TSSAA Board of Control Meeting

PHargis

I'd vote for anything that shortens the season to a reasonable length.

1. Play the girls and boys state tournaments concurrently. They do it during Spring Fling.

2. No tournament lasts longer than a week. Week for districts, week for regions, sectional over a weekend and week for state. Three weeks is all it takes to get to a state champion after the regular season. The dang season starts in October and doesn't end until March.

That is true but no other season has holidays in it. In retrospect, basketball does play during that time and much of the play is out of state and in state tournaments with sometime added I'm sure for weather. Why is football so long? Volleyball starts the last week in July and goes thru mid October if you add preseason.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is that fair? If you are going to 4 teams, it should be the best 4 teams, no matter where they come from. If the best 4 teams are from Nashville, then a Jackson team that is the 5th best team shouldn't go ahead of them - or vice versa.

Seems your talking about a ranking system, AKA BCS, the worst system in th world. If a so called tenth rated team beats a 4th rated team, so be it "survive and advance". It is called an upset. Bring your A game in tournaments or go home. If you wanted to cross over what is now the 1st round of the state tourney and have west play mid west giving the opportunity for 2 west or 2 mid west to play the fianl 4 , I can go for that.

I would make two changes to the basketball format.

#1 - only allow top three district teams to advance to region from districts, schedule the region tourney to begin on Friday night at the higher seed, on Saturday night play 4 semifinal games, then Monday play the championship.

#2 Add a round between substate and state to narrow the field down to four teams, and have all classes both boys and girls play the state tourney in one week. It would then be same number of teams, would allow people to travel to a "sub-state" or "sectional" game easier than going to Murfreesboro. I say that hating to lose 8 teams in the tourney, but if we are so bent on change. I would say at that point we might consider a rotation of tourney sites. Memphis and or Jackson, Murfreesboro or Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and maybe even Cookeville.

Regular season was over on like February 15th and the boy's state finals was on March 21st. To win district, region, sectional and state takes 9 games, but it takes 5 weeks to play them? I'd like to see how competitive the 3 and 4 seeds out of district have been historically in state. Same for football. Sending half the state to the post season is for $$$$ only.

I don't have a problem with the regular season, but our guys play Thanksgiving weekend, and during Christmas break just like they do when school is in session. 3 basketball games a week for high school post season is not that taxing. Two weeks could be shaved off the post season with minimal effort.

• 2 weeks later...

If they are worried about attendance and want to turn that around, move the tournament to Cookeville, like football! This area would pack TTU for every game...the fans here are great...all these schools have big turnouts for home and away games...Pickett Co, Clarkrange, Clay Co, Jackson Co., Livingston, Upperman, York, White Co, Cookeville, plus a lot of fans would come down from Kentucky...I have friends who come from Adair Co, Albany & Wayne Co. KY to Pickett games when their schools aren't playing. The area would be very supportive and with Clarkrange, Upperman, Livingston, Clarkrange, Pickett Co., Jackson Co and Clay Co. all having a great shot at going to the state, they would have huge crowds attending. Those not making it would still turn out to force to watch. Wake up TSSAA! You made a smart move with football, do the same for basketball!

That makes no sense! The more classifications, the more schools will go and the better chance schools will have of making it and schools which haven't made it before or in a while would be very excited and would come out! In "A' Jackson Co. is a big "A" school and has a chance to go every year...Clarkrange most likely will be there. That leaves out Pickett co. or Clay co. or Gordonsville or Friendship...in that region. Move Jackson Co up one classification, still below Livingston and Upperman, and now you'll have even more schools with big followings go to state.

That makes no sense! The more classifications, the more schools will go and the better chance schools will have of making it and schools which haven't made it before or in a while would be very excited and would come out! In "A' Jackson Co. is a big "A" school and has a chance to go every year...Clarkrange most likely will be there. That leaves out Pickett co. or Clay co. or Gordonsville or Friendship...in that region. Move Jackson Co up one classification, still below Livingston and Upperman, and now you'll have even more schools with big followings go to state.

Or you can thin it down and the level of play and meaning of making a state tournament would go up exponentially. Its virtually a given for some programs in certain areas of the state that they will at least make the sectionals before going up against a worthy foe. Kentucky and Indiana adopt a one class system and have to find building far bigger than Murphy Center to host............

No system is going to be perfect. Isn't this ALL about money that TSSAA is or isn't making? I see good points about the way it is now and all the suggestions you guys have made here. Attendance was better for the girls state tournament than it was for the boys, right. The bottom line is that in general, the more rural teams, even in boys, bring better crowds. The crowd for the boys finals was terrible. Look where the teams were from that were playing. There is not going to be a simple answer.

Why stop with worrying about the state tourney format? Lets address some relevant issues with the TSSAA. For instance, why are small schools penalized and not allowed to play tournament games at home, even if they have earned it with a better record, because their gyms don't fit the TSSAA minimum?

The minimum seating requirement for a single-A school is 1000 seats. That is 4 times the number of students in our entire school (251).

However, the minimums for larger schools don't follow the same formula:

AA schools must be able to seat 1250 students. For a school such as Unicoi County or Elizabethton, that amounts to about 2 times the number of students.

AAA Science Hill, one of the largest schools in the state must only seat 1500 people. That doesn't even provide enough seats for their student population of 2158.

So, there are at least two single A schools in the state that have been fined, placed on probation, and forbidden to host tournament games. Because they can't afford to have gyms that meet TSSAA requirments. Requirements that are unreasonable and unfair.

I couldn't care less where we play the championship, I would just like a little intelligence and justification for their actions from the TSSAA.

The Highlander

That's all about $$$$, but I agree it's not fair.

It's always about the money!!! However, if your one of the best teams in the state you will make it to the state tourney reguardless if we have 4 or 6 divisions.

In my opinion Tennessee hands out way to many golden balls!

Their should be 2 divisions----small and big, but then how would t$$aa make any money?