Unakas girls

TedEBear

Many former coaches attend Unaka games, because they love the game, love the school and love the kids from the community. However, all the coaches did NOT sit right across from the bench 99% of the time. Very hard for the current coaching staff and players not to notice. (This includes away games as well as home games.)

Wright had/has an uphill battle to coach this team. He is not perfect. He has a long way to go, but like another poster suggested, he probably won't be around long enough to grow and mature into a better coach.

As for the kids that quit, I'm sure they thought alot about it before they did so. That's a hard decision for kids that love the game (and this is a great group of kids) They will be missed by the fans. I wish them all well in whatever they decide to do. Whether it's going back to the team, going to another school to play or focusing on another interest. Remember, it's the kid's that matter in this!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the kids were/are hurt the most. These players - to include last season's seniors; the players who chose not to return this season; and the current sacrificial lambs - caught the brutal brunt of a several-seasons-long political struggle, originally ignited by a few disgruntled parents, and manipulated by local politicians and other interested participants. No particular person appears to have played the leading role, but several people were determined to change course, with blatant disregard for present/future success.

So, no, they didn't - none of them - bring it on themselves.

And it's disingenuous of those who have suggested that Coach Chambers led a lynch mob or otherwise attempted to undermine the authority of the current staff, whereas, more likely, the botched handling of the situation in late-summer, left the team in disarray.

It's late (even for me). I'll follow up soon.

Nice to see you back; and by the way, great job of remaining silent with the Happy Valley - Elizabethton situation.

Krich, it's good to be back (have been out of the scene for a while). First according to some of the other posts the girls did do some things on their own, right or wrong, so I would have to say they did bring some of this on. On the HV, Elizabethton situation I haven't gotten enough information to put forth my thoughts. I also will do that at a later time. I do know there will be some unhappy people down at the Valley and probably even some in the Cyclone nation. But this transfer will make the Cyclone team a much stronger team and if it doesn't mess up the chemistry of the team will give them a great chance to make a really deep run in the post season.

By the way my question was, would you encourage the players that have quit to rejoin the team? One post made it sound as if I was asking if Coach Chambers had done any encourageing one way or the other for these players.

Just my thoughts on the Unaka situation. I not a big fan of quiting. Maybe as a last option. I don't think they should have done it as a group. If one individual had a major problem then maybe it would have been best for them to leave. It's nice they show loyalty to each other but you know each group must have a leader and most of the group follows. I'm sure each individual had some bad experiences but if it was just them would it have been bad enough for them to quit. I lot of people like to jump on the bandwagon as it rolls down the road, especailly if gets cheered and encouarged on the way. I have watched Unaka play and I agree they did not look like the best coached bunch I have seen but I remember other coaches first year and their teams had also looked like that. The Coach Chambers situation is long gone, again, right or wrong it is done. I voice my opinion on that way back when it happened. If some of the things that have happened during the season with the players are true then I also agree some of it might have been excessive, but excessive enough to quit? Not sure. These girls should realize they play the game for the love of it and if they love it enough they should not let anyone keep them form playing, coach, parent, etc. This was their first year together, good things, bad things are going to happen. Each side has to make an adjustment. I do believe things would have been better this year if they would have been given a chance from both sides. People are quick to make harsh decisions these days and that seems to be the trend, if I don't like I'll just quit. I don't think this is the answer if all and I mean all other avenues have been tried. And that's just my thought.

I still think those girls come back before all of this is said and done...

Coach Wright will be in a position where he will have to take them because of his numbers (even if he has said he wouldnt) and the girls will be hero's because they saved the season (even if they said they would never play for him).

It's easy to say you arent going to play in June, much harder to say that in October. Just like its easy to say you wouldnt let them back on in the summer, and much harder with that season breathing down your neck in october.

Just another question which does go a long with this situation, I wonder what the girls at Daniel Boone that quit think now? Maybe Buc daddy will read this and give us some insight to their situation. I wonder how they will feel 10 years down the road. I have known a lot of kids that quit for some reason or another and about 90% of those now say it was a very big mistake for them to have quit and wish they never would have done it. I wonder if those girls (Boone) still feel like it was the right choice and did they accomplish what they wanted? The only thing to change in that situation was they didn't play and the team probably didn't win as many as games as they would have but the team still managed to go on without them. I hope these young ladies at Unaka sit back and really think about what they want. Their decision, and yes it is their decision, will only keep them from playing. The Unaka team will go on without them. I just hope they don't make a decision they will regret later on in life.

Just another question which does go a long with this situation, I wonder what the girls at Daniel Boone that quit think now? Maybe Buc daddy will read this and give us some insight to their situation. I wonder how they will feel 10 years down the road. I have known a lot of kids that quit for some reason or another and about 90% of those now say it was a very big mistake for them to have quit and wish they never would have done it. I wonder if those girls (Boone) still feel like it was the right choice and did they accomplish what they wanted? The only thing to change in that situation was they didn't play and the team probably didn't win as many as games as they would have but the team still managed to go on without them. I hope these young ladies at Unaka sit back and really think about what they want. Their decision, and yes it is their decision, will only keep them from playing. The Unaka team will go on without them. I just hope they don't make a decision they will regret later on in life.

Best post I've read! That 90% is what the players, parents, and "friends of the program" better look at. Ten years from now those young ladies that are in that 90%, and there will be some, will be looking at why they quit. That"s when you wouldn't want to be one of the ones that made it seem "ok" to quit. THAT is what they will NEVER forget OR forgive. REMEMBER, they will NEVER get it back!

bad coaching at the last min? as i recall the score was 66-14.

in the post you quoted i was not referring to the summer game. i was referring to some games in the last season. you beat us pretty good on the season but not 66-14, you beat the freshman and 3 sophmores who still decided to play for some odd reason, in a summer game 66-14 which congrats on that, now everyone will see how coach wrights future season will go. even worse than last year!

in the post you quoted i was not referring to the summer game. i was referring to some games in the last season. you beat us pretty good on the season but not 66-14, you beat the freshman and 3 sophmores who still decided to play for some odd reason, in a summer game 66-14 which congrats on that, now everyone will see how coach wrights future season will go. even worse than last year!

But you see that's where everyone is making a mistake, it's not his future, it's the future of the Unaka Lady Rangers....

Many former coaches attend Unaka games, because they love the game, love the school and love the kids from the community. However, all the coaches did NOT sit right across from the bench 99% of the time. Very hard for the current coaching staff and players not to notice. (This includes away games as well as home games.)

Wright had/has an uphill battle to coach this team. He is not perfect. He has a long way to go, but like another poster suggested, he probably won't be around long enough to grow and mature into a better coach.

As for the kids that quit, I'm sure they thought alot about it before they did so. That's a hard decision for kids that love the game (and this is a great group of kids) They will be missed by the fans. I wish them all well in whatever they decide to do. Whether it's going back to the team, going to another school to play or focusing on another interest. Remember, it's the kid's that matter in this!

Yes, you are correct. There was much time and thought put in the decision of quitting. It was a hard one, but we feel like its best for us. We can focuse on other things, like more study time, or another sport.

I must say I am really going to miss the game, the fans who came to support us, and many other things basketball brought to me. I loved playing it and me and my other teammates put a lot of time into it the past few years. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I just wish things could be the way they were my freshman year, but they wont ever be close to that again. We split with Cloudland, Hampton, North Greene & won some other pretty big games. We also got 2nd in our conference. We had a very successful summer, we lost i believe 4 games out of twenty some. (we were playin BIG schools too). This past season was disasterous, it is no secret to anyone who watched us. It just really bothers me the things people are posting, putting down our talents. We may not be "All-Americans" ( DR. ENough) but I do believe we are just as good as most around here as individuals. I improved tremendously over the last summer, because I worked my butt off in the gym day in and out, just like my other teammates. I may not be the greatest player, but i can play, and I love to play the game. It is honestly killin me not being at camps right now. I wanna play, but I am not going through another year like last year. I don't understand why some of the posters on here, who are grown adults, would sit there and put kids down. This whole situation has gotten way out of hand. It makes me sick to come on here and read some of the things posters have posted towards us. Most are from other areas like Unicoi. How do you figure you even know whats going on to have any business in posting things like you do? Not only Unicoi, but other schools as well. You guys have no clue of the situation, except maybe in bits and pieces. I'm just tired of looking at all this mess on here. it concerns Coach Wright, the players, & parents. not everyone else. If anyone has questions to the 6 who have quit. Ask us, we are frequent posters on here. Quit assuming things & just find out from the real sources. And for the ones who say we will wait & come back, WRONG. Our decision is final. I will play somewhere else or not play at all before I come back and play for Coach Wright.

But you see that's where everyone is making a mistake, it's not his future, it's the future of the Unaka Lady Rangers....

with coach wright coaching there is no future for the lady rangers.or not much of one. period.

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Daniel Boone, Unaka, Claiborne County, and any number of other schools have had, or are presently experiencing Coaching/Personnel dilemmas. Each is unique, and each individual is left to decide for herself.

The Daniel Boone players I've met were at peace with their decisions. That's good enough for me.

Several of the Unaka players and their parents have made it very clear, to the Principal, to the Superintendent, and others that, Yes, they'd love to play. That, on principle, they've chosen not to participate, under the circumstances, doesn't make them leaders or followers, nor should they be categorized. Perhaps such judgements should be with-held, at least until after each and all of them have made the decision to return.

Or not.

All of them will have given ample thought and prayer throughout the process.

Surely, Screen, surely you're not gonna pick a fight with a sixteen-year-old ...on Father's Day? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Don't want to pick a fight with anyone. Just giving my opinion on the matter. And to me they are making it more important about themselves than they are the program (both sides). That's whats wrong with sports today it's more about the individual than the team.