Pharr leaving Farragut

prepxtra

Farragut High School baseball coach Tommy Pharr is expected to announce to his team tonight that he??™s taking the same job at Christian Academy of Knoxville, two sources close to the situation confirmed this afternoon. See Prepxtra.com story.

Kent Mathews (CAK) did not know that he was NOT being rehired until Tuesday. Pharr was already

hired!!! CAK strikes again!! How can you justify firing the District Coach of the Year. Mathews was

a wonderful role model and great coach.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kent Mathews (CAK) did not know that he was NOT being rehired until Tuesday. Pharr was already

hired!!! CAK strikes again!! How can you justify firing the District Coach of the Year. Mathews was

IF that is true it is terrible!

That is probably one of the reasons Pharr is leaving now. He said it was good timing.

I don't know what he meant by timing, but if you saw the Admirals play--they are loaded up with talent for the next classes as well.

Actually it is. He told me 2 years ago that he did not go to CAK (before the 2007 season) because he had such a great bunch of players returning. 2 rings later, he goes.

For those who thought he recruted, he did not--but he can now.

For the CAK parents who think their kid is gonig to play for the "man"--get ready, you will be amazed at the players who will enroll at your school to play for Tommy.

Actually it is. He told me 2 years ago that he did not go to CAK (before the 2007 season) because he had such a great bunch of players returning. 2 rings later, he goes.

For those who thought he recruted, he did not--but he can now.

For the CAK parents who think their kid is gonig to play for the "man"--get ready, you will be amazed at the players who will enroll at your school to play for Tommy.

He can't recruit at CAK either(if you mean give financial aid to get them to come). No financial aid is given to any HS student that plays sports. Big change for Coach as talent pool is tiny compared to Farragut. Younger players may apply to CAK due to Coach's rep.

Not all of the truth in your comments--that's why they say the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth. CAK wanted and needed an on-campus coach and that was clearly defined to everyone three years ago and since. Tough spot for everyone. Coach M is a good man.

He can't recruit at CAK either(if you mean give financial aid to get them to come). No financial aid is given to any HS student that plays sports. Big change for Coach as talent pool is tiny compared to Farragut. Younger players may apply to CAK due to Coach's rep.

Hey warrior, a question, how many "multi sport" athletes were on the baseball team last year? Can Pharr share players? i dont think he ever had to in the past

Not all of the truth in your comments--that's why they say the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth. CAK wanted and needed an on-campus coach and that was clearly defined to everyone three years ago and since. Tough spot for everyone. Coach M is a good man.

Coach M offered to take care of fields and even teach PE. He was never given the

chance. M has been offering for 3 years. Coach M also had things worked out for

a former coach to help him with the baseball team and this man IS on campus.

Also worth noting, the 2 assistant baseball coaches did not leave because of their

displeasure with Coach M. They left because of the way coaches are being treated

at CAK

My comments are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Maybe you

just can't handle the truth!!!

Coach M offered to take care of fields and even teach PE. He was never given the

chance. M has been offering for 3 years. Coach M also had things worked out for

a former coach to help him with the baseball team and this man IS on campus.

Also worth noting, the 2 assistant baseball coaches did not leave because of their

displeasure with Coach M. They left because of the way coaches are being treated

at CAK

My comments are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Maybe you

just can't handle the truth!!!

This is a puzzling situation if what you say is the truth which you seem to point out pretty clearly. He has his separate baseball operation with thunder and while that was a help to CAK, CAK wanted to have a real coach that could be a head coach on the field, while being listed as the head coach. Im not sure how coach M could have taught PE and run his operation over at thunder. Maybe they saw it that way. Im a big kent matthews fan and have known him since i was 4 or 5 so i hate to see him have to go like this. Im sure they had their reasons though. No worries, he'll always have his place here in the baseball community in knoxville. My question is, what does he do next?

This is a puzzling situation if what you say is the truth which you seem to point out pretty clearly. He has his separate baseball operation with thunder and while that was a help to CAK, CAK wanted to have a real coach that could be a head coach on the field, while being listed as the head coach. Im not sure how coach M could have taught PE and run his operation over at thunder. Maybe they saw it that way. Im a big kent matthews fan and have known him since i was 4 or 5 so i hate to see him have to go like this. Im sure they had their reasons though. No worries, he'll always have his place here in the baseball community in knoxville. My question is, what does he do next?

Buckner to Farragut...Sullivan to Bearden...Matthews to Catholic? Hmmmm. Would be interesting and certainly feasible with Matthews already used to being the Head Coach in everything except name.

Buckner a long time Farragut/Pharr guy, Sullivan a standout Bearden alum, and Matthews has worked with lots of the Catholic players via Thunder Baseball.

Is this the first time that a non-head coach (officially) was named as a District Coach of the Year?

Agree that this situation could have been handled a little differently after all of Kent's time and effort for the last few years. At least sounds like it was done disrespectfully.