3 sport players

radio33

So Football wants you to make workouts ,Basketball has summer camps all summer , and Baseball has summer Schedule full . Then you have all 3 sports pulling saying be here , mandatory be here. Sometimes all 3 in 1 day. The kids are kids and shouldnt have to pick one over the other . Do other schools coaches get together and make schedules that dont conflict ? Just wondering seems like I would hate to loose a good player just because of schedule conflict and mandatory dates.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Football wants you to make workouts ,Basketball has summer camps all summer , and Baseball has summer Schedule full . Then you have all 3 sports pulling saying be here , mandatory be here. Sometimes all 3 in 1 day. The kids are kids and shouldnt have to pick one over the other . Do other schools coaches get together and make schedules that dont conflict ? Just wondering seems like I would hate to loose a good player just because of schedule conflict and mandatory dates.

To me this simple if the coaches have a problem with a kid playing other sports that's there problem. In the spring when HS baseball is over and the kid is playing football in the fall then the summer should be devoted to preparing for football season in the fall forget about summer baseball. When football season is over he moves onto the basketball team when basketball is over he then goes out with the baseball team.

To me this simple if the coaches have a problem with a kid playing other sports that's there problem. In the spring when HS baseball is over and the kid is playing football in the fall then the summer should be devoted to preparing for football season in the fall forget about summer baseball. When football season is over he moves onto the basketball team when basketball is over he then goes out with the baseball team.

No way. Summer is baseball season. Football starts last week of July when two a days start.

i think it is dependent on player and level of play. If he is good enough, coaches will make it work. most are not going to run off a good player even if he misses some practices and workouts.

I think things can be worked out if the coaches want them to be worked out. Summer is definitely baseball season and when you're talking about a sport whose regular season is Mar. 9th- Apr. 28th? What's that, 7 1/2 weeks? Football has 10 weeks. Basketball has 14 weeks. That's just regular season games. Football post season is 5 weeks long for the 2 in the championship game, basketball post season is 5 weeks long for those that go to state. Baseball post season is 3 weeks long for those that go to state.

Logistically, I think they could shorten basketball post season by 2 weeks without trying hard. They should extend regular season of baseball by at least 2 weeks and play state after graduation if necessary.

My son did it for 2 years at the high school level before he decided to give up one. It was basketball because it ate time at the front end of baseball and in the summer. Football conditioning and weight training doesn't prevent summer baseball the way that 3 weeks of all day basketball camp does. Summer baseball is typically over by the middle of July and then it's on to 2 a days for football. The summer is the time to be seen for baseball players. Football guys go to camps to get their names out there and basketball has AAU tournaments, but baseball prospects are recruited in the summer showcases and tournaments. I think baseball guys would gladly give up fall baseball if they could get their summers back.

No way. Summer is baseball season. Football starts last week of July when two a days start.

i think it is dependent on player and level of play. If he is good enough, coaches will make it work. most are not going to run off a good player even if he misses some practices and workouts.

Summer is not the High School baseball season. Spring Fling is over around the 3rd week of May.

If a football player doesn't put time in to work out prior to the start of two a days, and other players/competitors do, he most likely will get hurt and definately will be behind.

Basketball Coach wants you play during the summer. Baseball Coach has 60 games scheduled. Football Coach wants you to work out and play in passing league games.

Football Senior Day camps to attend, Baseball Showcase camps to attend, etc, etc,.

Whew!!!!!

It's hard to follow you post Seq (run on sentences). But Ksgovols said it all. Baseball always takes the very back seat.

Summer is not the High School baseball season. Spring Fling is over around the 3rd week of May.

If a football player doesn't put time in to work out prior to the start of two a days, and other players/competitors do, he most likely will get hurt and definately will be behind.

Basketball Coach wants you play during the summer. Baseball Coach has 60 games scheduled. Football Coach wants you to work out and play in passing league games.

Football Senior Day camps to attend, Baseball Showcase camps to attend, etc, etc,.

Whew!!!!!

I think the point is Summer is not any high school sport season so all of them are fighting for time. It is the natural season for baseball. Moreso than those 30 something degree nights in March when we're sitting in front of propane heaters warming bats between innings. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> What TSSAA has done is allowed time in the summer for the off season sports the same as they do during the other sports when they aren't in season. What has happened is that summer basketball camps and 7 on 7 workouts have become mandatory instead of optional. CHS went to football camp right before school started in the old days didn't they? I never saw a high school coach during the summer that I can remember.

Any sport can say that the players that don't work out are going to be behind those that do. The baseball guys that don't play all summer are behind those that do play. The basketball guys that skip out on camp are going to be behind those that do. The football guys that aren't lifting and conditioning are going to be behind the ones working out every day, BUT coaches could work with each other and get the kids a lot of work in their respective sports.

Spoken like a true football person. Coffee County is pretty good about working things out and using some common sense. There will always be conflicts, though. But no, summer should not be dedicated straight to football. After the dead period would be a good time to start working into shape for football practice that starts in late July. But basically it's going to be up to the coaches to exercise a little give and take. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen everywhere. Basically, with football and basketball next on the sports schedules once summer arrives, players (and coaches) should probably understand football first, basketball second and then baseball. Most schools have football workouts in the mornings and baseball at night during the summer anyway, I think. Then during basketball camps, obviously players should attend those and just miss the other two during. Just my two cents.

June to the beginning of the last wk in July should be a period of time to where no HS/MS coaches are allowed to mandate practices. All practices, work-outs, camp, etc. during that time should specfically be as optional only. This gives kids from every sport the opportunity to work on the sport they want to as much as they want to, as well as go on family vacations, without any reprecussions from coaches.

These coaches that are mandating athletes "out of season" are the ones that are to blame for the lack of the "3 sport players", today.

For schools that must share players, the smart coaches are the ones that get together and work it out. Otherwise some of the best athletes play one sport while other good athletes play another. The result is no program is as good as it can be. Baskeball and Baseball can easily share guys. I agree with some above posts that football begins in July.