chesnie Cox, Tayler Nidiffer, and Kayla Wilson didn't just casually opt out. All of them love the game much more than that. They felt, and clearly expressed, to those of authority, that the program's change of direction was unjust, from a moral and tactical perspective. After the disastrous season, they felt very strongly a correction should be made.

I have no idea how this will play out. It certainly doesn't look good. But the continuing downfall of a tradition-rich Ladies Basketball program - Unaka - is not the fault of the players who recently quit. It's not the fault of the three 2009 graduates.

And most specifically, it isn't the fault of their wonderful parents.

Did any injuries effect the outcome of the season? didn't a few starters get injured causing roles to change within the other starters.

Anyone who has spent 1 minute on the creek knows what family runs Unaka High. Also the elementary school if we want to get technical.

Who on earth would you be talking about? I have spent 42 years on the creek and I have no clue who you speak of? Are you saying that Donnie Ensor had anything had something to do with it because he has a daughter who plays sports?

So basically your husband chased after him in anger and you wonder why he doesn't want the "parents" involved? Just because you gave birth gives you no right to be involved on the basketball court, perhaps you should form a 16u Jr. pro. Team?!!?!??!

What part of did NOT chase him out to the car did you NOT understand, he went out behind him and ask him(WES) to come in and talk to us about the situation. But as I said NOT once, NOT twice, but THREE (3) times now, he (WES) ran like a scalded dog. If you are the coach, and you are not ADULT ENOUGH to talk to the parents of the players, about whatever they want to talk to you about with reasoning as adults then you don't need to be coach. And that does not apply to just WES alone. Giving birth does not give me (or any other mothers for that matter) right to be involved on the ball court(that's what the refs get paid for), but it does give me the RIGHT to have a say in how my child (or any other child) is being treated if it is without respect. And thanks for the vote of confidence, maybe I will form my own team, should already have at least 5 or 6 players. LOL

As an objective observer with limited knowledge, Just exactly how has the administration failed these kids? Is it because they didn't fire the coach in question at the request of the parents, and by not getting the approval of the "Parents" when Coach Chambers resigned. Weren't their accusations on Coach Chambers when he left? What is the truth exactly on that subject, since you guys are all "IN THE LOOP" on this subject? Now if in fact what has been said about Chambers is true, than he should have been removed, but again if not than he should have been able to stay. With that being said I don't think they could have beat Hampton or Cloudland either one, even with Chambers there. The talent level at Unaka has dropped considerably since the days of Robertson, The Ensor Sisters and the Osborn girl. At the few games I was able to attend it looked like Lynch mob around the Head man sitting across the gym. Not even John Wooden could coach in that situation. Just imagine if James Naismith were sitting across the floor in the Pauly Pavilion, that would be pretty disturbing. If the girls in question really love the game and the "changes are a commin" then why not do like Dr. Enuf says and tuff it out until the change? Whats next are they gonna try to run Ron Hicks off after taking the softball team deep in the playoffs.

Considering the very limited information released to the press, your "what has been said" reference is troubling. If I recall correctly, the local paper stated that the Superintendent told Coach Chambers only that they had decided to go in another direction. The resulting five-win season suggest to many that scant thought was given to exactly which direction they had in mind. And without attempting to comment for the parents involved, it seems fair-enough to suggest that they have legitimate concerns about how their children have been treated.

Of deeper concern, the early-summer roster of approximately a dozen has reportedly continued to dwindle to an alarming degree.

I disagree with your assessment that the talent level had fallen considerably. Granted, the senior class of Julie Roberson, Renee Ensor, Danielle Ensor (they're not sisters), Coty Townsend (Danielle's aunt), and Jessica Osborne, Kelly Allen, and Lacey Gouge was tremendous {thirty-one consecutive victories; number one in-state for a few weeks}; but the Lady Rangers still made it to sub-state two of the next three seasons, and in fact, twice defeated Hampton the year that Kelly Oliver coached the Lady Bulldogs to Murfreesboro.

And, just before the bubble burst last summer, Unaka, with Taylor Byars, but before the return of Rachel Lowe, played outstanding basketball, and won nine of their last ten games.

So yes, there were several very good players throughout the Kenneth Chambers era.