Unakas girls

TedEBear

I don't know how you get your facts but, when you say the GIRLS SPORTS PROGRAM is the only reason that people came to games, how do you support your statement. Is it because you have a big family and they want to see your daughter, or is it simply because they were the only game on the Creek that night, Because according to the Star the boys have all star players and have won more postseason games than the girls. More people watch mens sports even at UT

I also said UP UNTIL THIS PAST SEASON and DID NOT say ONLY!!! How do I get my facts, read all the post, Unaka girls have had to be a good program or people would not remember past seasons. And yes, we do have a big family, but most of these other girls do also, and alot of people do come to watch the girls. Nothing towards the boys, but there are more girls who have parents who show up and attend ballgames, even away for that matter than the boys. But, you know so much about the situation, apparently even the Chambers situation, never have got a straight answer on that, just a whole lot of beating around the bush, however, you must have forgot what it was like season before last for the boys team. People left and didn't stay and watch, why? bad seaon, not their fault, but I am NOT saying it was Coach Snavely either, he is a swell person, but no one was blaming the boys or their parents the way they have the girls and their parents. All we have heard is how wrong the girls are, what bad parents they have, and "The Coach" Wes Wright, the Knight in Shining Armor, what a bad time he has got from these girls and their parents. And yes, the STAR and the PRESS write more about boys in all sports for all schools than they do for the girls. And another fact, I have been to both, mens and womens sports at UT, and there are just as many or more people who attend LADY VOL BASKETBALL GAMES, and have heard the name PAT SUMMITT than you probably would want to believe. Hate to bust your bubble, but life is not all about BOYS. And one more thing, don't know if anyone else has noticed or not, but it is funny how so many people know all about this ordeal, but later, can make another post and not know anything about what is going on.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of did NOT chase him out to the car did you NOT understand, he went out behind him and ask him(WES) to come in and talk to us about the situation. But as I said NOT once, NOT twice, but THREE (3) times now, he (WES) ran like a scalded dog. If you are the coach, and you are not ADULT ENOUGH to talk to the parents of the players, about whatever they want to talk to you about with reasoning as adults then you don't need to be coach. And that does not apply to just WES alone. Giving birth does not give me (or any other mothers for that matter) right to be involved on the ball court(that's what the refs get paid for), but it does give me the RIGHT to have a say in how my child (or any other child) is being treated if it is without respect. And thanks for the vote of confidence, maybe I will form my own team, should already have at least 5 or 6 players. LOL

We, the posters, hope they don't quit on you also. LOL Just kidding, I couldn't help myself. I hope you form your own team and everything works out for you, the rest of the parents, and the 5 or 6 players. By the way, can you answer my question, that all the first time posters keep avoiding, "who are the people, person, or family they are talking about"? One more question, if Coach Wright ran and your husband went out behind him, was he walking or did he have to run to keep up? If he ran, he was chasing.

We, the posters, hope they don't quit on you also. LOL Just kidding, I couldn't help myself. I hope you form your own team and everything works out for you, the rest of the parents, and the 5 or 6 players. By the way, can you answer my question, that all the first time posters keep avoiding, "who are the people, person, or family they are talking about"? One more question, if Coach Wright ran and your husband went out behind him, was he walking or did he have to run to keep up? If he ran, he was chasing.

Well, I really couldn't either(on forming my own team). LOL This really is about these girls wanting to play basketball, but when they say they can't for Wes, then that's enough for me and I would guess the others parents as well. To be perfectly honest, I have really been thinking about how nice a Myrtle Beach trip would be at Thanksgiving, LOL, when your kid plays ball if you don't know that is out of the question. TOURNAMENTS!!! FORGET THE HOLIDAYS AND FAMILY!!! So at least for us it is about putting our kids well being first and being there for support. Playing ball or not!!! #2 I think I could answer your question but I won't. And the other answer, "Coach" Wright was out of there (maybe he had poop in his pants) LOL My husband is pretty slow to anger, but you know what they say opposites attract. LOL

As an objective observer with limited knowledge, Just exactly how has the administration failed these kids? Is it because they didn't fire the coach in question at the request of the parents, and by not getting the approval of the "Parents" when Coach Chambers resigned. Weren't their accusations on Coach Chambers when he left? What is the truth exactly on that subject, since you guys are all "IN THE LOOP" on this subject? Now if in fact what has been said about Chambers is true, than he should have been removed, but again if not than he should have been able to stay. With that being said I don't think they could have beat Hampton or Cloudland either one, even with Chambers there. The talent level at Unaka has dropped considerably since the days of Robertson, The Ensor Sisters and the Osborn girl. At the few games I was able to attend it looked like Lynch mob around the Head man sitting across the gym. Not even John Wooden could coach in that situation. Just imagine if James Naismith were sitting across the floor in the Pauly Pavilion, that would be pretty disturbing. If the girls in question really love the game and the "changes are a commin" then why not do like Dr. Enuf says and tuff it out until the change? Whats next are they gonna try to run Ron Hicks off after taking the softball team deep in the playoffs.

trustworthy, what were the accusations on Coach Chambers? Please, What or who was the Lynch mob sitting across the gym?

Well, I really couldn't either(on forming my own team). LOL This really is about these girls wanting to play basketball, but when they say they can't for Wes, then that's enough for me and I would guess the others parents as well. To be perfectly honest, I have really been thinking about how nice a Myrtle Beach trip would be at Thanksgiving, LOL, when your kid plays ball if you don't know that is out of the question. TOURNAMENTS!!! FORGET THE HOLIDAYS AND FAMILY!!! So at least for us it is about putting our kids well being first and being there for support. Playing ball or not!!! #2 I think I could answer your question but I won't. And the other answer, "Coach" Wright was out of there (maybe he had poop in his pants) LOL My husband is pretty slow to anger, but you know what they say opposites attract. LOL

Good luck with your new team!

Perhaps you could play Unaka????

well you see there "creekerballer" obviously you are one of few who are a fan of coach wright. very few. i do agree with you about the intentionals. that was an embarrasment. but then again they came from seniors who were hurt because they went through three great seasons that were mostly successful & came up there LAST year of high school and lost everything they had worked for because of bad coaching decisions made at the last minute. as far as the parents are concerned they tried to help mr wright but he was wonder wright and needed no help. with ANYTHING. period. his players tried talkin with him about things but he wanted to take no advice. it was what he wanted or nothing. no one knows what went on at closed pratices or in the lockeroom between halves or after games except the ones who played. things go much farther with reasoning behind quitting than just losing. lady ranger basketball was made up of great work ethics and leadership until they was screwed over right before their season started & had to start new. the new direction that was told was gonna be takin after the dismissal of coach chambers, yeah we see where that took us, straight down the drain for lady ranger basketball.. and it has took great courage to quit for the ones who did, basketball was something they all loved at one point, but it was made into something miserable and dreadful. yes coach wright shouldve took the hint, and resigned and saved himself and the school the embarassment. he is an excellent teacher, but cant say the same for a coach. he has made the statement that he dont look to win a game this year.. well wonder why. no coach.no players. no wins. & good day to you! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

bad coaching at the last min? as i recall the score was 66-14.

trustworthy, what were the accusations on Coach Chambers? Please, What or who was the Lynch mob sitting across the gym?

As for the accusations I don't know that is why hence the question mark to end the sentence. Any person who came to more than one game would know who sat across the gym. But if you really want to know names I'm sure Krichunaka could tell you he sat Coach Chambers most of the games.

I also said UP UNTIL THIS PAST SEASON and DID NOT say ONLY!!! How do I get my facts, read all the post, Unaka girls have had to be a good program or people would not remember past seasons. And yes, we do have a big family, but most of these other girls do also, and alot of people do come to watch the girls. Nothing towards the boys, but there are more girls who have parents who show up and attend ballgames, even away for that matter than the boys. But, you know so much about the situation, apparently even the Chambers situation, never have got a straight answer on that, just a whole lot of beating around the bush, however, you must have forgot what it was like season before last for the boys team. People left and didn't stay and watch, why? bad seaon, not their fault, but I am NOT saying it was Coach Snavely either, he is a swell person, but no one was blaming the boys or their parents the way they have the girls and their parents. All we have heard is how wrong the girls are, what bad parents they have, and "The Coach" Wes Wright, the Knight in Shining Armor, what a bad time he has got from these girls and their parents. And yes, the STAR and the PRESS write more about boys in all sports for all schools than they do for the girls. And another fact, I have been to both, mens and womens sports at UT, and there are just as many or more people who attend LADY VOL BASKETBALL GAMES, and have heard the name PAT SUMMITT than you probably would want to believe. Hate to bust your bubble, but life is not all about BOYS. And one more thing, don't know if anyone else has noticed or not, but it is funny how so many people know all about this ordeal, but later, can make another post and not know anything about what is going on.

To respond to your post, True Unaka fans remember past seasons in all sports, good seasons or bad. Now as far as knowing alot about the situation, I only know what I have read and heard at barbershops and ball games. I do remember Snavely's last season, and I also remember his first last season when numbers were down and Donnie Ensor took over. Those seasons were similar in comparison to the current girls situation. I can also vaguely remember when Dallas Williams was the coach and Snavely took over, that was also similar. However things werent always peachy with the girls program. Going back to Junior Taylor who was replace by Ron Hicks who served two terms as the coach and then Don Parky then on to Larry Bowling who was stabbed in the back after winning 18-20 games went deep into the tournaments. Heck I may have missed one there has been so many. So the track record for head coaches in girls basketball has not been real stable. To respond to the vol situation, Pat Summitt is a great coach undoubtably, But anyone who has coached as long as she has is going to have name recognition. As far as attendence they didn't remodel Thompson Bowling for Pat's National Championships, they did it because They sold out the arena when Bruce Pearl came town. Does that make the mens program better NO it just shows where popular intrests lie.

As for the accusations I don't know that is why hence the question mark to end the sentence. Any person who came to more than one game would know who sat across the gym. But if you really want to know names I'm sure Krichunaka could tell you he sat Coach Chambers most of the games.

"Now if in fact what has been said about Chambers is true, than [sic] he should have been removed, but again if not than [sic] he should have been able to stay." - - Quoting "trustyworthy"

The second quote is very indicting, coming from someone who claims not to know; and, coupled with your previous post, above, is contradictory at best. You also initiated the "lynch mob" claim, only to later defer to me; and this suggests that you see me as part of said - lynch mob.

For the record, I attended four home games: Cosby, Happy Valley, University High and Mitchell. I sat with several different people at different times, and most always joined Coach Chambers and others during the boys' games where we would often make after-game dinner plans.

So, it would seem prudent to, if you know nothing, to say nothing, rather than make such profound statements that at least imply that, Coach Chambers "should" have been removed, based on what you heard. So, it's either misleading, or simply tacky, for you to claim to have heard things that should have brought about his termination, only to step back and expect others to fill in the blanks for you.

And, as pointed out earlier, some of the previous coaches were in attendance at most of the games I attended; that, and the fact that Coach Parkey was at most, if not all of Unaka's games - home and away - during the Chambers era is proof-positive that there's a double-standard when discussing who should, or should not attend a basketball game.

It's also only fair to point out that Coach Chambers personally encouraged each of the new freshmen to play basketball... for Coach Wright.

Krich, sorry to hear all that is going on up at the creek. Really a mess. Right or wrong it's still again the kids that get hurt (even though some of it may have been brought on by themselves). Just a question for you, Do you think Coach Chambers should encourage each of the players that have decided to quit to play? (noticed you said he encouraged the new freshman to play) I believe all that has happened has really snow balled into something that is much worse than it should be. I believe that some people could not and have not let the Chamber deal go. Most kids only repeat what they hear from other people and if they hear it enough really begin to believe it's true. I know you can't speak for Coach Chambers nor would I want you to, maybe I should have asked the question in a different manor, so again If you were the preceding coach and had been let go by the administration would you encourage the players to stick it out and play or would you feel like it wasn't your place to say anything at all? Just wondering what you might do in that situation.

Krich, sorry to hear all that is going on up at the creek. Really a mess. Right or wrong it's still again the kids that get hurt (even though some of it may have been brought on by themselves). Just a question for you, Do you think Coach Chambers should encourage each of the players that have decided to quit to play? (noticed you said he encouraged the new freshman to play) I believe all that has happened has really snow balled into something that is much worse than it should be. I believe that some people could not and have not let the Chamber deal go. Most kids only repeat what they hear from other people and if they hear it enough really begin to believe it's true. I know you can't speak for Coach Chambers nor would I want you to, maybe I should have asked the question in a different manor, so again If you were the preceding coach and had been let go by the administration would you encourage the players to stick it out and play or would you feel like it wasn't your place to say anything at all? Just wondering what you might do in that situation.

I agree that the kids were/are hurt the most. These players - to include last season's seniors; the players who chose not to return this season; and the current sacrificial lambs - caught the brutal brunt of a several-seasons-long political struggle, originally ignited by a few disgruntled parents, and manipulated by local politicians and other interested participants. No particular person appears to have played the leading role, but several people were determined to change course, with blatant disregard for present/future success.

So, no, they didn't - none of them - bring it on themselves.

And it's disingenuous of those who have suggested that Coach Chambers led a lynch mob or otherwise attempted to undermine the authority of the current staff, whereas, more likely, the botched handling of the situation in late-summer, left the team in disarray.

It's late (even for me). I'll follow up soon.

Nice to see you back; and by the way, great job of remaining silent with the Happy Valley - Elizabethton situation.

To respond to your post, True Unaka fans remember past seasons in all sports, good seasons or bad. Now as far as knowing alot about the situation, I only know what I have read and heard at barbershops and ball games. I do remember Snavely's last season, and I also remember his first last season when numbers were down and Donnie Ensor took over. Those seasons were similar in comparison to the current girls situation. I can also vaguely remember when Dallas Williams was the coach and Snavely took over, that was also similar. However things werent always peachy with the girls program. Going back to Junior Taylor who was replace by Ron Hicks who served two terms as the coach and then Don Parky then on to Larry Bowling who was stabbed in the back after winning 18-20 games went deep into the tournaments. Heck I may have missed one there has been so many. So the track record for head coaches in girls basketball has not been real stable. To respond to the vol situation, Pat Summitt is a great coach undoubtably, But anyone who has coached as long as she has is going to have name recognition. As far as attendence they didn't remodel Thompson Bowling for Pat's National Championships, they did it because They sold out the arena when Bruce Pearl came town. Does that make the mens program better NO it just shows where popular intrests lie.

Trustworthy, I must admit Bruce Pearl has had larger crowds, than Lady Vols, but according to the records on the offical VOL SITE, before Pearl, in Jan. 1989, crowds were at a record high of approx. 25,600. Since, they had declined to present time, 2007-2008, of approx. 20,000, with a Pearl record of 22,300 in Jan 09. Now, with that being said, the LADY VOLS on the other hand, began in 1990-1991 with record attendance of less than 5,000, but to present date they are hosting crowds of no less than approx. 16,000, with record attendance of 24,000 or better, giving them an increase of at least 11,000. So now to say that the remodeling was done because of men's basketball would be, well, your opinion. All that, just to say this, TRUE UNAKA FANS, get the facts, from the root of the sources, and not at a barbershop. There are always two sides to EVERY story, and yes, Wes has his as well, ( I AM SURE), but so do these young ladies. Most people probably do not know, they tried to the best of their ability to solve this situation, someone ask did they talk to their Principal, YES, they did, own their own, after the fact the parents found out. I have been told, by one of the girls that she has tried to make an appointment to talk to MR. WILLIAMS, but got NO response back from him. This, at first, may have been to some degree about Coach Chambers, he was THEIR coach. For some of the girls, not only in basketball, but 2 to 3 years of Jr. High Softball as well. They liked him and respected him. Now, i am NOT blind to the fact, everyone did not like him, HELLO!! there were lots of people who wanted him out, people who had kids who had played for him or people who did not have kids. I, myself, wasn't always pleased, but as my daughter said to me often you don't play I do (with disrespect NOT intended) but I would not have wanted him fired, but if here in the real world you get rid of someone on the job, you at least have someone who can do as good of job or better than, NEVER WORSE THAN. Unless its girls sports!!! When they have to change coachs from elementary ball to high school ball it is an adjustment, but, they know that elementary ship has sailed and must move forward. Just like shortly, after the dismissal of Coach Chambers they realized he was gone and would NOT be back. THE SHIP SAILED!!!! And this is far more about what they dealt with during THEIR season with Coach Wright. As a previous coach said to me recently, if its one or two players making a deal about something then you don't think so much about it, but when its all of your VARSITY players then there is a problem.. These are not bad grade students, trouble making students, these young ladies make mostly ALL A's, to my knowledge they are all active in their churches and youth groups, (and NO they does not make them perfect either or anyone else for that matter) they have decent reputations, they all are planning to go to college. They ARE NOT TROUBLE MAKERS!!! So, yes, Screenandroll you are right, they have been hurt by all this mess, if they don't play anymore high school basketball, they will get over it, why? because as we know as adults, life goes on, will they forget? NEVER, they will ALWAYS REMEMBER and realize eventually what roll their school leaders played in this, and so will the young ladies that played this past season. WHAT A MEMORY!!! You also, ask Krich a question, did Coach Chambers encourage the girls to play? I know for certain he did my daughter, she was already off to a ruff start, she had had heart surgery and missed some time and became discouraged, she wanted to QUIT, and he told her she needed to hang in there, she needed to be playing, he knew her potential as he did the others as well. He encouraged them to stick together and play. (just a thought, if she had of quit, Mr. Trustworthy, you could have posted on the Bowling Transfer post about her being a new recruit, as well, instead of her being one of the "all Americans of Unaka". Another thing, TRUE UNAKA FANS don't put off on their own.